SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been trying to follow up with the other xc owners that got pcv work done. For some reason i cannot look at forms but i can post them.... i tried on google chrome and safari no luck.... SO, roghly a month ago i got a brand new oil trap from FCPeuro for my xc60. Got it installed for 100$ plus other things they did for me. (i know they ripped me off) Since then, my check engine light has been on pretty much the entire time.. Whereas before it was on and off half the time.. so finally about a week ago the light finally turned off, and my avg mpg slowly started going up... SCORE! i even took a 2 hour total trip that day and the car did run a TAD diffrently (better). So yesterday, i noticed that the oil dipstick was about 3/4 full. Thankfully i had a tiny bit of oil left to mildly help fill it up.... after that, the check engine light is back on, the mpg is slowly going back down to below 19 MPG.... i got the code read at auto zone and they said it just came back as "PCV SYSTEM" thats it, no code.. UGH. what do you guys think? anybody else have this issue? (using castrol full syntetic 5w30 magnatec turbo formula and MANN oil filter).

I guess its a good thing i got the lifetime warranty on the PCV oil trap. Im getting annoyed now. Might have to replace it sooner than later.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
There is no PCV code, lol. And if you think paying $100 to have that installed is a ripoff, then good luck with the rest of your cars ownership.
There are a number of possible issues just from replacing the PCV box that can happen. Most common is not plugging exhaust camshaft position sensor back in. Next is failure to reset fuel adaptions after replacement. Usually there is a lean fault stored and just clearing it doesn't reset the fuel adaptions. You can reset adaptions by performing a battery reset or use VIDA and do it. I've seen the gasket on the PCV box rolled before causing an air leak. Also seen where the breather hose to the intake pipe becomes detached.
I seriously doubt the new PCV box is bad.

Before you do anything else you really should have the vehicle looked at by someone who knows what they are doing and get a proper VIDA scan.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ahh yes the classic, I diagnosed the car myself, paid someone to put on my internet purchased parts and now I'm mad its still broken because I didn't have a clue what I was doing in the first place.

How about you post your before and after codes and we can work from there? You post reads like a bad ASE question. Lots of extra information, no substance. I'm not sure why you replaced the oil trap in the first place? CEL, noise, leaks?

·
Registered
879 Posts
if you think paying $100 to have that installed is a ripoff, then good luck with the rest of your cars ownership.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA this freaking made my night,.

Ahh yes the classic, I diagnosed the car myself, paid someone to put on my internet purchased parts and now I'm mad its still broken because I didn't have a clue what I was doing in the first place.
Funniest thing I ever read on here yet so true..... my week is brighter now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts