SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until now, the brakes on my 2010 XC60 T6 AWD were covered by the 60,000 mile warranty.

A reputable independent mechanic says I now need to replace rear brake pads and rotors— $550 all in. (He says the rotors are “dished.”)

The local Volvo dealer was offering a free brake check, so I took them up on it. The dealer says I need to replace the rear brake pads ($210 all in), but that the rotors are fine! I asked the dealer about the “dished” rotors. He said there is plenty left on those rear rotors.

Normally, I would expect the dealer to be gouging me, and the independent to be the cost-saving alternative. This time, the situation is reversed. What should I do? If I have them do the pads only, am I being penny-wise, pound-foolish?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My question is a really basic one about the mechanics/physics of disc brakes:
Is it normal to put new pads on slightly-dished rotors?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd get another opinion and see which way that one favors.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Turn the rotors at a local auto shop and replace the pads. No way a rotor is toast at 60k. Ours at 58k look about 1/3 expended... they are manhandling you for new rotors like the lube shops do with air filters...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize now that I should have been more precise in my original question.
One more time, and then I will stop hounding you guys…!

- What is the expected lifespan (in miles) of rear brake pads?
- What is the expected lifespan (in miles) of rear brake rotors?
- If I put new pads on, without replacing the dished rotors, will the pads conform to the rotor shape, so that, when I do need to replace the rotors, I will have to replace the pads too? (Or will it be time to replace the pads anyway?)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I realize now that I should have been more precise in my original question.
One more time, and then I will stop hounding you guys…!

- What is the expected lifespan (in miles) of rear brake pads?
- What is the expected lifespan (in miles) of rear brake rotors?
- If I put new pads on, without replacing the dished rotors, will the pads conform to the rotor shape, so that, when I do need to replace the rotors, I will have to replace the pads too? (Or will it be time to replace the pads anyway?)
Coming into this late but I guess after 35 years of diy'ing my cars I've never heard of dished rotors. As far as the expected life of the components it's difficult to say without knowing the driving style. I would use a more quantitative approach by measuring the rotor and pad thickness. It's fairly simple since there is a wear specification for each one. You can buy an inexpensive caliper to measure the rotors, pads can be measured with the same tool. From my experience it's possible that the rears would needs a full replacement at 75k, but if the dealer is suggesting just pads then why not go with their recommendation.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would agree with 3g3t7i. In my experience, two set of pads /set of rotors... if hey have small 'lip on the outer edge, that is normal. With independent, you's get a NAPA or some other disk that would last 40-50k. I use Zimmerman, always have. Since 2008. Before then, Volvo OEM which were just as good.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Reviving an ancient thread...
I replaced the rear pads only on my 2012 xc60 FWD at 40k miles 2 years ago. Did it myself for about $40 for aftermarket pads. It's at 53k mi now and the rears are fine, still lots of meat on the rotors. I didn't even machine the rotors. I believe in 2 sets of pads / 1 set of rotors

1 - 9 of 9 Posts