SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shopping around for a used car and went to test drive a 2010 V8 XC90 last night with my wife. I wanted to inquire about anyones thoughts on an 2010 XC90 with high miles 100K+ and what I should look out for.

Specifically I wanted to ask about the startup. When I started it up (and I tried this 4 or 5 times), it sounded like the engine took a second to kick on, when it drove it was smooth and powerful, and responded well but the sound at startup sounded like the belt that kicked the engine on needed a second or third rotation to actually fire up the engine. This is my first experience with Volvo and thought maybe because it is a larger V8, that it just needed two/three rotations to actually kick the engine on. I could be mistake about all of this as I am not a car guy, by any means. If anyone has a video or audio or their V8 kicking on that I could compare it to that would be great.

Most other cars on the dealers lots were brand new so I didn't really have a good baseline to compare it to. If anything needs clarification please ask and I will provide. Also what is a good going price for a clean 2010 V8 XC90 (no nav, just over 100K miles, really good service record, and been maintained well).

·
Registered
696 Posts
In general, a 2010 XC90 V8 is a great vehicle--one that I think represents the high point of the very well-regarded first generation XC90. If the size and configuration of the XC90 suit your needs, it is a smart choice. Even with the new model coming out, I think that well-kept examples of the first generation will have a timeless appeal. Perhaps not unlike the Jeep Grand Wagoneer in its own day.

The startup issue you describe is odd. Maybe an old or weak battery? My 2007 V8 starts up instantly--faster than any vehicle I've owned. JRL, a member on here who buys and sells Volvos as a business (and helped me purchase mine) even commented on how fast it started. This is with 120k miles, mind you. So, in my opinion there might be something wrong with the one you drove.

You'll find many threads on here with buyer advice. Search in this sub-forum using the word "alternator" and you should pull up most of the relevant discussions, since the alternator is frequently cited as a weak point on the V8 models (though a possible remedy--an extra cooling duct--was added in 2009, so the 2010 you're looking at might be better off).

Best bet: have a competent independent Volvo mechanic who knows these vehicles do a thorough pre-purchase inspection.

·
Registered
134 Posts
"Best bet: have a competent independent Volvo mechanic who knows these vehicles do a thorough pre-purchase inspection"

I second this!

This could also be the starter motor. I have a s80 v8, and need to have mine replaced. On startup, there is a pause, or a stutter, then it will kick in. Sometimes, I have to press the button again to get it going.
I bought the replacement for 360.00 at Lisle Volvo, and will have my mechanic install it. Not sure how much labor will be.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That Yamaha V8 is a rock solid engine. Past mid 2006 at least.
I agree with caliwagon - you should be more aware of other weak points - the engine is not generally one of them.
Power steering pumps are also notoriously weak (and not just in the XC90 too) on Volvos.
Also, the V8 XC90 will eat through tires and brakes like crazy. I typically get only 20k miles out of 60k mile tires but it is 90% city driving by my wife. I'm at 112k miles and I think the front brakes have been done 4 times, the last time by me and it wasn't a difficult job at all.
If the car has a good service record and no history of catastrophic failure, 100k miles shouldn't be a big deal for that engine. I would take time to consider other wear items on the car as well as how well the rest of the car has been taken care of.
My wifes is just finally in for new control arm bushings (first time since new) and surprisingly, the shocks are still in great shape.
Look through the service records recently to see if things like engine mounts, bushings and shocks have been done yet. Those would probably be the next most likely thing to need fixing at current mileage. Check to see if it has a Violvo battery (in rear). If so it is likely original and would be around 5 years old and in need of replacement anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm betting battery. Our S80 V8 exhibited similar starting issues and my wife kept insisting it needed a new battery. I didn't think it did, it just didn't present like a battery would in older cars. Replaced the battery and it was a night and day difference. These cars are so heavily laden and dependent on high tech electronics that a battery that isn't 100% can affect them more than older vehicles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Had the same problem in mine. Wouldnt start at the end. Had the starter replaced ($360 for a used one plus labor) and now it spins like a cat again. 2007 V8

·
Registered
699 Posts
Use ackebono euro's (ceramic) on the brake pads and they will last. Have over 65K on ours, OEM lasted only 20K (mostly city). Added benefit, zero brake dust!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Had the same problem in mine. Wouldnt start at the end. Had the starter replaced ($360 for a used one plus labor) and now it spins like a cat again. 2007 V8
Same here, our 07 V8 was starting slow or turning over slow. Replaced the battery and nothing changed, replaced the starter (under CPO) and it turns and starts instantly now. We're at 117K on ours with no end in sight, I'm actually kicking around the idea of trading my Acura for another XC. But, we'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts