SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own and love my '04 V70R Wagon. Past 200K mi. and looking @ a 2010 V70R. Is the same, better or lesser of a car than what I have? Any current owners that swear by the 2010 version?

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
There is no such thing as a 2010 V70R. Only an R design...

·
Registered
565 Posts
2010 R-Designs are very rare. I love the classic Volvo looks but could never find one with the right amount of miles. Just be careful. It has the 3.2 6 cyl which has a history of oil issues.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Currently own and love my '04 V70R Wagon. Past 200K mi. and looking @ a 2010 V70R. Is the same, better or lesser of a car than what I have? Any current owners that swear by the 2010 version?
Are you in the USA?
If so, there are no turbo AWD P3 V70 models.
Get an XC70 T6 AWD instead. A few lowering spring options are available if you desire.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
What they said ^. The R-design for the P3 V70 is purely cosmetic. While a good looking car, it has the 3.2 (sluggish motor compared to your current VR) and only fwd. I also had a 2004 V70R, and am VERY happy with the XC70 T6.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The R-design for the P3 V70 is purely cosmetic.
MOSTLY true... but it does have a free-er flowing exhaust and a stiffer+lowered suspension over the Non-RD V70s. But both "performance" upgrades are nominal-at-best.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is the same, better or lesser of a car than what I have? Any current owners that swear by the 2010 version?
I can "swear" by my '10 V70 RDesign. But... it is by no means an "R." Mine has been a good car for almost 5.5 years with me, but I do not win anything off the line, I'm pretty sure a CR-V can out-gun me. Though, it is super-comfortable, a great utility-alternative, gets plenty of looks and comments (oddly), and handles very well in spirited on/off highway driving.

If you can sacrifice size... skip on over to a V60 RDesign, that's the better performance match right now to what you have.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I had a V60 CC as a loaner for 2 weeks. From the driver's seat forward...LOVED the car! From the driver's seat back...not even close to what the P2 or P3 wagons can swallow. Rear seat leg room is non-existent, and cargo capacity is really disappointing. Great chassis, though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I echo T5 for Life's sentiments on the V60. It's great for front seat passengers but is really only suitable for small families. And by small, I mean 5'2" tall or shorter! The famous Volvo seats really do infringe on rear seat legroom and it's obvious the rear cargo hold is 1/4 the size of the V70/XC70. I still want a Rebel Blue V60 Polestar one day but not as my only "do everything" family car. The V70/XC70 really is the most Volvo of all current Volvos. If they ever get the bugs worked out of the XC90 I might be interested in that, but right now it's got too many quality issues and the price is too high for me to give it serious consideration.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can "swear" by my '10 V70 RDesign. But... it is by no means an "R." Mine has been a good car for almost 5.5 years with me, but I do not win anything off the line, I'm pretty sure a CR-V can out-gun me. Though, it is super-comfortable, a great utility-alternative, gets plenty of looks and comments (oddly), and handles very well in spirited on/off highway driving.

If you can sacrifice size... skip on over to a V60 RDesign, that's the better performance match right now to what you have.
I also love our V70RD. It has been the best compromise of a unbelievably useful utility/sporty car I've ever owned. I am also surprised that I get more random comments about it than any of the other car (92 civic race car, 99 brg/tan leather miata, fiesta ST). The suspension tuning is fantastic for a huge heavy car although with the low profile tires it is very harsh over the rough stuff around town. Get it up to speed and anticipate the suspension/steering response due to the weight and it handles great and rotates very well for what it is. Its not super fast, but is definitely no slouch. I'd estimate mid-high 7sec 0-60 but never timed it. It also tows a 1000 lb boat/trailer combo very well. Probably my largest complaint is that the permanent TCS system retards the throttle too much on corner exit to reduce wheel spin but the only time that is an issue is if you are silly enough to autox it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just FYI I smoked a RAV4 the other day in my V70 rd.
I've only had it for a few weeks now but I find the 3.2 to be quite responsive (I even have the PZEV).
I also have an 09 XC70 T6 and the biggest difference between the 2 that I notice is that the handling of the V70 rd is infinitely better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The handling is indeed nice and tight. After testing many models, it's what made me choose that particular model in 2013 and get another one last month. When my wife brings it in for servicing, she gets to try out other Volvo models for a few hours, and she feels that our car's steering is the still the tightest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts