SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is most for our European readers.
But now I've had my V70 D5 for a week and try to write some comment about it.

The new engine is much smoother when driving and you can't feel any "turbo kick" when driving it. You just get instant power from 1200 RPM which is really nice. But it's a lot different from the other Volvo diesels. You don't really feel the power. It's easy to drive to fast.

I have the new sports seats which isn't as good as I expected. They are not as good as the V70N seats. But still. it's an improvement from the old ones.

By the way it is a V70 D5 Summum 6-speed manual. So far I like it a lot.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: 2010 V70 D5 (Hyxarn)

Grattis! Snygg bil! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Congrats! Very nice car! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Re: 2010 V70 D5 (Needsdecaf)

Especially in Sweden I would have gone for the more powerfull and environmental friendly 2.5FT (231hp).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 2010 V70 D5 (Needsdecaf)

That is correct. The good part is that you never feel the turbo.

I don't think I will buy a 2.5FT. They use to much fuel in my point of view.
I drive to much. So I save a lot of money driving a diesel.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Hi,

I have a 08 xc70 D5 which I think is 2.4 litre.

So is your D5 different to mine like have they changed the turbo or engine configuration?? I have noted a pregnant pause when i plant the foot and when the power comes on. though when it comes on there is plenty of it.

On the highway i cannot believe the range my 70 has, its 1100 kilometres and you should do better with the lighter v70. In city traffic i spend the same amount of diesel as i did on petrol when i have my 2.5 subaru forester, though now i have comfort, space and safety. After about 10000 kms you will note a big increase in fuel economy so dont worry if its a bit heavy to start with because it really changes. I currently have 40000kms on mine and apart from a faulty radiator fan and some creaks it has been a dream all the way. I go camping and have a roofbox as well but my wife and I just cannot believe how much equipment we can get into the rear of this thing (I also have that heavy metal cage separating the trunk from the rear cabin so I can pile and push all the way to the roof).

Second question, i seem to think that the seats on the last model were better than the seats in my 70. They are a bit too flat and could have had more lateral support for my liking. It was as if the old seats were better.

If you can could u post some pics of these sports seats you are referring to. I presume they would be the ones available in the V70 T6's we get over here??

Enjoy your new ride!!!

Cheers
Hatdriver

ps wasnt saab a swedish firm before GM bought it - if so has the government stepped in to save it - just wondering as I noticed your from Sweden.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Hi,

I have a 08 xc70 D5 which I think is 2.4 litre.

So is your D5 different to mine like have they changed the turbo or engine configuration?? I have noted a pregnant pause when i plant the foot and when the power comes on. though when it comes on there is plenty of it.

On the highway i cannot believe the range my 70 has, its 1100 kilometres and you should do better with the lighter v70. In city traffic i spend the same amount of diesel as i did on petrol when i have my 2.5 subaru forester, though now i have comfort, space and safety. After about 10000 kms you will note a big increase in fuel economy so dont worry if its a bit heavy to start with because it really changes. I currently have 40000kms on mine and apart from a faulty radiator fan and some creaks it has been a dream all the way. I go camping and have a roofbox as well but my wife and I just cannot believe how much equipment we can get into the rear of this thing (I also have that heavy metal cage separating the trunk from the rear cabin so I can pile and push all the way to the roof).

Second question, i seem to think that the seats on the last model were better than the seats in my 70. They are a bit too flat and could have had more lateral support for my liking. It was as if the old seats were better.

If you can could u post some pics of these sports seats you are referring to. I presume they would be the ones available in the V70 T6's we get over here??

Enjoy your new ride!!!

Cheers
Hatdriver

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: 2010 V70 D5 (Hatdriver)

HatMan,

In AU we will get the new motor shortly...

This was from my dealer - about the MY2010 changes...

MY10 Cars start turning up late August and we know a little bit. XC70 changes are as follows:
· New front Grill with ironmark larger (Like the XC60)
· New power window switches (Better Looking apparently)
· Headliner will be Quartz for anthracite, quartz and cranberry interiors
· Upgraded VNS system for cars which have it.
· New 4 spoke steering wheel with deco inlay
· Alum trip around ignition bezel
· Barents blue is replaced by Caspian Blue in external colours.

The current D5 engine is being replaced by a New D5. It will now be twin turbo producing 151kW up from 136kW, and another 20Nm up to 420Nm.
Tyre Pressure monitoring is no longer available nor is water repellent glass on the rear-view mirrors.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hatdriver: It's a absolutely new engine. 151kW/205bhp and 420Nm of torque. But it's still a 2.4 litre engine. But now it has twin turbos. One small and one big working together. From low RPM:s only the small turbo works, and gradually the larger one kicks in, but you can't feel when the change happens.

I drove 1050 kilometers with my first tank of fuel which is really good for a brand new car. I filled it up with 68 liters of fuel. Close to 6.8L/100km for a brand new car is excellent. My old V70 II D5 with the 185bhp engine averaged about 6.3 after 60000 kms . So I'm really pleased with the new engine. I do most of highway/freeway driving.

I will try to post some pictures of the sports seats this weekend.
I think you can find some pictures of them on Volvos International website.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Hatdriver »
ps wasnt saab a swedish firm before GM bought it - if so has the government stepped in to save it - just wondering as I noticed your from Sweden.

Yes, like Volvo was before it was sold.

The current Swedish government is a neo-conservative one with a strong ideological commitment to free market ideals. Their level of interest in bailing out either Saab or Volvo has been considerable limited because of this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great! I tested the S80 with the new twinturbo D5 and it works very well

In my country at present this new D5 is not available on V70 but only for S80 and Xc60-70. I don't know why...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well after almost 11 loyal years, I'm saying good bye to my 1998 V70. The Government Scrappage programme and a hefty discount from my local dealer proved too much to resist. I will be sad to see the old girl go, she hasn't missed a beat, but from all the good stuff I'm reading about the new Euro V D5, I think I have made a great decision. Only 3 months to wait now...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: (volvo-4-life)

Hi V4L,

What color combo selection have you made. From your post I figure your getting the new D5. I notice notthestig has mentioned cranberry which I think he was referring to as a leather interior color option.

From the posts it is more powerful, smoother and without any delay but I wonder it is quieter (not that my (old) d5 is noisy but I was wondering if it is quieter.

cheers
Hatdriver.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: (Hatdriver)

Quote, originally posted by Hatdriver »
From the posts it is more powerful, smoother and without any delay but I wonder it is quieter (not that my (old) d5 is noisy but I was wondering if it is quieter.

The new D5 sounds more like a 5-cyl/6-cyl petrol engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: (Hatdriver)

I'm going for Titanium Grey, which with the R-Design gives me the dark interior, and the 2 tone black/white sports leather seats with R-Design inscription.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: (volvo-4-life)

Ordered yesterday my new MY2010 V70 D5 MT, sprayed in Ice White Solid and fitted with R-design trim! Now start waiting for nearly 2 months...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts