SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First post, I have a catastrophic crankshaft front seal leak and can’t seem to find any info on fixing this. I’ve made an initial attempt on getting Vida DiCE up and running with no success (due to my lack of computer know-how) and apparently there isn’t a repair manual or FSM on planet earth. The car is stranded a few towns over and I’m trying to gather a step-by-step before heading back over to fix it.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this and also could recommend what other items/parts I should be fixing while I’m in there (PCV..etc)

Many Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’ll even go so far as to ask if anyone can screenshot the process within their VIDA.. I’m fairly desperate to identify the process.

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Its just a big plug. If it popped out and you didn't lock up your motor, order a new plug, clean the area, lubricate the new plug and push it in as far as it goes.

·
Registered
16,831 Posts
From one 'id' to another, make sure you check oil level too!
Tech - wouldn't this be a sign of PCV clog, perhaps?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
From one 'id' to another, make sure you check oil level too!
Tech - wouldn't this be a sign of PCV clog, perhaps?
That plug is in there pretty tight. I've never seen one blow out. It would take some serious pressure. I would imagine the dipstick would pop out before that plug. But anything is possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That plug is in there pretty tight. I've never seen one blow out. It would take some serious pressure. I would imagine the dipstick would pop out before that plug. But anything is possible.
Thanks guys. The seal is still in there, but it was failing horribly and getting worse once I identified the issue.

I was hoping it was that easy but based on the dealership’s $1700 for a 6hr job, I thought it would be much worse. Just so I order the right part, the passenger side of the block is considered the “FRONT” of the engine, correct?

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
What exactly are they quoting for that? I think there's a misunderstanding here or their estimate is for other items.

The front sealing plug (part number 30637986) is under $20 and does not take long to replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What exactly are they quoting for that? I think there's a misunderstanding here or their estimate is for other items.

The front sealing plug (part number 30637986) is under $20 and does not take long to replace.
So unfortunately the car isn’t here and I can’t find an image anywhere, but I didn’t see the black plug when I had the passenger wheel removed and wheel well plastic pulled back, just what looked like the end of the crankshaft with a horribly leaking seal. With that said, I ordered a front crankshaft seal - 30637986.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks guys. The seal is still in there, but it was failing horribly and getting worse once I identified the issue.

I was hoping it was that easy but based on the dealership’s $1700 for a 6hr job, I thought it would be much worse. Just so I order the right part, the passenger side of the block is considered the “FRONT” of the engine, correct?

Thanks again
This T6 engine is oriented with the #1 cylinder on the passenger side. The timing chain and cam sprockets are on the driver's side (nearest #6 cylinder).
The transmission is attached to the rear, as are the accessory belt-drive items (AC, PS, vacuum pump, alternator). I'm not sure "front" and "rear" terminology fit a transversely mounted engine. You alternatively could describe the intake manifold as "front" and exhaust manifold as "rear".

This article has a nice mechanical drawing of the Volvo I6, as well as a discussion of "front" and "rear"

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/01/new_volvo_inlin.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts