SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

My CEL came on yesterday morning on the way in to work... great way to start the day at 6am. :mad:

Got home yesterday, got out the OBDII scanner... started the car, CEL was off. Ok. Plugged the scanner in, read the code (P0420) and went in to look it up. Didn't see anything here in the S80 Forum, but found some stuff in the R Forum... see link below.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...lyst-system-below-Efficiency-Threshold-(Bank1

Not knowing too much about exhaust/catalytic systems... is this something that needs attention right away? Car drives fine, but obviously don't want/need any other problems to come up with it.

A friend of mine here that I work with, suggested looking at the emissions warranty for the car... as most are 100k-120k miles. If so, the dealer would take care of this 'free of charge' if I am within the warranty, no??? I'm currently at 102k miles. Even if it's 100k mile warranty, maybe they would work with me anyways... seeing as how I recently gave them about $6k for a transmission replacement in our XC90!

Also, if it is in fact the catalytic converter starting to 'fail'... is replacing it with an OEM part the only way to go? I'd, of course, hate to replace it with a cheap aftermarket and end up doing it again in 30k miles.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I missed any info, please let me know.

Thanks!

Gregg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Cat failures are not rare on the T6, and are covered under the emissions warranty for 8 years, 120,000km. (You're well over the mileage limit, sadly)

It's an emissions issue only, and if you're not experiencing any drivability issues, it's not a big rush to have it fixed. If you clear the code and the code keeps coming back quickly, I would repair it sooner than later, but if it stays off for long periods, then no rush. (unless you have emissions testing where you live, obviously)

The O2 sensors need to be swapped to the new part, & unfortunately, I have never, ever, ever, had a front sensor not bind up and seize in the old cat, so you'll need a front O2 sensor as well. The rear sensor comes out easily.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you kindly for the response bracko, I appreciate it.

In talking with a few other guys I work with, they basically said the same thing. Replacing a couple O2 sensors is a lot cheaper than replacing a cat converter. Although, I did hear them (also) say that one of them is usually seized up... and may require a little extra effort.

I'll keep tabs on it... thanks again!

Gregg

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for grins... I thought I'd look up O2 sensor prices. Checked OEM on VolvoPartsWebstore... ouch! $175 and $263. a

Are OEM O2 sensors necessary? Has anyone replaced theirs with say Bosch, Denso or others??? There's a pretty big price difference...

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Just for grins... I thought I'd look up O2 sensor prices. Checked OEM on VolvoPartsWebstore... ouch! $175 and $263. a

Are OEM O2 sensors necessary? Has anyone replaced theirs with say Bosch, Denso or others??? There's a pretty big price difference...

Thanks.
Just put a spacer on the rear O2 sensor. Look under the car to see if you need a straight/angle/right-angle one for fitment.
Then gut your cat if you want... :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just put a spacer on the rear O2 sensor. Look under the car to see if you need a straight/angle/right-angle one for fitment.
Then gut your cat if you want... :)
Huh???

Can you elaborate on all points Warped? I have no idea what you're referring to with the spacer... and what good would gutting your cat do?

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Huh???

Can you elaborate on all points Warped? I have no idea what you're referring to with the spacer... and what good would gutting your cat do?
Adding a spacer puts the sensor out of the main stream of exhaust so the computer things the sensor is working and the cats are efficient... it is enough to even fool the car if you remove the cats entirely.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

Thanks.
i had to buy the part at the end of the fuel rail on her XC90. Prices were the same as what you are quoting. My wife went to the local O'Reillys, paid full retail of $75 for the no name brand, and in the box was a part labelled Bosch. the only difference was a piece for a screw to go through that holds a wire. A zip tie solved that. $75 beat the dealers price of something like $200. The old part was labelled Bosch and under it Volvo.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... it's been almost a full 2 months since I first posted the p0420 error code I was getting (and CEL), but it returned yesterday on the way in and I can't clear it this time using my Actron OBDII scanner tool. Haven't tried clearing with VIDA.

So... is it time to replace the O2 sensor? If so, just the front or both? I checked the earlier posts here, but didn't see anything for brand to use... is there a preferred brand? I thought I checked for Bosch, but didn't see one for my model/year of car. Or should I do the spacer that 'warped' mentioned in his posts? Anyone have a link to what I may need... or is it just called a 'O2 sensor spacer'?

If I don't get to this until Spring (still chilly here in the Great Lakes region, with "colder" temps coming next week)... is any further damage going to be done to anything???

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I'll do some more diggin'... can't stand that CEL staring at me when I drive. :mad:

Thanks guys.

Gregg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts