SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago at 110,000 miles I had a loud bang, not even close to a clunk, coming from the rear of my 2010 S80 3.2 FWD sedan. This was noticed at around 70,000 miles as well. A clunk would be a huge understatement. And the front of the car had a bad front end sway bar end link. I have been frustrated with this strange rear end dynamic and just living with it. It is very off-putting to me and passengers in the car. Especially when no other vehicle I've driven, or ridden in, is like this. So, I decided to replace the rear shocks and mounts, trailing arm bushings (they were shot), front struts, strut mounts, strut bearings, front spring seats. Everything was done by the dealer. The front end was a big improvement. The rear end seemed to be a little better. Maybe a 40% improvement.
Now, it seems I have lost some of that rear improvement after 1 year and approximately 16,000 miles. This is 100% of the time present when traveling over a bump in the road at 45 mph or higher when the bump spans both driver and passenger rear tires and is approximately 4 inches tall or higher. And, not when only 1 of the rear tires travels over a similar road defect. The streets of Chicago are a perfect test track for suspension issues. Has anyone had this jarring banging from the rear of the car before? I will say this, when the P3 3.2 chassis was marketed at a comfort chassis, I just thought it was a cruel joke.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some research regarding suspension dynamics and I believe the factory dampers are not setup correctly for normal road surfaces and daily commuting. At least for this model. I am also guessing these standard twin tube rear shocks and front struts are from OEM Sachs. In order for me to fix this, I will have to order Bilstein B6 dampers and have them custom valved/setup, by an engineer, to fix the bad factory setup. The factory dampers cannot properly handle the small road imperfections and the medium sized imperfections with their setup. Has anyone gone this route?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I feel like you didn't replace enough rear suspension components to declare victory. You mention the shocks and mounts and the trailing arms. What about subframe bushings? What about camber arms? They all have rubber wear elements that take more load when other parts have failed.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I did some research regarding suspension dynamics and I believe the factory dampers are not setup correctly for normal road surfaces and daily commuting. At least for this model. I am also guessing these standard twin tube rear shocks and front struts are from OEM Sachs. In order for me to fix this, I will have to order Bilstein B6 dampers and have them custom valved/setup, by an engineer, to fix the bad factory setup. The factory dampers cannot properly handle the small road imperfections and the medium sized imperfections with their setup. Has anyone gone this route?
You're totally wrong, but thanks for the good laugh! BTW 4 inches is the height of most speed bumps and are designed to be driven over at 10 mph or less

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A year ago at 110,000 miles I had a loud bang, not even close to a clunk, coming from the rear of my 2010 S80 3.2 FWD sedan. This was noticed at around 70,000 miles as well. A clunk would be a huge understatement. And the front of the car had a bad front end sway bar end link. I have been frustrated with this strange rear end dynamic and just living with it. It is very off-putting to me and passengers in the car. Especially when no other vehicle I've driven, or ridden in, is like this. So, I decided to replace the rear shocks and mounts, trailing arm bushings (they were shot), front struts, strut mounts, strut bearings, front spring seats. Everything was done by the dealer. The front end was a big improvement. The rear end seemed to be a little better. Maybe a 40% improvement.
Now, it seems I have lost some of that rear improvement after 1 year and approximately 16,000 miles. This is 100% of the time present when traveling over a bump in the road at 45 mph or higher when the bump spans both driver and passenger rear tires and is approximately 4 inches tall or higher. And, not when only 1 of the rear tires travels over a similar road defect. The streets of Chicago are a perfect test track for suspension issues. Has anyone had this jarring banging from the rear of the car before? I will say this, when the P3 3.2 chassis was marketed at a comfort chassis, I just thought it was a cruel joke.
I feel like you didn't replace enough rear suspension components to declare victory. You mention the shocks and mounts and the trailing arms. What about subframe bushings? What about camber arms? They all have rubber wear elements that take more load when other parts have failed.
Good point, dbphillips. The subframe bushings could contribute to this behavior. I should have mentioned, the other rear suspension bushings looked good. And, it has this behavior on 2 and 3 inch bumps as well. Thanks for the great feedback!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Got another one for you: rear sway bar bushing brackets. I just found out one of mine was fully sheared through. I thought my clunk went away with the front sway bar bushings, but wondering if it's just been coincidence and will come back. Obviously, I'm replacing the bracket.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rear suspension bushings are a common issue on the S80. Mine were changed under warranty when the vehicle was only 5 years old with low mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, my passenger (right) hydraulic motor mount was bad and when going over bumps, the engine was hitting the subframe and I was hearing that noise in the rear of the vehicle. Strange, I know. BTW, if that hydraulic motor mount is bad for a long enough period of time, the engine/transaxle and half shaft will be out of geometry and will cause the inner CV joint on the half shaft (axle) to fail earlier than the expected 180k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.