SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please tell me if the camshaft sprockets can remain installed when removing cams from the cylinder head on a 2010 S40? There is a pulse ring for the VVT pickup (i think) on the drivers side end of both cams also. Can they too remain on the cam for removal? I have read through every post on every volvo forum and watched every youtube video I could find regarding this and in all cases the camshaft sprockets were removed. Thank you for any help you could offer.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I believe they can remain. Why would you do this though? You take a chance on the oil seals not seating back correctly. You will need a special tool in any case to remove & reinstall the "valve cover". This tool is most often included in a kit with the camshaft alignment tool. If I was in that far I'd want to verify the cam timing anyway.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes, they can stay on for removal. I have even know a few techs who leave them on for assembly, but that is very risky with regard to the front and rear cam seals as pczeilon mentioned.

For speed during teardown, I leave them on but remove them prior to reassembly. With a loose camshaft in your hand, it takes impact tools to break loose the bolts that hold the VVT pickup and VVT hubs.

If I were working on my own car and not racing the "flat rate clock", I would remove them during tear down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I tried an impact driver (hammer type) on the vvt pickup and I couldn't get one of the screws loose and messed it up. I figured I could just clamp the cams in my vice and have an easier time getting the sprockets and vvt pickups removed that way. Wish I could afford to pay someone to do this!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I tried an impact driver (hammer type) on the vvt pickup and I couldn't get one of the screws loose and messed it up. I figured I could just clamp the cams in my vice and have an easier time getting the sprockets and vvt pickups removed that way. Wish I could afford to pay someone to do this!
For your situation, by all means, pull them out as an assembly. No worries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks again. I got a tool kit for cam timing and cam cover clamps on ebay. I'm having a heck of a time getting the cam cover removed though. I think its binding on the locating pins ( i counted 5) because of the uneven pressure on the valve springs. Do you know if there is a trick to get that sucker off?

Edit - I got it.. Just takes a bit of patience and a little finesse. Thank you again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts