SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
09 XC90
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a sloppy U-turn on a back road last night, took it wider than I should've, and found out the shoulder was only PRETENDING to be road, and was actually a lot of drifted snow. Literally 5 feet was the difference between driving away and complete immobilization.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Luckily I had my tow ropes with me and a passing pickup was willing to help! Got it out with no apparent damage, drove home fine. A little humbled and a little wiser.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

A volvo-sized hole left in the ditch as a reminder!

Water Asphalt Pollution Gas Liquid

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's pretty far off the road...would be a challenge for any car I'd think. The other thing to remember is the XC90 has a pretty massive turning radius.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yeah, don't blame the car! I don't think anything with on-road plates would have done much better, unless it has tracks!

·
Registered
09 XC90
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not blaming the car! It was a little tongue-in-cheek comment. LOL.

Totally my fault, I admitted I took the corner a bit wide. I wasn't that concerned about a little snow on the shoulders, figured I'd power through as I have many times before, but not this time. Definitely not the car's fault.

However, if it could fly, or even hover just a little bit, it would've definitely made things easier.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Unrelated but since you're out there in Alberta....how well does the XC90 handle ~-40C temperatures? Do you have a block heater installed/use a different grade of engine oil?

·
Registered
09 XC90
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unrelated but since you're out there in Alberta....how well does the XC90 handle ~-40C temperatures? Do you have a block heater installed/use a different grade of engine oil?
It's been surprisingly stout. I only got the car in August, and yes it has a block heater, but I only plugged it in one day. It's my secondary car so I figured I'd test it out and see how low the temps could go before it wouldn't start, and it started every damn time. A couple of those -35C days it was definitely slow to turn over though. It sits outside on the driveway (my caddy gets the garage) so it's fully exposed to the open air.

I did put a new battery in it when I bought it, with slightly more cold cranking amps than the previous, but nothing too fancy (730 CCA). Didn't change the oil specifically in the winter because of course nobody expected it to get this cold for this long.

This pic was Boxing Day, that was a doozy.

Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia Software

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not blaming the car! It was a little tongue-in-cheek comment. LOL.

Totally my fault, I admitted I took the corner a bit wide. I wasn't that concerned about a little snow on the shoulders, figured I'd power through as I have many times before, but not this time. Definitely not the car's fault.

However, if it could fly, or even hover just a little bit, it would've definitely made things easier.
Ohh a hover car. THATS A GREAT IDEA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts