SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, have a trouble with my xc70 power tailgate opening. Using key fob and button on the left side of IP doesn't work while the ruberred latch does. It seems that lock is being released in all cases (the tailgate lifts a bit) but servo doesn't have sufficient power to open the hatch without additional help at the very beginning and locks again. Closing the hatch works like a charm. Does anyone have the same experience and a way to fix this? There was no issue reported on my dealers diagnostics. Thanks a lot for any ideas

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you lift the tailgate by hand, does it stay open? The older style power tailgate like yours uses one strut/motor, & then on the right hand side uses a traditional gas strut to assist the motor. If the gas strut has failed, the motor won't be able to lift or hold up the tailgate.

That doesn't explain the key fob and panel button not functioning though, so it may be something else entirely. Just something to look at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
On the left side of tailgate I can actually hear the motor but on the right there is no gas strut.. Assume its hidden under the rooftop panel. It seems that the motor is able to hold up the tailgate because it stays open (there's a loud click at the end of the lifting process so I guess it's some kind of safety mechanism which holds the tailgate open). Thought that there are two servos on each side of the tailgate but seems the gas strut will be the problem. Thanks a lot!
BTW does anyone have a guide how to reassembly the rooftop panel and the gas strut? :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
The gas strut is probably ok then, if the hatch stays up. The ones I've seen with bad gas struts could not hold it up at all.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hi, just resurrecting this thread on the off-chance that the problem was identified and successfully fixed. I've got the same issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts