SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just bought my first Volvo - a 2009 R Design v50. 87k miles and one owner that had it serviced every 5k miles until it was sold to me. Extremely clean inside and out. I had a PPI done and asked specifically for the mechanics to check the PCV, suspension and other standard complaints the car has.

The car drives great but I can't help but be nervous about the PCV issue. The mechanics said the system has not been replaced but they didn't detect any vacuum noise. I feel like I sometimes hear a faint whistle in the 1500-2500 RPM range but it could just be the turbo or standard engine noise.

My question is: should I fork out the $3-400 for the shop to just replace the whole system just incase? Or is the 2009 not as likely to me effected by this? I haven't seen many threads concerning PCV issues for 2009-2011. But there's also no extended warranty past 2008.

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i believe the old design hose was only on cars until 2008. so your 2009 should be good... here's what i think you could do to make sure.
either read through this ( http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?172923 ) thread, or if your lazy, you could take my word for it ( but be advised, i may be dead wrong about this) i think the old design hose that was prone to failures was corrugated and the new design hose is smooth.

here are some shortcut pictures from that thread. best to read through that^ thread or check out the stickies under 'common issues'.

new hose
Just got back from the dealership to pick up parts.
The new PCV hose is made of rubber and flexible.
and if your hose looks like this, then its the old one that you can replace as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You are good to go. You already have the improved components. Don't loose any more sleep thinking about the PCV.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
True, but not so fast... p1 PCVs can require replacement, periodically, even with the updated part. In my experience (and from what I've read), the t5 engine will blow at the oil fill inlet when they're going / gone bad. But, it's not always detectable at idle engine speed. Case in point, my PCV was causing excessive oil consumption loss (i.e. 1quart every 1000 miles) but did not have any 'typical' failure symptoms at idle speed. I didn't suspect the PCV was bad (mine was also an 'updated' part) until a WOT pull created a oil spray from my oil fill cap across the engine - obviously the pressure was reversing at high engine speeds. So I happily (ok, I wasn't really happy) replaced the PCV and things have been great since, no more oil spray and no more oil consumption. And btw, prior to the PCV replacement I too heard a faint whistle sound around 1500-2500 rpm. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Good info mercdude. My V50 has been using more oil for about a year but no other symptoms other than the long term fuel trim running a little high (2% - 3%) and reduce fuel economy. My PCV was replaced at 30K miles but now I am up to 177K miles.
Stan

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good info mercdude. My V50 has been using more oil for about a year but no other symptoms other than the long term fuel trim running a little high (2% - 3%) and reduce fuel economy. My PCV was replaced at 30K miles but now I am up to 177K miles.
Stan
Agreed. I've been tracking mild oil consumption for a while....might be worth replacement.

AutoGeek- if you do replace, please post results.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im 3000$+ into my s40 because the PCV was clogged. I would recommend it. Theres a simple video on youtube on how to check it so you know if it needs replacing...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts