SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 s80 3.2 FWD 131,580 miles total transmission failure. Dealer wanted $7500 to replace. Thankfully Volvo agreed to cover the parts and the dealership gave 15% discount on labor. But wow! Still cost a little over $2k.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have about the same mileage and my transmission is failing on an 2005 S60 R. Harsh engagement. I would jump at an opportunity to get out of this around $2k!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Has the gearbox ever been flushed? I heard someone, though loosely, claim the automatic gearboxes (though might've been talking about the older AW55s, I'm not entirely sure I just realized) usually start exhibiting problems and eventually dying past the 200k km mark. I wouldn't entirely attribute that flushes are magical gearbox lifesavers but they seem to be widely claimed to massively help with the life-span, so if it on the contrary never has been flushed...

Also, as joakim asked: why did it fail? Are they going to swap the entire tranny for a new one? Replacement unit/refurbished or something?

I have about the same mileage and my transmission is failing on an 2005 S60 R. Harsh engagement. I would jump at an opportunity to get out of this around $2k!
I think the TF80 that Trelos has wasn't introduced until MY06 so I think your car might have the predecessor, the five speed AW55. Are you sure it's failing though? Diagnosed as such by someone who knows what they're doing? If not, it's never too late to give the gearbox a flush I guess...

·
Registered
288 Posts
A slushbox needing repairs at 131,580 miles is disappointing, but not unheard of. Some Hondas and Chryslers have beeen known to eat 2 or 3 transmissions by that point.

I'd be curious to know what happened exactly, and what work was done for $2k.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mine went at 42 k miles, on ours it was a torque converter issue, it was not locking up fully. Luckily it was in warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not 100% sure what actually failed as the dealer was vague. It was acting up for the past 1500 miles or so. Little things like at slow speed every once and a while it felt you stabbed the brakes very quickly. Stalling in park and jumping (step on gas while in drive and it would rev then bang into gear)

We did trans flush at 120k so maybe that actually caused it.

If I couldn't get Volvo to help I would have went to Indy shop and dug a little deeper.

·
3,391 Posts
The 05 R uses the AW55-50SN. The 07 S80 uses the TF80-SC. Unrelated transmissions. The TF80-SC transmissions are pretty good transmissions. Though failure is not unheard of, it's very rare, especially after the valve body revision during the 2007 model year. Strangely, I seem to have noticed more failures with them in the 3.2 than in the T6 and V8 models. You'd think it would be the opposite.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 05 R uses the AW55-50SN. The 07 S80 uses the TF80-SC. Unrelated transmissions. The TF80-SC transmissions are pretty good transmissions. Though failure is not unheard of, it's very rare, especially after the valve body revision during the 2007 model year. Strangely, I seem to have noticed more failures with them in the 3.2 than in the T6 and V8 models. You'd think it would be the opposite.
Maybe it's because the 3.2 has less power so it's downshifting more...My wife and I both drive it like we stole it..so

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
2009 s80 3.2 FWD 131,580 miles total transmission failure. Dealer wanted $7500 to replace. Thankfully Volvo agreed to cover the parts and the dealership gave 15% discount on labor. But wow! Still cost a little over $2k.
How did you get Volvo to cover parts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So the transmission shop believes that the problem is the Valve Body Assembly and is quoting $2,000 for a new one installed. However, the transmission fluid is very burnt (I just got it changed out when this problem started to manifest) and contaminated which they believe could lead to the transmission also being damaged. So I could have just the Valve Body fixed for $2k and then find out that wasn't enough to fix the situation and then I would have to buy a new transmission for $5.5k bringing the total to almost $8k. Doesn't sound like it is worth the risk. I am thinking about parting out the car...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the transmission shop believes that the problem is the Valve Body Assembly and is quoting $2,000 for a new one installed. However, the transmission fluid is very burnt (I just got it changed out when this problem started to manifest) and contaminated which they believe could lead to the transmission also being damaged. So I could have just the Valve Body fixed for $2k and then find out that wasn't enough to fix the situation and then I would have to buy a new transmission for $5.5k bringing the total to almost $8k. Doesn't sound like it is worth the risk. I am thinking about parting out the car...

Best price I found on a used transmission was $1500 shipped (that was with a 12,000 1 year warranty) and best Quote on swapping them out was $1900 labor. you might want to go that route.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts