SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello -

I'm looking for some wisdom from more other Volvo owners. I recently got the sad news that the angle gear on my 2008 XC90 v8 Sport needs to be replaced. In the near future the dealership told me I would also need to replace the front lower control arm bushings, replace the upper strut mounts and bushings and replace front brake pads and front brake rotors.

Front brake pads are at 3mm, Rear brake pads are at 7mm, Tires are at 6/32" or 7/32". Front control arm bushings are torn, Upper strut mount bushings are tearing, thus the recommendation to replace.

It currently has 99,800 miles. I'm the single owner and I did every recommended maintenance at a Volvo dealership since purchasing the car and picking it up at the factory in Gothenburg. The most recent services were Feb '19 Oil, filters and new battery. In Dec'17 with 90,800 miles when I replaced the left and right front swaybar links, the left and right lower control-arm bushings, spark plugs. Replaced cooling fan in Aug'17. Replaced airbag clockspring and fuel caps in Jul'17. Tires were last replaced in Jan'15 with 63.000 miles and replaced upper engine mount.

The cost of doing all of replacing the angle gear is work at the Volvo dealer is about $8,500 :( The parts & labor of just the angle gear is $4,200.
The car was inspected and assessed for trade-in at $4,500 and $4,873 by two different dealerships.

My wife and I love the car and would hate to see it go. We hoped to drive it another for another 100k miles, but given the expected $8.500 repair/maintenance costs and the uncertainty on whether something else expansive might break further down the line we feel it is just not worth repairing.

Please let us know if you have a different opinion and why. thanks!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would immediately get a second opinion. Sounds like they want to replace the suspension too, though I think you could wait on that to take care of the angle gear issue. There are plenty of Xc90 on the road that need that replaced but haven’t.

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Not sure I'm following the LCA need, did you replace these at 90k and now you're being told that they need replaced again at 98k? Otherwise ~100k is a prime time to do LCA and seats and the bearing plate and maybe ball joints since you have it all apart.

For other future work, you'll be needing a serp belt replacement with all the parts in around 20k miles (don't wait for 150k and a timing cover stud failure) plus a valve cover reseal will likely be in your future. Few other normal wear and tear items as well, but these you should expect.

I know this variant quite well and when it's tight, it's tight. If you're happy with this vehicle, get the angle gear replaced. The $4200 estimate is about right for this job (parts are $2k plus). For the other $$$ work , I might question a little more closely depending on what they're suggesting as a breakdown.

....though I think you could wait on that to take care of the angle gear issue. There are plenty of XC90 on the road that need that replaced but haven’t.
Hard to imagine many V8 owners willingly driving their cars like this. Maybe for the 5 and 6 cylinder cars, but not a V8. It's not a lot of fun, especially when it's wet out.

** V8 owners- it's the same angle gear in all V8s, Sport/RD or not.**

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Irrespective of the Blue Book value, $5,000 in repair work (which sounds like an optimistic quote. I see the TOTAL work needed in the $3,500 window parts & labor) on a vehicle that will last you at least another 75,000 miles with even marginal maintenance seems like a far better economic spend than a $500/mo. outlay on new car payment for the the next 3/4 years.

Versus buying new or even used, you're net break even in 10 months by doing the repair work ($500 mo x 10 months = $5,000)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Not sure I'm following the LCA need, did you replace these at 90k and now you're being told that they need replaced again at 98k? Otherwise ~100k is a prime time to do LCA and seats and the bearing plate and maybe ball joints since you have it all apart.

For other future work, you'll be needing a serp belt replacement with all the parts in around 20k miles (don't wait for 150k and a timing cover stud failure) plus a valve cover reseal will likely be in your future. Few other normal wear and tear items as well, but these you should expect.

I know this variant quite well and when it's tight, it's tight. If you're happy with this vehicle, get the angle gear replaced. The $4200 estimate is about right for this job (parts are $2k plus). For the other $$$ work , I might question a little more closely depending on what they're suggesting as a breakdown.

Hard to imagine many V8 owners willingly driving their cars like this. Maybe for the 5 and 6 cylinder cars, but not a V8. It's not a lot of fun, especially when it's wet out.

I defer to your knowledge on this because you actually perform minor and major maintenance on your XC, but the $4200 quote he received sound terribly high.
I remember looking into the angle gear unit price when I was attempting to diagnose my shudder issue (which ended up being the engine mounts), and the part was ~$1900. Fluid wouldn't be much more an $50. The mechanic is baking in over $2,000(!) in labor. That's a number more akin to an engine drop and swap in my book.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Trade-in value is not the same as market value. I paid $10k for my V8 when it had 99k miles on it (closing in on 230k now). You might want to see what V8s are going for on autotrader or cars dot com in your area, because I would guess a V8 with a well-documented maintenance history is worth at least twice what they're offering you. Plus your repair costs are apparently dealership pricing....you really should find a respected independent mechanic or two and see what their estimates would be, because they might be quite a bit lower. If an outlay of $5k (at a guess) puts you into a car worth over $10k (at a guess) that should easily give you another 100k miles, that sounds like a good move to me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I would say definitely get a second opinion. There is no way you need control arm bushings less than 10k miles after replacing them. Who did all that work you listed in Dec. 2017 when you had 90k miles? Customer paid repairs made at a Volvo dealer are warrantied for life in USA.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Do the angle gear, especially since it is a V8. What I am talking about is the suspension. If I couldn’t afford the cost would wait on that.

I think there are a lot of xc90 owners who are sagging .

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone,
Thank you for the insightful replies, please keep them coming!

I just drove to my local dealer to check inquire about the repairs. The angle gear would cost $2,500 in parts and $150/hr in service. When I took the car earlier this week the quote was for 11 hours of service, today a different technician said 4 hrs. It would cost between $600 and $1,650 to have it done at the dealer plus the $2,500 in parts.

The LCA was indeed replaced on Dec'17 when the car had 90,800 miles, so it has been 17-18 months since then and I drove 9,000 miles on very good roads (almost all of it was on HWY 26 in OR between downtown Portland and Hillsboro, little to no potholes). Is there such a thing as Warrantied for Life for the LCA replacement??

I will have to wait until Tuesday for the service manager that is handling my case to review the LCA issue. I was not given the impression today that the dealer would cover any portion of the LCA cost or that there is any sort of warranty for it. It would run my $995 to do the LCA replacement again.

The Upper strut mounts and bushings were not done previously so that's another $1,070 and finally another $760 for the front brake pads and rotors.

I'm taking it on Thursday to another local dealer for a second opinion. An independent mechanic in my area quoted me $3,000 to replace the angle gear, so that would save me from $200 to $1,200 vs doing it at the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Angle gear replacement cost breakdown is in my post on this subject with an explanation of the work involved. Whoever is suggesting 4 hours is probably going to suggest something different once they figure out it's a V8. Think VSTG has 9 hrs for this job, don't believe it includes an alignment after the fact.

If the LCA work was done by a Volvo dealer using Volvo parts, they should fix it on their dime. Show them this- https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9411, and have a reasonable conversation to see how that happens. If they balk, ask for the next escalation point and get it documented, then start working your way up.

**Older link with some pricing to compare- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?512441-2010-V8-XC90-Complete-AWD-Failure-!-!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
LCA bushings should be covered by the Volvo lifetime warranty. The upper strut mounts are a half assed job. if you are pulling the struts out replace them now. This is where an indy shop comes in. you can buy new struts, mounts, etc. from FCP euro for less than $400 and an indy will install them for about 300. Or, if the dealer stands behind the warranty (which if they don't, send a letter to Volvo's national office, and give your dealer zeros on the survey), buy the struts and mounts and all other parts from Tasca Volvo in Rhode Island and have your Volvo dealer install them. You will get the lifetime warranty from Volvo since you bought the parts from Volvo and a Volvo dealer installed them. Also, if they are taking the front end apart to get to the LCAs, and you buy the rotors and pads from Tasca, the labor should be about an hour max to replace the pads an rotor. I don't think you get the lifetime on rotors from Volvo of America.

Also, negotiate on the time. If they do the LCA bushings they don't have to take off the wheels and install the wheels three times for the LCA, struts, and brakes. Put you negotiating skills to work.

Don't let the dealer tell you that the warranty wont transfer. I have a letter from Volvo of America saying the lifetime warranty applies to parts purchased at one Volvo dealer and installed at another. I posted it here a few years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have contacted Volvo customer support per the letter provided by ggleavitt. I talked to the dealer and their position was that the LCA was not covered as it suffers from wear and tear with use.

I also checked with FCPeuro, tasca for pricing on parts and also called dealers in other states to check on service price. The original quote I received was a lot more expensive than what I was able to find in other locations.

I'm taking the car 8am on Thursday to another dealer for an estimate. I will let you guys know how it goes.

thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have contacted Volvo customer support per the letter provided by ggleavitt. I talked to the dealer and their position was that the LCA was not covered as it suffers from wear and tear with use.
A "lifetime warranty" that's voided by actually using the part? That's kind of impressive in a sick way.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
.....If they balk, ask for the next escalation point and get it documented, then start working your way up. You asked for the next place to go as far as escalating, right? By now you should have the regional server reps name and be in the process of contacting them.

I don't have all your details but if the parts were OE and the were installed by an authorized Volvo dealership, they should NOT be a wear and tear item in 10k miles. Dealer is giving you a BS answer, they should be ashamed of themselves. At a minimum, there should be a warranty on the part itself, 2 years as noted in the Volvo info. Speaking of which, this is not the only published reference for the Volvo warranty, at least a few more out there. This is a corporate policy, if the dealer want to weasel-word it great but while they have the right to say no, you have the right to escalate up through the corporate chain. In my opinion, it's the least you should be doing, if for no other reason than to formally document this particular dealer's response.

Making a Warranty Claim
In order for you to show that your vehicle is eligible for the Lifetime Parts and Labor Warranty, you must present the original repair order or service ticket to an authorized Volvo dealer. The Volvo Genuine part cannot be an item that was purchased over-the-counter; however, those parts still maintain a one year warranty from the date of purchase. It's recommended that you make a copy of the original repair order, which is best saved electronically by uploading to a computer for safe keeping. NOTE: Any Volvo Genuine part that is purchased over-the-counter, but later installed at an authorized Volvo dealership, is eligible for the Lifetime Parts and Labor Warranty. Additionally, if parts are installed due to a collision repair, they will be included for coverage through the warranty.

Non-Covered Parts
Of course, with every warranty, there are exclusions. Although Volvo have a wide array of covered parts and service that are eligible for the Lifetime Parts and Labor Warranty, certain wear and tear items are excluded from warranty coverage.
The non-covered items include, but are not limited to fan belts, spark plugs, fuses, brake pads, timing belts, light bulbs, upholstery, wiper blades, tires, and battery.

Wear and tear item that's worn out at 10k out of a "nominal" 100k lifecycle? I don't see anything explicit for LCA listed and I cannot find any reference in any of the the Volvo warranty documentation specific to LCA as an excluded item.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just heard back from second Volvo dealer I took the car for an inspection. Here is what their techs found:

1) No issue with Angle/Bevel gear. The Power steering is binding and the fluid is low.
2) Small leak on gasket valve

Cost to address these two is $2,500 for parts and labor. (Does this sound about right? $2,500...)

3) Brake pads need to be replaced $370 parts and labor.
4) Fuel filter is the original, recommend to replace it for $150 parts and labor.

No issues with the LCA, no issues with the suspension (struts). Nothing to be done for these. The brake rotors should also last for another 30k miles, only the pads need to be replaced.
All together I'm looking at $3K to get it back on the road with no issues.

I'm amazed how two dealers within 10mi of each other can come to completely different conclusions on the same car. Happy that it's not the angle gear, struts and all else. Just wondering who got it right..

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Take the opportunity to drain and refill your bevel gear fluid, AOC fluid and filter, transmission, and differential fluid.
If I recall correctly, the differential and bevel gear use the same fluid so you might as well do them together anyway.
Total cost for all fluids, labor, disposal fees should be around $600.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take the opportunity to drain and refill your bevel gear fluid, AOC fluid and filter, transmission, and differential fluid.
If I recall correctly, the differential and bevel gear use the same fluid so you might as well do them together anyway.
Total cost for all fluids, labor, disposal fees should be around $600.
Thanks for the tip! Does $2,500 sounds about right for the power steering hose and valve gasket replacement?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm amazed how two dealers within 10mi of each other can come to completely different conclusions on the same car. Happy that it's not the angle gear, struts and all else. Just wondering who got it right..
I am so glad you got a second opinion!

Front control arm bushings and upper strut mounts are gravy jobs to a Volvo technician. The control arm bushings pay about 4 hours labor to a technician but a competent Volvo tech can usually do the job in 1 - 1.5 hours. The front upper strut mounts pay about 2.5 hours and the tech should be able to complete that job in about an hour. So had you had the work done, that tech would have spent from 2 - 3 hours to complete those 2 jobs and been paid over 6 hours.

Sadly, I have worked with dishonest techs who seemed to have a standard "list" of repairs that they would recommend on certain cars - the gravy for that particular model.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts