SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back from servicing the rear brake pads... Awesome that you need a computer to change brake pads, but thats a different subject..

The mechanic noted that the front right engine mount is damaged and needs to be replaced. I am going to take care of that this weekend as well as the upper torque mount, but am wondering about the other mounts as well.. The car has almost 90K Miles on it.

I haven't found much, if any, info on changing the other engine mounts.. Do they typically wear at the same rate? Are they something I should replace as well while I am at it? Does anyone have any info or links on the subject? I have tried searching everywhere, but haven't had much luck.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I had my engine "pads" replaced by the dealer due to driveline issues and vibration. They replaced 2 of the 4 and the engine mounting torque rod. With that in mind, I don't think they all fail at once. Also, if you look at the prices for them, you may not want to do all 3 plus the torque rod at the same time :eek:

Here's a great diagram of the parts:
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1188852&ukey_make=865&ukey_model=12013&modelYear=2008&ukey_category=7859&ukey_driveLine=505&ukey_trimLevel=24668

You can actually do the rear brakes without a computer, btw, but the electric parking brake on these definitely throws a kink into doing a routine pad swap.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I just got my car back from servicing the rear brake pads... Awesome that you need a computer to change brake pads, but thats a different subject..
You don't actually. If you buy Volvo OEM pads they come with instructions to remove the EPB if you don't have VIDA/DICE to put them in service mode. It takes longer but it's not "hard".

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, I wish I knew that about the pads beforehand.. Though, I do like having the mechanics look everything over once in a while.

I think I will not worry about the other engine mounts for now and just do the right side and upper torque mount. I also have to do the brake vacuum pump seals as well.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Man, I wish I knew that about the pads beforehand.. Though, I do like having the mechanics look everything over once in a while.

I think I will not worry about the other engine mounts for now and just do the right side and upper torque mount. I also have to do the brake vacuum pump seals as well.
If you plan on wrenching your own Volvos for at least a few years, you should just get your own VIDA/DICE setup anyway. Dirt cheap on AliExpress.com, and even a dedicated new laptop good enough to run VIDA will only be a few hundred bucks at BestBuy or whatever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts