SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a 2008 Volvo XC70 3.3 I6, with an assumed 400k miles (ABS sensors have stopped the car from logging miles I'll get on it) my power steering has been leaking for awhile on the drivers side and it sprays onto the exhaust when I turn the wheel hard. Then starts smoking and all that ****, I'm not sure if it's just O-Rings or if the steering pressure hose is leaking. One of the connections were loose(pictured) but I hose clamped it back on and it doesn't leak as much fluid but I still can't turn the wheel all the way. Does anyone know what I can do for it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello everyone! I have a 2008 Volvo XC70 3.3 I6, with an assumed 400k miles (ABS sensors have stopped the car from logging miles I'll get on it) my power steering has been leaking for awhile on the drivers side and it sprays onto the exhaust when I turn the wheel hard. Then starts smoking and all that ****, I'm not sure if it's just O-Rings or if the steering pressure hose is leaking. One of the connections were loose(pictured) but I hose clamped it back on and it doesn't leak as much fluid but I still can't turn the wheel all the way. Does anyone know what I can do for it? View attachment 125819
That hose doesn't look to be on all the way, for one thing. Loosen clamp, push the hose to the raised ridge. It may be that your clamp is behind a ridge on the fitting, giving you less than optimal leak protection. That's just a quick first suggestion. You're probably going to have to carefully clean the entire area, and add a dye to the fluid to find where the problem starts. (the dye will help separate the newest area of leakage from stuff you missed cleaning up.) Do you have someone else to do the wheel turning while you watch? Yes, I'm belaboring the obvious here, sorry.

·
Registered
124 Posts
400k miles is pretty impressive!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
400k miles is pretty impressive!
The ABS sensors are toast on one side so the dash only displays 225k, it's been daily driven hard for about 3-4 years after it stopped logging. The 400k is assumed, I wonder if the car keeps logging it, and if I fix said ABS issues if it'll show

·
Registered
124 Posts
The ABS sensors are toast on one side so the dash only displays 225k, it's been daily driven hard for about 3-4 years after it stopped logging. The 400k is assumed, I wonder if the car keeps logging it, and if I fix said ABS issues if it'll show
Keep us updated. I love high-mileage content!

·
Registered
728 Posts
That hose doesn't look to be on all the way, for one thing. Loosen clamp, push the hose to the raised ridge. It may be that your clamp is behind a ridge on the fitting, giving you less than optimal leak protection. That's just a quick first suggestion. You're probably going to have to carefully clean the entire area, and add a dye to the fluid to find where the problem starts. (the dye will help separate the newest area of leakage from stuff you missed cleaning up.) Do you have someone else to do the wheel turning while you watch? Yes, I'm belaboring the obvious here, sorry.
Once the area is clean and dry with for example, a hair dryer, coat it with athlete's foot powder spray and operate the steering. The source of new leakage will be readily observable.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
My observation is that fluid escaping under pressure from the actual hose connection has cleaned the barb fitting in the path of the leak. Shiny clean metal. DMikey has it right; that hose is on it's way off. Nice looking hose, though. Nothing suspect about it's appearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts