SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2008 Volvo S80. Car was garaged kept entire life, looks immaculate, currently 92,000 on odometer. Transmission has never been serviced but has been working flawlessly so far, previous owner was directed by dealer to never do so. Previous owner went to whatever lengths the dealer advised to maintain car. Should I have the trans fluid changed (drained, not flushed), or leave it alone and assume I am on borrowed time?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You will find a ton of different opinions on this. Generally speaking, you will not harm the transmission by doing a drain and fill. Many manufacturers advise against any type of transmission flushing with a machine. The idea is that using a power flush machine on a transmission with higher mileage could possibly dislodge a contaminant and force it into the very narrow passages of the valve body and cause a blockage, thus cutting off flow and ruining the transmission. Doing a flush via the transmission cooler under the transmission fluid pumps own power will not harm the transmission. In my opinion, you are not on borrowed time. I would not lose sleep over the fact that your car has it's original fluid. The transmission in our cars is used in other models from other brands as well. One notable case being the previous generation Ford Fusion Sport. Ford recommends a fluid change every 150,000 miles on those car if I am remembering correctly. As with all fluids, transmission fluid will inevitable wear out and need to be changed at some point. Our cars are designed to compensate for fluid wear over time. The fluid will last a very long time with this optimization. If you are planning on keeping the car for a long time, I would change the fluid though. If you do this, make sure that the shop or yourself is using the correct fluid for these cars and nothing else whatsoever. Your car uses JWS 3309 fluid which can be found locally at any Volvo or Toyota dealer (Toyota T-IV). You could also order online from several sources too. On my car, I personally did 3 drain and fills to replace most of the old fluid. My plan is to change the fluid every 30,000 miles thereafter. This was done at like 112,000 miles. I'm currently at 140,000. I would see no problems with extending that number though, I'm just super picky about my fluids. Hopefully this provides some helpful information, just remember that you will find a lot of different view points on this subject through the web. Mine is just one of many opinions on this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts