SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to sell my 2008 s60 and need to do the timing belt change.
It is the 2.5t model. I have seen plenty of write ups on the older s60's and the non-turbo 2.4 cars but nothing for a 2008. Can anyone share a link or tell me if it is the same as the other s60 engines?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
From what I gather it should be the same other than stuff that controls your VVT. Although I don't think that should matter if you're removing the cam gears.

I don't think Volvo changed their design much as far as the timing belt went.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. I have a 07 that's needs the timing belt changed. I would love to do it myself but I'm only 16 and my mom doesn't trust me doing anything with the engine. :(

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I gather it should be the same other than stuff that controls your VVT. Although I don't think that should matter if you're removing the cam gears.

I don't think Volvo changed their design much as far as the timing belt went.

What is WT? Also, I didn't know I the cam gears needed removed for this? Not as east as my T5R was I suppose.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
What is WT? Also, I didn't know I the cam gears needed removed for this? Not as east as my T5R was I suppose.
The process is still the same for any S60 2001-2009...the motors are more or less the same and the only thing that changed over the years was later models received dual VVT cams (which your '08). What this means is that you need to use a certain procedure to unload the VVT hubs from their internal tension.

Other than that, the process is fairly straight forward. Let me know if you need the VADIS instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The process is still the same for any S60 2001-2009...the motors are more or less the same and the only thing that changed over the years was later models received dual VVT cams (which your '08). What this means is that you need to use a certain procedure to unload the VVT hubs from their internal tension.

Other than that, the process is fairly straight forward. Let me know if you need the VADIS instructions on how to do it.
This.

I don't know why I felt it necessary to mention the cam gears lol. I didn't know if there were any issues related to them being moved when doing a timing belt change.

Do they make the cam gear lockers for the S60 engines like they do the earlier I5 engines?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
This.

I don't know why I felt it necessary to mention the cam gears lol. I didn't know if there were any issues related to them being moved when doing a timing belt change.

Do they make the cam gear lockers for the S60 engines like they do the earlier I5 engines?
iPd used to carry them, however, it really isn't necessary to use one.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
V V T is the variable valve timing component used on some volvo models. Some models have single VVT and some Dual VVT, depending on which setup NA or turbo they can be on eother intake, exhaust or both cams.

The only difference in setting a VVT timing belt compared to non VVT is that you need to preload the VVT hubs by overrotating the crankshaft by 1/4 turn and then turn it backwards to the indicated timing marks. SIngle or dual VVT makes no difference.

Here is a pdf for timing belt change on VVT S60.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/2paulm/2010-02-16_224600_timing_belt.pdf

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
V V T is the variable valve timing component used on some volvo models. Some models have single VVT and some Dual VVT, depending on which setup NA or turbo they can be on eother intake, exhaust or both cams.

The only difference in setting a VVT timing belt compared to non VVT is that you need to preload the VVT hubs by overrotating the crankshaft by 1/4 turn and then turn it backwards to the indicated timing marks. SIngle or dual VVT makes no difference.

Here is a pdf for timing belt change on VVT S60.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/2paulm/2010-02-16_224600_timing_belt.pdf

Great, Thanks for all you responses

1 - 11 of 11 Posts