SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Although I loved my 2004.5 S40, i sold it a months ago. Now i'm looking for another S40. It is a 2008 S40 (2.4 liters-100k-fwd-clean title-runs good,body looks clean a few dings touch ups there) with leather, moonroof, 6 cd player and so on. How much do you think it is worth? I know the kbb value, but i do not want rely on a single source

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
With 100K (miles?) I would try to pay around $15k but not be willing to pay more than $18. It really depends how badly you want the car and how well everything checks out for you.

Personally though, I would also hold out for a T5. It's faster and you'll get slightly better mileage with the T5 engine.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Well, for perspective, we bought the wife's 2008 2.4i one year ago. It had 32K, flawless in and out, loaded -leather, moonroof, premium audio, etc and we paid $16,000.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
+1 on the 12,600-14K , now If it had 40,000 - 50,000 - it's be a little different , even thou - It should roll 180,000 easily with care or more .
100K - I'd have to see a lot of Documented History !

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
There were a butt load of S40s unloaded, that didn't have much of anything (though a few had some creature comforts like a sun roof/premium sound, etc.), as company car vehicles. A few years ago, about 10 of these popped up in my area. They looked clean and were almost new, yet they had between 80-100k miles. They did have clean service records, but I didn't want to buy a car with that many miles to start with.

I was wrong, I agree with the above. You shouldn't pay more than $15k at most, I wasn't thinking about it NOT being a T5 when I said that price. Yet I still made that comment... it's been a long day.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
haggle price down if timing belt has not been done yet.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
There were a butt load of S40s unloaded, that didn't have much of anything (though a few had some creature comforts like a sun roof/premium sound, etc.), as company car vehicles. A few years ago, about 10 of these popped up in my area. They looked clean and were almost new, yet they had between 80-100k miles. They did have clean service records, but I didn't want to buy a car with that many miles to start with.

I was wrong, I agree with the above. You shouldn't pay more than $15k at most, I wasn't thinking about it NOT being a T5 when I said that price. Yet I still made that comment... it's been a long day.

Yep, Rental Units !

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Do you think it is worth to buy it for $9000 + tax. The timing belt has not done yet
depends, link the car so we can have more info. No worries we won't try to buy it we already have s40s!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, there is no link as it is being sold by a small dealer. It is gray, automatic, leather, 6 cd changer. It is clean with a few paint chips and dings

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Well nada shows it at 14200 but if I am not mistaken the timing belt comes at 105k so yeah. If its for 9k and there is nothing really wrong with it good price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i got lucky this 07 s40 had 105k and i got all the service records, i mean a stack of records. these people took care of this whip. its fully loaded with leather, climate package etc i paid 9278$

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks CLEAN! Here is my problem: the car had 0 maintenance records. I mean, it starts, runs and drives very good, but i don't know the history... There will be always a question mark??? I also do not want to go over $9000 for my next purchase..ugh

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Don't get the car. You've just stated that you're not 100% comfortable with it; something will go wrong. I would never buy a car with no service records, unless I was just getting it for parts.

Finding the right car is like finding the right woman. You just know in your stomach that she's the one.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
^ what he said. Took me 3 months to find the right car. Lots of research lots of going around forums asking looking again (searching) Take your time. Best thing to do is go to a dealership tell them what you want and test drive some. Thats what sales people do thats their job you tell them what you want they cant point you in the right direction even tho they can be scums.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
for 9 grand consider a newer Saab 9-3 aero, they are cheap o_O. I think the 2.8T's are going for as little as that. But yea don't rush into buying something

1 - 20 of 27 Posts