SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a whirring noise coming from my AC unit due to a low freon level. I added some freon from a can through the low port unit I was in the correct psi range according to the label on the can and ambient temp. However now my cooling fan kicks in a lot sooner than before the recharge and runs at a much higher speed (75%-100% speed after 2 mins of running the car idle on cold startup in the morning with 60 deg temps overnight).

I feel I might have overfilled the AC system by accident. Anyone been here before? I might need to let some freon out of the AC system but I;m not sure if this will solve my issue with the cooling fan.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe that the cooling fan doesn't come on when you have low freon. As far as I know your car is operating how it should now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what happened to my previous reply, but this was for sure related to overfilling the system. When filling the system gulped down an entire can, which was too much. I checked it and the low side read 45psi. Guess I should have left it run to stabilize a few minuted before adding refrigerant. Having some refrigerant removed the low side pressures are in the 35psi range again and the cooling fan is back to normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts