SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to add a trailer hitch to my 2008 V50 and then tow my 1800E to a National VCOA meet. The Owner's Manual states "Models equipped with the B5244S7 engine (engine code 39, which is the 6th and 7th digits from the left in your vehicle's VIN number, ....), may not be used to tow trailers or vehicles of any kind. This could cause damage to the vehicle's emission control systems."

My V50 is an engine code 39 and was originally sold in California, however, the car is titled and licensed in Arizona. If I tow a vehicle will this cause me to fail my next emissions test? I just don't understand.

jay norton
Tempe, Arizona

·
Registered
70 Posts
Emission code 39 is Ultra Low Emission Vehicle II or ULEV II. California compliant.
When a hitch is installed from Volvo, you would get the hitch, module, wiring harnesses and a download. This download changes the
fuel mapping to allow for more torque when the trailer wiring harness is hooked into the vehicle. This change only occurs when your trailer is hooked up to the vehicle not because you have the module in the car. It is highly illegal to modify any emission control system on any vehicle which has a negative emission impact. California has the strictest standards so modifying anything on those cars will have a negative impact. This is why Volvo
does not want this to happen.
I believe you could still install an aftermarket or even a Volvo hitch but be aware it may not function correctly.
For emissions testing, California still smogs or uses the tailpipe sampling tests as well as OBD II tests for vehicle back to 1981, so this may not allow you to pass.
If Arizona uses a tail pipe test you may fail. An OBD II only test won't fail because the software is still designed to pass Federal emissions standards

In my own opinion, I would not trailer anything more than a bike rack with a V 50. Towing is very hard on engine and transmissions. You can do
significant damage and premature wear. I would look closely at the weight it can tow. Take into account your trailer, passengers, parts, luggage and
I think you'll be surprised how close you are to the max. I hope some of this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.