SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a weird issue of when the car shakes (not violently but noticeable) that only seems to happen at 2nd gear when accelerating from a stop. It’s not the axles as both were just replaced with new ones and the issue existed before anyways. Any ideas?

I pray it’s not the transmission :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Were the new axles aftermarket or genuine Volvo? On occasion, aftermarket axles will exhibit this symptom and this is probably your issue. If they were replaced by a shop I would warranty them. Chances are just one is causing this issue. Btw, there is nothing wrong with aftermarket axles, the genuine ones are crazy expensive and they're not even new. It just sounds like you may have gotten a dud.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Were the new axles aftermarket or genuine Volvo? On occasion, aftermarket axles will exhibit this symptom and this is probably your issue. If they were replaced by a shop I would warranty them. Chances are just one is causing this issue. Btw, there is nothing wrong with aftermarket axles, the genuine ones are crazy expensive and they're not even new. It just sounds like you may have gotten a dud.
The OEM axles you buy from Volvo or FCP with the OEM GKN/Lobro CV joints are certainly new. Aftermarket axles have cheap CV joints and boots and many times are remanufactured.

·
Registered
5 Posts
shake

I just went throught the same concern with my V70. Lok real close at the lower control arms, The bushings get worn out and cause what you thing is a trans. shuder. My wifes v50 does the same thing If money is tight Detroit axle has the parts for a good price.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The OEM axles you buy from Volvo or FCP with the OEM GKN/Lobro CV joints are certainly new. Aftermarket axles have cheap CV joints and boots and many times are remanufactured.
The axles branded as GKN/Lobro are new, however, I was always under the impression that the genuine Volvo units that one would buy from a dealer are rebuilt. If you look at FCP Euro and Volvo part numbers 36011293 and 36012409 (the units for a 3.2 S80), the website states that these genuine Volvo axles are rebuilt and you will be charged a $100 core. When I changed my axles, the dealer also wanted a core. I have also never seen brand new GKN axles for our S80s, only for the prior generation Volvos. Personally, I bought new aftermarket axles since I felt that it wasn't financially reasonable to spend over $1200 on axles alone for a 10 year old car with well over 100k miles, as much as I love my car. If the boots are the only problem, one could definitely reboot the axle if it hasn't been that way for too long and they can do it properly. A used axle would also work if a genuine part is absolutely needed, but I went this route and had problems which is why I threw in the towel and just bought the aftermarket units in the end. With regards to the original post, I realize I misread it and now realize the issues existed prior to the axles being replaced. In that case, take a look a look at your engine mounts, especially the torque rod on the passenger side near the coolant bottle. Also look at the hydraulic mount underneath it and see if its visibly leaking fluid or is collapsed.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That`s actually very interesting, you are right even from the dealer they want a core charge, meaning the ones you buy from the dealer are rebuilt. I am sure they use GKN/Lobro CV joints which are impossible to source here in the USA. But still the axle is not new. I hear you on the price of axles direct from Volvo. I wish GKN/Lobro joints were available, they aren`t particularly expensive but they last almost forever. It`s really not very hard to take joints off an axle and put new ones on. Somehow parts suppliers have convinced us it is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're aftermarket from autohausAZ webstore:

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2D-36011293
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2D-36012409

The issue existed before the axles were replaced so it's not the axles as far as I know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The axles branded as GKN/Lobro are new, however, I was always under the impression that the genuine Volvo units that one would buy from a dealer are rebuilt. If you look at FCP Euro and Volvo part numbers 36011293 and 36012409 (the units for a 3.2 S80), the website states that these genuine Volvo axles are rebuilt and you will be charged a $100 core. When I changed my axles, the dealer also wanted a core. I have also never seen brand new GKN axles for our S80s, only for the prior generation Volvos. Personally, I bought new aftermarket axles since I felt that it wasn't financially reasonable to spend over $1200 on axles alone for a 10 year old car with well over 100k miles, as much as I love my car. If the boots are the only problem, one could definitely reboot the axle if it hasn't been that way for too long and they can do it properly. A used axle would also work if a genuine part is absolutely needed, but I went this route and had problems which is why I threw in the towel and just bought the aftermarket units in the end. With regards to the original post, I realize I misread it and now realize the issues existed prior to the axles being replaced. In that case, take a look a look at your engine mounts, especially the torque rod on the passenger side near the coolant bottle. Also look at the hydraulic mount underneath it and see if its visibly leaking fluid or is collapsed.
That's a crazy amount of money for just axles! I can't justify that for the year and millage on the car. I've been using the new axles for two days so far and it's working perfectly. In regards to the engine mounts, I've replaced all of them a couple of months ago with new ones but it's possible that the play that the old axles did some damage on the mounts. I've replaced the torque rod mount twice and each time the rubber tore (i think..).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That`s actually very interesting, you are right even from the dealer they want a core charge, meaning the ones you buy from the dealer are rebuilt. I am sure they use GKN/Lobro CV joints which are impossible to source here in the USA. But still the axle is not new. I hear you on the price of axles direct from Volvo. I wish GKN/Lobro joints were available, they aren`t particularly expensive but they last almost forever. It`s really not very hard to take joints off an axle and put new ones on. Somehow parts suppliers have convinced us it is.
I respectfully disagree lol. I fought and fought to get those axles out but was ultimately unsuccessful. I ended up taking it to a shop and they were forced to heat it up with a blow torch and then got them off.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I respectfully disagree lol. I fought and fought to get those axles out but was ultimately unsuccessful. I ended up taking it to a shop and they were forced to heat it up with a blow torch and then got them off.
I`m talking about putting new CV joints on the axles. Not removing axles from the car.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If it’s only happening in second gear, the transmission seems suspect. Some V8 S80/XC90 have torque converter shudder which seems similar to what you are describing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it’s only happening in second gear, the transmission seems suspect. Some V8 S80/XC90 have torque converter shudder which seems similar to what you are describing.

It seems to happen around 10-20 mph at around 1000rpm. What’s the course of action that’s recommended?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would start with a couple drain and fills of the trans and see how it is after that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would start with a couple drain and fills of the trans and see how it is after that.

I called AAMCO to see if they can do the flush and the guy said that’s not a good idea until he ran diagnostics first. Should I go ahead with the diagnostics or should I just tell him to do the flush?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I called AAMCO to see if they can do the flush and the guy said that’s not a good idea until he ran diagnostics first. Should I go ahead with the diagnostics or should I just tell him to do the flush?

I would start with at least 3 drain and fills and go from there, not a flush

1 - 16 of 16 Posts