SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retrofitted 2008 S60 "jewel" tail lights on my 2004 R today...sorry for the crappy pictures, it was dark by the time I was done...
Made a world of a difference...what do you think?

Before

after:

Modified by lowenhart at 7:45 AM 6-8-2008

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: 2008 S60 Jewel Tail lights retrofit on a 2004 R (lowenhart)

Looks good. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the original design, though. Less flashy, but they look a little cleaner.

Interested in selling one perhaps? There is a slight manufacturing flaw in my driver's side tail lamp that drives me nuts! Let me know.

Thanks, Tryg

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Are you sure those are S80 taillights? I am pretty sure that S80 taillights are a different shape. Plus the S80 taillights that are jeweled have LED's and if those have LED's, I can't see them.

Those look like 2005+ S60 taillights. I wish I had the jeweled ones. My in-laws have an '07 XC70 and I always want to swap lights with them. Maybe I should without telling them.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Re: 2008 S60 Jewel Tail lights retrofit on a 2004 R (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
Are you sure those are S80 taillights? I am pretty sure that S80 taillights are a different shape. Plus the S80 taillights that are jeweled have LED's and if those have LED's, I can't see them.

Those look like 2005+ S60 taillights. I wish I had the jeweled ones. My in-laws have an '07 XC70 and I always want to swap lights with them. Maybe I should without telling them.

dude he said they are 2008 S60 jewel tails!

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: 2008 S60 Jewel Tail lights retrofit on a 2004 R (juve021)

Quote, originally posted by juve021 »

dude he said they are 2008 S60 jewel tails!

DOH!

Not enough coffee yet. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,471 Posts

DOH!

Did the same thing . . . . (misread it)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 2008 S60 Jewel Tail lights retrofit on a 2004 R (pelicanflyt)

Here are some better shots...please excuse the dirt on the car, it needs a bath..

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2008 S60 Jewel Tail lights retrofit on a 2004 R (RainyS60R)

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »
Looks good. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the original design, though. Less flashy, but they look a little cleaner.

Interested in selling one perhaps? There is a slight manufacturing flaw in my driver's side tail lamp that drives me nuts! Let me know.

Thanks, Tryg

Sorry, i want to keep the originals...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

If you want to update to jewels just call BVV I priced them when I was thinking about tinting mine they aren't that expensive http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: 2008 S60 Jewel Tail lights retrofit on a 2004 R (pelicanflyt)

Quote, originally posted by pelicanflyt »

Did the same thing . . . . (misread it)

Proof positive my dyslexia is still not gone.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,471 Posts

Proof positive my dyslexia is still not gone.

Maybe or have I it.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

Nice bling.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts

Very nice. Much better IMO. Was it difficult to do?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: 2008 S60 Jewel Tail lights retrofit on a 2004 R (baxteR)

I believe the '05-up lights are the same. Very easy to do - unhook the bulb harnesses and four nuts - off come the old housings. Takes just a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: 2008 S60 Jewel Tail lights retrofit on a 2004 R (jrgoffin)

Quote, originally posted by jrgoffin »
I believe the '05-up lights are the same. Very easy to do - unhook the bulb harnesses and four nuts - off come the old housings. Takes just a few minutes.

Incorrect! It is not a direct swap

What you need is :
Left tail lamp with foglamp
Right tail lamp without foglamp
Gasket (qt 2)
Upper bulb holder (qt 2)
Lower bulb holder (qt 2)

2005+ lights have an extra guiding pin that is not present in 2004- models. This mounting point needed to be cut and grinded away, which left a hole in the lights which then needs to be filled with silicon so that no water or moisture will get inside. The bulb holders on the 2008 lights are also different which needed to be swapped.

It is not terribly difficult for a car guy. But it does require some time, patience and modification. Besides that its just swapping it out. You will need to remove some electronics next to the rear fuse box to gain access to one of the bolts to remove the driver side light.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Yes, I knew the '04's differed, but I thought the other years were about the same. No big deal...

Here are some back-side shots of mine when I did the right-rear fog light if it helps anyone see the the frame (mine's an '06). Real easy stuff.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=95265

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (slowrey)

Quote, originally posted by slowrey »
I've never experienced where you have to use silicone on anything.

Here's my write up and PN list for retrofitting the 2005 headlights:

http://mmsean.com/volvo_howto.htm

Didn't you need to cut more than just the pin part to make the light flush? or did you bend the metal tab on the car body to make it fit? I found that when I just cut the pin, the base was still preventing the light to become flush and I had to remove more of it. Inside the base is hollow and therefore I needed to fill in the hole that was left open after I trimmed it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
jewel taillights

i googled and found this, instead of making a new thread. il resurect this thread and ask
are these the jewel taillights i have? i have an 04s60r.
i dont like them. anyone wana come trade me?
MY QUESTION IS THIS..when i go into reverse. i cant see anything (no reverse light) it seems that i have all the bulbs except the very bottom outside bulbs. but i think those areit, those are way off to the side...
and no other bulb is blown...any suggestions? where is the fuse to the reverse lights?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Re: jewel taillights (rick_rabies)

Im pretty sure that if one of your lights was out it would inform you of that inthe DIM display

1 - 20 of 38 Posts