SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 S60 2.5T with AT. Where, other than the dipstick tube in its fine location, can you add fluid to the transmission when you change the fluid. I have a 5 speed AW AT in a Ford 500 and it has an allen key plug in the top of the transmission. I see a large bolt head on top that could be it but I would like to hear from someone who knows. I just need to know where to fill it from and I do not want to start a debate about "to change or not to change" your transmission fluid in a Volvo. I am fully aware of the 3309 spec on the fluid as I already have an AW 5speed in the Ford that I have change every 30K miles, dump and fill, and it has a 166K on it and going strong. Thank you to all that help me with this.

·
Registered
2008 S60 2.5T
78 Posts
I have a 2008 S60 2.5T with AT. Where, other than the dipstick tube in its fine location, can you add fluid to the transmission when you change the fluid. ... I do not want to start a debate about "to change or not to change" your transmission fluid in a Volvo. ...
Nonetheless, I'm going to say it's a generally bad idea to change transmission fluid, because that often causes problems. Volvo recommends against it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Always have two views. All fluid breaks down . I have personally seen this work wonders. I think you should check with Volvo again . some have said that they changed this. I have not checked

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nonetheless, I'm going to say it's a generally bad idea to change transmission fluid, because that often causes problems. Volvo recommends against it.
Yea, if you are going to do it... only drain and fill. DO NOT flush.

·
Registered
2008 S60 2.5T
78 Posts
Always have two views. All fluid breaks down . I have personally seen this work wonders. I think you should check with Volvo again . some have said that they changed this. I have not checked
2003 s60 2.4t fwd.
When I bought my 2008 S60 2.5T recently I checked with two Volvo dealers in this area (in and near San Francisco), and both advised against changing the transmission fluid, saying that can cause serious problems, and confirmed this was official Volvo advice. The 2008 S60 Owner's Manual states:

The transmission oil does not normally need to be changed during the service life of the vehicle. However, it may be necessary to replace the oil if the vehicle is often driven in areas of sustained temperature extremes (hot or cold), when towing a trailer over long distances, for prolonged driving in mountainous areas, or if the vehicle is often driven short distances in temperatures under 40°F (5°C).
In other words, unless your transmission is frequently subjected to severe service, the fluid should only be changed if and when the transmission is overhauled.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Easy to do drain/fills on the 5 speed with dip stick. I have done multiple on our 2004 XC70. Transmission shifts well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
To each his own. I know that fluid breaks down and there is always debris produced with normal use. Combine that with no transmission filter to remove said debris and well to each his own. Check with the higher mileage owners and see.

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.

·
Registered
2008 S60 2.5T
78 Posts
To each his own. I know that fluid breaks down and there is always debris produced with normal use. Combine that with no transmission filter to remove said debris and well to each his own. Check with the higher mileage owners and see.
Changing the fluid, which is designed to last the service life of the transmission, stirs up that debris, which can cause serious problems. That some higher mileage owners have gotten away with changing is a bit like a smoker saying he is still alive. As always, "Your mileage may vary." Regardless, my concern is for the uninformed who may get screwed by following such advice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine will be changed for one simple reason. Transmission is as replaced by the previous owner . had a buddy do it and he cannot tell me what type of fluid he put in. He said atf is atf. So yeah there is a total red flag. If there is coolant in the smallest traces it can kill a transmission. So therefore I feel it is needed.

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If a flush is done right all the debris that was mentioned should get flushed out with the fluid. Anyways its been proven by many owners that changing the transmission oil helps solve alot of hard shifting/shift flare problems the trannys are prone too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 S60 2.5T
78 Posts
If a flush is done right all the debris that was mentioned should get flushed out with the fluid. Anyways its been proven by many owners that changing the transmission oil helps solve alot of hard shifting/shift flare problems the trannys are prone too
Flushing can remove debris, but flushing alone won't get all debris, and the process can have a negative effect on fitment and operation. That it works in some cases does not mean it will work in all cases.

My $0.02: Flushing is only suitable as a last resort alternative to transmission overhaul. Otherwise it can make things bad enough that an overhaul is then necessary.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Volvo states the transmission is a fill for life, meaning no replacement fluid needed. But I'm wondering how Aisin-Warner feels about that... Other car manufactures that use the AW55 transmission also state fill for life, but I don't think that it's the transmission manufactures recommendation. To a common car nut, this goes against anything you've ever learned or been taught about service life, longevity and fluids. I'd be real interested to see why they don't recommend changing it, and why some in here state that doing so will ruin it. I think if not done correctly, for sure you'll ruin it. But I can't see how replacing (not flushing) the fluid will damage the transmission.

·
Registered
2008 S60 2.5T
78 Posts
Volvo states the transmission is a fill for life, meaning no replacement fluid needed. But I'm wondering how Aisin-Warner feels about that... Other car manufactures that use the AW55 transmission also state fill for life, but I don't think that it's the transmission manufactures recommendation.
It would make no sense for car manufacturers to go against the recommendation of the transmission manufacturer. That other car manufacturers make the same recommendation as Volvo strongly suggests the transmission manufacturer agrees.

To a common car nut, this goes against anything you've ever learned or been taught about service life, longevity and fluids.
The service environment of a transmission is radically different from an engine.

I'd be real interested to see why they don't recommend changing it, and why some in here state that doing so will ruin it. I think if not done correctly, for sure you'll ruin it. But I can't see how replacing (not flushing) the fluid will damage the transmission.
  • See my prior posts.
  • Talk to Volvo service managers.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
There is also a filter in these transmissions I believe but is a real job to change

·
Registered
2008 S60 2.5T
78 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The transmission manufacturer and the car manufacturer. ;)

"I saw it on the Internet so it must be true." :facepalm:
Like I said to each is own. Just remember it's more profitable for car and transmission companies to sell parts. The people who built the Titanic said it was unsinkable

1 - 20 of 72 Posts