SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new S40 owner. I recently purchased a "slightly" used 2008 fwd S40, and when I accelerate swiftly at around 20 mph with the DSTC enabled it feels as though the front end shimmys? I had it to the dealer and they balanced the tires. I then disabled the DSTC for some time and it seemed to be better? Just wondering if anyone has had, or heard of anything like this before? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Re: 2008 S40 fwd seems to shimmy..... (teverett)

How many miles does it have? It could be allot of things a few things you can check yourself are. <p>DIY:<br>Tire pressure good?<br>Tire Wear even? If not maybe alignment?<br>Wheel torque? All lugs tightened to spec?<br>Rotate front tires to rear to check for bent wheel(s). <br>Visual inspection of front suspension components looking for loose bolts, obvious damage and CV boots intact. <p>Dealer check:<br>Alignment, tie rod ends, control arms, cv joints, steering electro-hydralic unit. <p>Also might try a search for keyword "shimmy".

·
Registered
921 Posts
Re: 2008 S40 fwd seems to shimmy..... (slrising)

FWD = Torque Steer?<p><br>What do you mean it "shimmies"? Does the wheel feel like its pulling slightly away from you while the car is doing this? Is it only when your goosin' it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

15,000 miles. I did check the tire pressure, and had the wheels re-balanced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Everything seems very good as far as wheel shake. It does seem to only do it when I "goose" it.

·
Registered
921 Posts

Hahah, yah, by chance, is this a 2.4i, or a T5? If its the T5, and it only happens when you're giving it alot of gas off the line. I'd just say torque steer.....<p>Car's never been in a accident right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 2008 S40 fwd seems to shimmy..... (greencow)

No accidents. Car-fax was clear. It is a 2.4i. If I go slow through the gears its fine, but if I start at stop light and get on it a little I then feel a slight shake. Aside from that the car drives straight, steady, and smooth. I'm really happy with the choice. I did talk to a service manager at a Volvo dealer and he said its not to worry about that an indicator would alarm me if there was an issue. It is just a very different car than I ever had, and I just wanted to make sure my purchase was a good one. I have hear so many great things about the car and I just wanted to be cautious, and talk to some owners and experts.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

Sounds like it's your traction control at work trying to keep your tires from breaking loose then and not really an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Great!!.........that's re-assuring. Thanks for all your assistance. Much appreciated

·
Registered
753 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>teverett</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm a new S40 owner. I recently purchased a "slightly" used 2008 fwd S40, and when I accelerate swiftly at around 20 mph with the DSTC enabled it feels as though the front end shimmys? I had it to the dealer and they balanced the tires. I then disabled the DSTC for some time and it seemed to be better? Just wondering if anyone has had, or heard of anything like this before? Thanks!!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I know this shimmy well. <p>Automatic trans? its normal. People that lower their cars get it 10x worse. Its only at low speeds with a decent amount of gas. I believe it to be related to the engine jumping up and down ever so slightly (as its a 5cyl) Other then around 15-20 mph everything is smooth right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 2008 S40 fwd seems to shimmy..... (zerocover)

That's it.. other than that the car is super smooth. thanks for the info. It really eases my mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts