SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the battery died in my 2008 S40 2.4i. I tried jump starting the car, but no luck. Decided to get a new battery, everything works (radio, A/C) but the car doesn't crank and I can't even shift it out of park. I thought that maybe there is something wrong with immobilizer, but the only message that I get on the dashboard is "Engine System Service Required". Looks like all the cables connected to the CEM are fine... Also, when I turn the key into position III to start the car, I can hear fuel pump working... Do you guys have any ideas what might be wrong?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Sounds like a crashed ECM. Have you tried disconnecting the battery negative terminal (ground side), leaving it disconnected for a few minutes, then firmly reconnecting, no wiggling?

If that doesn't work you may be in for a flatbed ride sorry to say.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying tmtalpey. I haven't tried disconnecting the negative terminal, I'll check it as quickly as I get back home. If it turns out to be a crashed ECM, I'll have to look for a dealer/independent Volvo shop that is able to program it, correct?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turned out to be bad ECM fuse. What a relief!

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Pfew! Glad you're back in gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts