SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New owner for this 2008 XC70 D5 AWD. She has a few problems but i'm slowly getting around to fixing them...
One of them relates to the struts / shocks... all of them feel pretty loose.

I already ordered new KYBs for the rear end, seems a breeze to change them. For the front struts, it's a bit more complicated. New KYBs with matching mounts will cost me around 400 AUD, plus I have to buy the spring compressor tool. Another option would be used OEMs from a junkyard for 500 AUD. The donor car had 75000 km on it and I would get the whole assembly, no need for spring tool, faster to change, etc.

Any thoughts? I read conflicting reports about the quality of KYB lately and I don't want to go through all that trouble only to have them leak in the next few thousand kilometres...

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
KYB is a well regarded company when it comes to shocks and struts. I doubt you will have any problems. If you’re already replacing the rear with KYB, the front might as well match. The only thing is that they are known to have a firmer ride than say a Sachs or Monroe equivalent. But they are a high quality product nonetheless. Personally, I would not use a used pair of struts on my car over a new strut from a well known company. It is some extra hassle to deal with the spring at home, but you could also take the strut assemblies to a shop and have them transfer all the parts for you, I know I had a heck of a time with my car trying to do it myself. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greys. I’m not keen on used struts either, but it would be easy, that’s all. Biggest fear is to sit there strut all disassembled and realise they send the wrong mount or something like that...

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up doing the rear shocks tonight. Night and day difference. Highly recommend checking those rear struts. Takes 2 min to take them out once your car is up and wheel off.

However. Still not quite hard enough. For me anyway. So I ordered KYB on the front as well since they’re supposed to be stiffer than Sachs. I must say though, the Sachs shocks look to be better built than KYB. Obvious choice for those who like the Sachs/ OEM soft ride.

Cheers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ended up doing the rear shocks tonight. Night and day difference. Highly recommend checking those rear struts. Takes 2 min to take them out once your car is up and wheel off.

However. Still not quite hard enough. For me anyway. So I ordered KYB on the front as well since they’re supposed to be stiffer than Sachs. I must say though, the Sachs shocks look to be better built than KYB. Obvious choice for those who like the Sachs/ OEM soft ride.

Cheers.
Hey a14, any update on how the front KYBs worked out? How do you like them?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I swapped mine out about 3 weeks ago. They feel so much better than the shot 4C. The car feels firmly planted to the ground, and it goes over bumps with minimal feedback through the steering wheel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,

New owner for this 2008 XC70 D5 AWD. She has a few problems but i'm slowly getting around to fixing them...
One of them relates to the struts / shocks... all of them feel pretty loose.

I already ordered new KYBs for the rear end, seems a breeze to change them. For the front struts, it's a bit more complicated. New KYBs with matching mounts will cost me around 400 AUD, plus I have to buy the spring compressor tool. Another option would be used OEMs from a junkyard for 500 AUD. The donor car had 75000 km on it and I would get the whole assembly, no need for spring tool, faster to change, etc.

Any thoughts? I read conflicting reports about the quality of KYB lately and I don't want to go through all that trouble only to have them leak in the next few thousand kilometres...

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.
Have you considered SACHS? I fitted them on my W124 230E Mercedes, including the steering damper, and have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What did you do about the 4C system? Are you simply 'dealing with' the dash errors every day?
I just hit read on the stalk, and it clears the message. It only comes on on when I restart the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts