SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I just purchased a 2008 C70 with only 70K miles and it seems to be in good condition. (I had an '04 C70 and loved that)

The roof works... goes up and down... but I think there may be some problems with the sensors. Here are the symptoms:
  • Occasionally, the roof will stop mid-function and the button no longer responds, If I turn the key off and on again, it will continue to work
  • When the roof is all the way down (and I can see the lock pull it down snugly) the windows do not go back up and I can hear the hydraulic motor continue to work.
  • If I drive the car in this condition, the message window says "Top Malfunction" and I get the audible error alarm telling me that the roof is not locked
  • In order to put the roof up again, I have to disconnect the battery and reconnect it.
  • When I put the roof up again, it goes all of the way up and locks but, again, the windows do not close and the error message tells me that the there is a top malfunction.
  • If I disconnect and reconnect the battery, the error message goes away and I can drive the car normally

It appears (to me) that the problem is with the sensors. Or maybe it's a bad controller.

Is that a known problem?

How do I troubleshoot those?

I have found the following publication which shows where the sensors are but I am not sure which ones to test or how to test them.
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/c70/2007VolvoC70-FullDetails.pdf

Can the sensors be adjusted?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have absolutely no help to offer other than my good wishes for a speed resolution to your problem.
Welcome to the hardtop convertible world!!! The differences aren't quite "night and day" between the ragtop and your "new" ride; but I'm not sure we would have purchased THREE more C70s if Volvo had stayed with the ragtop. What an improvement!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have absolutely no help to offer other than my good wishes for a speed resolution to your problem.
Welcome to the hardtop convertible world!!! The differences aren't quite "night and day" between the ragtop and your "new" ride; but I'm not sure we would have purchased THREE more C70s if Volvo had stayed with the ragtop. What an improvement!!!
Thanks for the 'welcome'. Yes, the newer C70 is a much nicer car. It performs better, seems more powerful and is much stiffer. I still own the '04; it has 209K miles and I have always disliked the "scuttle shake"... it makes me cringe when driving over pot-holes.

Hopefully, someone has some clues as to how to fix the roof.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

Since the roof is very complex and have many sensors, The best approach you can do is with VIDA.
Not only will tell you what errors your CRM (Convertible Roof Module) has stored, but also will show you the live status of every roof sensor connected, it will let you restart the CRM, and many other functions.

Here you have a couple of PDF's I printed from VIDA with the location of the sensors and a chart with the required conditions to let the roof operate.:

C70 Roof - Location of components

C70 Roof Flow chart

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on your purchase!

Since the roof is very complex and have many sensors, The best approach you can do is with VIDA.
Not only will tell you what errors your CRM (Convertible Roof Module) has stored, but also will show you the live status of every roof sensor connected, it will let you restart the CRM, and many other functions.

Here you have a couple of PDF's I printed from VIDA with the location of the sensors and a chart with the required conditions to let the roof operate.:

C70 Roof - Location of components

C70 Roof Flow chart
Thanks so much for the reply! I know this is a complex mechanism and possibly a bit of a black art.

I don't mind doing some research and tinkering myself. I am an engineer by profession (Yacht Designer, actually, but close enough) so I am pretty good with mechanical stuff.

Excuse my ignorance but what is VIDA? I assume it's some kind of Volvo Information and Diagnostics system. How do I get access? I don't mind investing; I would like to be able to keep this car in shape for a long time. I have an OBD2 scanner but that's really just engine.

Thanks again for your reply. Let me know about VIDA. In the meantime I will start looking at the pdf's you sent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK. I just searched "Volvo VIDA" and I see it's a "Vehicle Information and Diagnostics for Aftersales" and it looks like they're no too expensive. I have a BOSCH 1050 OBD2 (bluetooth) but I am pretty sure it will not tell me about the roof.

Can you suggest a good VIDA for a 2008 C70. Bluetooth to iPhone would be nice unless that compromises functionality. I found one that looks good but it requires Windows 7 which is no longer supported by Microsoft. I'm not too worried about price. That said, I don't want to spend more than I have to but if it doesn't tell me the specifics of the C70 roof malfunction, that's not very helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Alternative scanners usually won't go deep in the car electronics. You want VIDA and a DiCE unit, trust me.

The VIDA software is for PC only, and for connecting the car to the PC, you will need a DiCE unit (Volvo Diagnostic Communication Equipment), This is the interface Volvo Dealers use.

an example of a clone DiCE version is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDA-DICE-2014A-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-OBD2-SCANNER-FOR-VOLVO-NEW/321321583092?hash=item4ad04241f4:g:HN4AAOxydlFSohQF

These units usually come with the pirated VIDA 2014D software (discontinued version) and is perfect for doing diagnostics, enable and disable some functions and it also has repair manuals (this is dealer level stuff). BUT it won't let you do software upgrades (adding a new key, roof module software reload after replacing, etc). if you have to do software upgrades you will need a legit subscription to VIDA2015 (link here) which costs ~$80 for a 3-day subscription + the cost of each software you download (usually ~$36 each) and use your own DiCE unit. Clone units work with VIDA2015, last week I programmed a new key for my C70.

VIDA 2014D works in windows 7, but it should be possible to get it to work in Windows 10.

The clone DiCE units don't have bluetooth and the SD Card slot the only way to connect those to a PC is via USB. If you end up using it with VIDA 2015. DO NOT UPGRADE THE DiCE SOFTWARE, it will brick it.

Genuine DiCE units costs around $600, and if you intend to use it with bluetooth, you will need a the genuine DiCE bluetooth dongle. (not sure if it works with others)

Here's a DiCE release bulletin explaining about it and the parts numbers

Good Luck!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Best way to run 2014 Vida is in a virtual machine... you should be able to find a VMimage with VIDA preloaded somewhere around these parts without too much effort ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Or maybe if he has a spare laptop running windows 7.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alternative scanners usually won't go deep in the car electronics. You want VIDA and a DiCE unit, trust me.

The VIDA software is for PC only, and for connecting the car to the PC, you will need a DiCE unit (Volvo Diagnostic Communication Equipment), This is the interface Volvo Dealers use.

an example of a clone DiCE version is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDA-DICE-2014A-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-OBD2-SCANNER-FOR-VOLVO-NEW/321321583092?hash=item4ad04241f4:g:HN4AAOxydlFSohQF

These units usually come with the pirated VIDA 2014D software (discontinued version) and is perfect for doing diagnostics, enable and disable some functions and it also has repair manuals (this is dealer level stuff). BUT it won't let you do software upgrades (adding a new key, roof module software reload after replacing, etc). if you have to do software upgrades you will need a legit subscription to VIDA2015 (link here) which costs ~$80 for a 3-day subscription + the cost of each software you download (usually ~$36 each) and use your own DiCE unit. Clone units work with VIDA2015, last week I programmed a new key for my C70.

VIDA 2014D works in windows 7, but it should be possible to get it to work in Windows 10.

The clone DiCE units don't have bluetooth and the SD Card slot the only way to connect those to a PC is via USB. If you end up using it with VIDA 2015. DO NOT UPGRADE THE DiCE SOFTWARE, it will brick it.

Genuine DiCE units costs around $600, and if you intend to use it with bluetooth, you will need a the genuine DiCE bluetooth dongle. (not sure if it works with others)

Here's a DiCE release bulletin explaining about it and the parts numbers

Good Luck!
Thanks! I just ordered the VIDA / CICE unit from the bay link you shared. $150 seems like a bargain compared to $600. In any case, I am hoping to keep the car for a while so this is a good investment (I have owned the '04 for 8 years and have put 118K miles on top of the 90K it came with and hope to have as much success with the '08)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks! I just ordered the VIDA / CICE unit from the bay link you shared. $150 seems like a bargain compared to $600. In any case, I am hoping to keep the car for a while so this is a good investment (I have owned the '04 for 8 years and have put 118K miles on top of the 90K it came with and hope to have as much success with the '08)

Thanks again.
You're welcome!

The DICE unit is one of the best investments for a Volvo owner looking to fix his own car. It will pay for itself on the first uses, IF not on the very first one (like it did for me).

Just so happens, I have an old Windows 7 machine.. :)
Excellent! For me, having a dedicated laptop for VIDA/DiCE is the best setup anyone can have.
Just make sure the laptop has a good battery, at least 4 GB of RAM, and Internet Explorer 9 ONLY. There are some compatibility issues with Internet Explorer 10.
Also having a fresh Windows installation is better. I had conflict with other softwares when I tried to install it on my PC.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my VIDA/DICE reader arrives Monday but my mechanic let me use his Launch Scanpad 071 (nice unit!) and I read the CRM codes with the roof:
- closed
- open stuck at max open position
- open in fully down position

In all positions, the CRM displays a “Hall sensor 19 short to ground”

Now I guess I need to figure out where the short is. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
So my VIDA/DICE reader arrives Monday but my mechanic let me use his Launch Scanpad 071 (nice unit!) and I read the CRM codes with the roof:
- closed
- open stuck at max open position
- open in fully down position

In all positions, the CRM displays a “Hall sensor 19 short to ground”

Now I guess I need to figure out where the short is. Any suggestions appreciated.
Pulled this up with a Google Search. Good Luck!

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/c70/ConvertibleRoof.pdf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So... I purchased the VIDA / DICE module from the link referenced previously. The unit came with two CDs. I ran the installation CD but the software does not seem to be working.

Hi:

I purchased a VIDA / DICE unit for a Volvo C70recently and I am having trouble getting the software to work. I'm actually really good with computers and software but I am not sure what is supposed to be happening. My inclination would be to uninstall and re-install and see if I get a better result but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has suggestions. Also, should I have a login account with "Volvo Cars Manager"??? (see below)

I have run the setup program on an HP Elitebook 8440p, 4Gb RAM and Windows 7
The setup script created 4 icons on my desktop but none of them seem to function correctly:

- VIDA Admin: Connects to https://vcamauth.global.volvocars.biz/nidp/..... where there is a login page for "Volvo Cars Manager" Do I have a login account for this?

- VIDA All-in-one: Is trying to connect to http://localhost/Vida but the page is not responding. Should the setup script have loaded a local web server? Is there something else wrong?

- VIDA Configuration: This opens a small message window titled "VidaConfigurator" and the message simply says VidaConfigurator has stopped working. (with a couple of links to check online for a solution or Close the program

- VIDA on Web: Similar to "Vida ADMIN" takes me to a login page at "Volvo Cars Manager"

Can someone help me get the software working correctly or guide me to an appropriate resource.

Thank you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
No, you don't need a "Volvo Cars Manager" account. That's for when you have a legitimate VIDA license and a VIDA 2015 copy. Because of this, the icons "VIDA Admin" and VIDA on Web" are now useless with VIDA 2014D.

"VIDA All-in-One" is the icon you will use to access. make sure it opens with Internet Explorer and not other web browser. Also you need Internet Explorer 9, it doesn't work with IE10.

Open "VIDA Configuration" and make sure the option "VCC Intranet" is selected.

Did you apply the medicine? PM me if your copy didn't come with it.

after this you should be able to use VIAD with no problems.

If you decide to start over, make sure you complete these steps:

First: VIDA needs port TCP 80 to be free and open. Do you have a firewall installed or anything using that port?, if not disable or uninstall that to allow VIDA to work.

Second: The window named "VIDA Configurator" pops up at the end of the installation, and you need to select the option "VCC Intranet" and then select "Save" and close. This is a very important step.

Third: Apply the "Medicine" and restart

Once the VIDA installatio is complete, you access through the "VIDA-All-in-one" icon. it's a local website. These are usernames my "medicine" instructions came with:

No password required for all of them.

username: admin
Description: administrator, in normal case you don't neeed to use

username: 1
Description: user for INT market

username: 2
Description: user for AME market (I use this one all the time, because if for the American market. I also tested it with an European market VIN and it works no problem.)

username: 3
Description: user for NOR market

username: 4
Description: user for EUR market

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Is your wireless turned off on the laptop? Make sure you don’t connect to the internet while using 2014D after installing the app. That is what I was told when I bought my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Under normal circumstances wireless either on or off shouldn’t affect VIDA. Because you’re connecting to localhost (127.0.0.1).

He may have a firewall blocking port TCP 80 most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank for your replies...

I just checked IE and it's version 11. I went to download and install IE9 and got the message that it is incompatible with my version of Windows. I have Windows Professional 7, Service Pack 1.

I have turn off the Windows Firewall but I don't think I'm connecting to the VIDA/DICE unit. All four lights on the unit are flashing but the "Diagnostics" menu is greyed out which tells me that it's not connected (or I don't know what I'm looking for)

Here is a screen capture of what I see. (I entered the VIN number for the car shown manually, it was not found by the VIDA/DICE)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts