SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know there are other postings about buying a used S60- what to look for, potential issues for specific year models and son on. But I’m very seriously considering a used S60 and I still have some questions…

I’m focusing on 2008 and 2009 models that are 36-month lease turn-ins. They’ve only had one owner and most have less than 40k miles on them. I’m avoiding any cars that have been part of a corporate fleet, especially prior rental vehicles!

I really like the T5 models, but they are few and far between. I’m also not interested in the Imola Two-Tone Leather or 18” Eudora wheel option, which explains why I only have one viable T5 candidate within 500 miles!

I also like the 2.5T model, but ONLY if it has the optional Advanced Package. The 17” Tucana alloys, high-end audio upgrade, back-up sensors and alloy interior trim make a big difference compared to ones with just the Premium Package (hate the wood dash trim). These aren’t’ impossible to find, but the ones I’ve found have been overpriced compared to models without the Advanced Package.

I have no interest in a 2.5T with AWD, just the FWD. I also don’t care for the tan/beige interior either.

I have my eye on a 2008 S60 T5 in Graphite Gray with Black interior, 32k miles, T5 Advanced Package (spoiler, audio upgrade, bi-xenon headlamps), Climate Package (heated seats, headlamp washers, rain-sensing wipers) and it has the standard 17” Cassiopeia alloys! It has been sitting at the same Ford dealer’s used lot since January, so they’re motivated to sell it! It was originally priced at $19,900, and has been reduced to $18,200, but I offered $16,500 and they said they would take it….but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I had it inspected by a local Volvo dealer’s service department and the car is literally in NEW condition! No issues.’

Can I expect a 2008 T5 to be as reliable as a 2008 2.5T? Any issues specific to either model?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Both have long had the rough edges ironed out ( since 03 ).
Both are reliable without any major issues.

If you live in a dense area with lots of traffic the 2.5T has a far better torque in the low end.
If you live in less populated area with open space the T5 has a better top end ( but lags in the low end )

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Definitely a desirable model since it actually came with the xenon option. Make sure you protect those bad boys from UV rays with some xpel or lamin-x film(will keep them from fading like all plastic headlights do).

I'm still happy with my t5 nearly 5 years after i got it and that 08 has a cooler instrument panel, interior aesthetic refinements(cup holder, trim around radio/climate stack), painted body moldings, tuned down R motor, and above all XENONS!

In 07 when i bought my 03 with 55k miles, the price was 14.5k. Yours is the same age(~4 years old at time of purchase), and very close in price... with nearly HALF the miles. Buy it and don't look back.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I love my 05 T5 and I haven't had any real issues with it yet in my 6 months of ownership. I was looking for one with slightly newer and with lower miles than mine but they are difficult to find especially with service records, that said I'd pull the trigger on the T5

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
793 Posts
Get the T5. A much more rare vehicle. I have had my 2005 for 2 years and have not had any major problems. You can also extend the CPO warranty to 7 years or 100,000 miles. Good peace of mind. Mine is about to expire in February 2013 and they have a bunch of warranties items (worn, not broken) to replace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts