SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is, I purchased a mint condition (esthetically) 2007 XC90 V8 Inscription series SUV. Truck is gorgeous, black with the two tone red/grey interior and has close to 100,000miles (140,000km's).

Problem is that shortly after I bought it, the tranny acted up a couple of times. I had seen this on my XC70 and figured I needed a TCM updated and shrugged it off thinking I would take it easy on the gas until that was done.

TCM update was done, minor improvement but not on the more obvious issues...here are the symptoms:

Engine flare up from 2nd to 3rd (RPM's will shoot up and the truck feels like it's neutral for a moment followed by a loud thunk out of the back and the gear shifts)...

When at cruising speed (45 MPH or so), kick it to speed up (ie onto a highway), it shifts very roughly from 6th to 3rd (jolts)...

Some have posted about tranny oil changes with some success...

Anyone else have this experience and get through it without a tranny change? Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same problem on my 06. Tried everything. Bought a reman tranny and it's doing fine. There is a thread somewhere here about this. Most people haven't had any luck short of tranny replacement.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crap, lol.

Going to attempt the tranny flush and if not, so be it.... Thx for the post.

Sent using Note 2 by Samsung

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx bud, it's my first level of attack :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had this problem with my 07 after doing a rear main seal and then used the Mobil 1 spec. tranny fluid to top tranny off. Could not figure it out or stop it until I finally broke down and bought the OEM Volvo transmission fluid and flushed the system and filled with the Volvo fluid and now 20k miles later no slams or high revs. I think these transmissions are very sensitive to the fluid try a flush and fill with the OEM fluid. Good luck.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Transmission flush completed at the dealer yesterday.

Instant improvement and no codes anymore in Vida. Will see if it dissipates completely or not.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
How much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking? I have to get mine in for the same as I am coming up on 100k. Glad to hear it!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was $295 at the dealer... Big difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are a capable shade tree mechanic and have a helper this is a simple job to do yourself. I could not agree more that the OEM Volvo transmission fluid makes all the difference in the world with these transmissions.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They pump 16l of oil through the tranny with degunker and then top up with 4l of Volvo oil. So far, so good. Barely a few hundred km's but non flare up and up shifts are smooth.

Sent using Note 2 by Samsung now Free

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update, very few issues with the tranny. Almost flawless on Upshifts. Downshifts are still rough at times. Did the adaptation reset tonight, more to come. Promising but not quite there yet.

Sent using Note 2 by Samsung now Free

·
Registered
649 Posts
I had some weird issues with my transmission - harsh 2-3 upshifts, harsh D-R engagement, and the RPMs would flutter when the transmission was locked in 6th and I was at part throttle, like a slight uphill at low speeds.

I did a flush by bypassing the transmission cooler and using 10q of Toyota T-IV fluid. Harsh upshifts got worse for a week. After a week, all symptoms are gone. Car drives like new, been driving like new for about 15k miles since. About to come up to 20k miles with the new fluid, going to do another flush but this time with Redline D4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Transmission flush completed at the dealer yesterday.

Instant improvement and no codes anymore in Vida. Will see if it dissipates completely or not.

Thanks for the tips.

volvoxc90v8 does the same thing, valve body needs to be changed? if yes, what is the cost? I did do transmission flush no help.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Valve body... I believe it's $1,600+labor... I swapped the transmission for $4k...But it's warranties 2yrs/unlimited mileage now and it was too risky to change the valve body and it have had other internal issues.

Call Volvo, they chipped in.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
3,391 Posts
The valve bodies are available for around $600 from aftermarket remanufacturers, and can be of much higher quality than the units directly from Volvo. There is a company called reamman which specializes is nothing but aisin/warner valve bodies. I ordered one for my XC90 from them and it was a great experience. I ended up sending it back though, because the flush completely fixed my issues. I would personally go with this company simply because they apply several updates to the valve body that you won't get with the volvo unit, plus it's way less expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm chiming in to say that I was also having the same issue on my 2007 XC90 V8 Sport/R-Design with 90,000 miles. 2nd-3rd gear flare (a couple of times it was violent enough to chirp the tires), clunk into reverse, sometimes a clunk downshifting.

The dealer said I needed a new valve body for around $3,200 but recommended a full transmission at $6,000-7,000. I went with a fluid flush since some had success with it but it actually increased the frequency of the problem. I emailed Volvo corporate to ask for some help with the repair cost given the mileage but they turned me down since I was the second owner, even though I provided several links showing it to be a common issue.

I truly wanted to keep the car and strongly considered replacing the transmission, but the car was only valued at around $10k and was disappointed in Volvo's response so this weekend I traded it in and couldn't be happier. So long Volvo.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a shame that we have to push so hard for them to take responsibility.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hey Guys.

Long time... no visit, for me. :)

Until now, that is. It's been a little over 2 years since my wife and I bought a used 2006 XC90 V8 (with ~67k miles). We had a similar issue shortly after we bought it... with a 2-3 'shutter' and some harder downshifts during normal driving. We went through all the hoops and had the valve body replaced at an Indy shop (using a rebuild from Reamman), and put in OEM (overpriced) Volvo ATF. Unfortunately after doing so, the 'shutter' still remained. I figured, no use in sticking more $ into it until something severe happened. All was fine for about 2 years... no codes, no warnings, etc., just some rough shifts from 2-3 at times. At other times, it shifted fine.

Now, 2 years+ later... and ~82k miles on it, a different story. I noticed last week, a REAL 2-3 shift 'flare' where the RPMs rev up to ~3k, then shifts (sometimes hard) just like others have mentioned in this thread. All other gears are fine. Unfortunately, I think it is "time to bite the bullet". Is a new/rebuilt tranny in order here? I'm still not getting any codes or other issues... just the 'flare'. It seems to happen when the vehicle is 'warmed up' more, after 30min or so of driving. I wouldn't think the fluid would be the issue, with it not even being 20k miles since we had the new fluid (and reman valve body) installed.

We love the vehicle otherwise, and plan to keep it for a long time. It's a smooth driving, quiet, safe vehicle for my wife and 3 year-old... so putting $4,500 in for a new trans isn't that bad, I guess. Trading it in or getting rid of it, only to get something else and start all over again isn't really an option. I guess there's only one thing left to do then! :(

I'm hesitant to view the responses here (for fear of what they're going to be)... but feel free to comment as necessary. Anyone think it's worth the $300.00 for another flush/fill with Volvo ATF? or should we just bend over and bite down on that bullet???

As always, thanks for the input guys.

Take care,

Gregg

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I replaced the transmission, the problem will only get worse and when it slams into gear, I fear it can damage other components.
If you scan with Vida, you should see a code. I was getting "shift taking too long" or something like that.
Good luck, I'm very happy that I replaced it, love it otherwise.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts