SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
"I'm not getting in the car again" [gets into a 2005 parked in the background] :facepalm:

Interesting that it allegedly hasn't been dealer-serviced...wonder what that would have to do with it.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If it was dealer serviced one could say they should have seen the issue.

Since it wasn't serviced at the dealer there is no way for the factory to know if other things were done by idiots that screwed things up and Volvo had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Oh come on, who brings a 10 year old vehicle to the dealer for oil changes. I've got Volvo specific shops I go to. They haven't released what did cause the fire, only that Volvo isn't responsible. It could have been the battery or a cracked lens leaking water in, who knows. But I wouldn't say that anyones car that catches fire is automatically sol because they didn't get their oil changes done at the dealer.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Don't forget guys, everything is someone else's fault.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Oh come on, who brings a 10 year old vehicle to the dealer for oil changes. I've got Volvo specific shops I go to. They haven't released what did cause the fire, only that Volvo isn't responsible. It could have been the battery or a cracked lens leaking water in, who knows. But I wouldn't say that anyones car that catches fire is automatically sol because they didn't get their oil changes done at the dealer.
I do. That's why my van has lasted ten years. Mechanically its solid, the body not so much.

There are a lot of incompetent repair shops out there. Their "techs" aren't trained very well and they're not paid much so they don't care.

The high quality shops where they invest money to train their people are just as expensive as a dealer. So why not go to a place where the techs see my vehicle everyday and know just about every issue?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It's a cost issue. The dealer charges 125 bucks for an oil change private shops charge anywhere from 30 to 75. Nevermind repair costs. Volvo dealer wanted 500 bucks to replace a 50 dollar fuel pressure sensor on our 06 s40. Guess who's got an extra 450 bucks in their pocket? Not Volvo. If you do every repair and maintenance item at the dealer, chances are your car isn't going to be very affordable. I can't believe people are suggesting on a site full of diy articles and praise for the volvo indie that these cars should only be touched by Volvo dealerships.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
... chances are your car isn't going to be very affordable.
no car is affordable.

This argument depends on where you live. A lot of places don't have quality indie repair shops. There is one near me specializing in volvos however they have mixed reviews because the owner has good and bad days. This highlights the range of quality from non-dealer techs.

Would I get a $50 sensor replaced at that shop? no. Do I have the tools/time/confidence to change a $50 sensor? no. If you do, that's fantastic, but most people don't.

Contrary to what most people think, don't work on their own cars. In fact, I don't know anyone that works on their own cars, not even swap out winter/summer wheels because of the tools.

·
Registered
396 Posts
...Contrary to what most people think, don't work on their own cars. In fact, I don't know anyone that works on their own cars, not even swap out winter/summer wheels because of the tools.
I work on my own cars because:
- I know I do a decent job.
- I avoid being ripped off by dealer.
- I only put quality Volvo OEM or equivalent in my XC90 (Wahler, ATE, Lemforder etc.).

People go to dealer b/c they have extra cash to feed the dealer, which can be incompetent too.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Most of the guys I know work on their own cars.. I guess it depends on who you know. I live next door to a shop and I'm friendly with the owner. He lets me borrow tools and he'll do me favors like get parts delivered for me and empty my ac system if I need it. I don't think that I should be held accountable for a tail light assembly catching fire if it's a manufacturing defect, because I changed my wheel bearings or whatever. That doesn't make sense. If I made modifications to the wiring or something then sure, but that's not what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
It's a cost issue. The dealer charges 125 bucks for an oil change private shops charge anywhere from 30 to 75. Nevermind repair costs. Volvo dealer wanted 500 bucks to replace a 50 dollar fuel pressure sensor on our 06 s40. Guess who's got an extra 450 bucks in their pocket? Not Volvo. If you do every repair and maintenance item at the dealer, chances are your car isn't going to be very affordable. I can't believe people are suggesting on a site full of diy articles and praise for the volvo indie that these cars should only be touched by Volvo dealerships.
So if you follow a DIY, and fix a widget on your car, and two weeks later it blows up, whose fault is it?

On the other hand, if the dealer does all maintenance in your car, and then replaces the same widget, and two weeks later it blows up, whose fault is it? Whose fault is it most likely not?

You proved my point.

BTW, only two people/places have touched my wife's ten year old 123k mile XC90. The dealer who has done every oil change since new about every 4,000 miles, and me. I did the tune up, brakes & flush, coolant flush, front suspension, motor mounts. They did the transmission flush rear bearings, front ball joints, etc.

Now if there is a fire in the rear taillight an argument can be made it is my fault since I changed the left brake bulb twice in the last eight years along with a few peanut bulbs.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I don't know what point I proved, but I could say that you've proved my point also. If the dealer fixes your axle, and the tail light catches fire, you blame the dealer? If they change the alternator, and the battery catches fire, do you really think the dealers gonna give you a new car? That's what ins is for. If the car isn't under warranty, it doesn't matter who replaces what parts. If the dealer rebuilds your engine they will give you a warranty with that rebuild, only covering the parts that they touched. If they rebuild the top, and the fly wheel falls off, do you really think they're covering that?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Nothing like objective, fact based, and unbiased reporting. November 4th musta been a slow news day in Toronto.

Fact check-
"Volvo recalled the 2005 model year of XC90s because of electrical problems". Guy was driving a 2007, what did that statement have to do anything with the story?

A review of the recalls over the years will not suggest any outright electrical issues common to the model line (loose solenoid bolt in '05 for specific early models notwithstanding):
http://www.cars.com/recalls/volvo/xc90/

And in 10+ years being a member of Swedespeed, I'm scratching my head to recall any pattern relating to tail light fires.

As an end note, if you're ever curious to see if you have any pending recalls, go here and enter your VIN: http://www.volvocars.com/us/own/owner-info/recall-information

1 - 13 of 13 Posts