SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 XC90 3.2, it has begun surging at highway speeds and gotten progressively worse. When it first began I would feel slight momentary hesitation when driving at highway speeds, almost as if there’s a gust of wind pushing the car back. Now it starts the slight hesitation then builds to a significant jerking motion as the engine seems as though it is trying to stall. This happens once the engine is warm and have been driving for a while, AC on or off. Also, when left to idle, there is no evident problem. Once the engine cools, pretty much left overnight, the issue goes away for a while. Basically there is no problem until after 45 minutes of driving, then it starts hesitating slightly, and building up to jerking over a period of 15-20 minutes more of driving.

I found a great write up for this problem over at Matthews, but it is for 2006 and previous years, which have the exact same issue I am having, but from what I understand post model year 2006 no longer uses the same ETM and MAF configuration.

I guess my questions are

1. Will the MAF sensor cause this same issue by itself?

2. Will the newer 2007 throttle position sensor cause the same problems like the ETM of the 2006 and prior?

3. what else should I be looking at that may be causing this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,298 Posts
This is where the codes should really be checked. It could be a variety of sensors or none at all.

Did a check engine light come on at all?
Do you know if your transmission is clear from the valve body issues in 2007?
What's your maintenance history?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is where the codes should really be checked. It could be a variety of sensors or none at all.

Did a check engine light come on at all?
Do you know if your transmission is clear from the valve body issues in 2007?
What's your maintenance history?

Not sure about the transmission, how do I tell?

220k miles on the vehicle, has had the oil & filter changed every 4k miles, all scheduled maintenances done at dealership; Work I have done, Fuel pump, sending unit and fuel filter replaced and fuel tank cleaned out 60k miles ago, new AC compressor, water pump, power steering pump, tensioner pulley idler pulley, and serpentine belt 55k miles ago. A/C blower motor and resistor replaced 50k miles ago. Ball joints, control arms and bushings, sway bar arms replaced 20k miles ago. Front struts, bushings, washers, all related parts except springs replaced 10k miles ago. I also just noticed today that my passenger side axle boot is shredded and there is a bit of play in the fairly dry joint, I guess I'll be ordering one of those and replacing it this next week as well.

CEL is on, I just went and had the codes run for me, quite a few! Hopefully this will give us an idea of what's going on. I ordered and am waiting for shipping on a DICE unit, but hoping I can resolve this before it finally shows up on July 31.

Here are the Codes that came up and notes given.

ECM-P030500 Cyl 5 misfire detected
ECM-P030600 Cyl 6 misfire detected
ECM-P030000 Random misfire detected
ECM-P064D68 Internal Control Module 02Sensor Processor Performance (Bank 1)
ECM-P042000 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
ECM-P042000 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
ECM-P008800 Fuel rail/System Pressure Too High
ECM-P193400 Vehicle Speed Signal
ECM-P073768 TCM Engine Speed Output Circuit Algorithm Based Failure

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,298 Posts
Congrats on the 200k+ mile club.

Great, you were able to get the general codes read. With VIDA, it can tell when the trouble code started, how often it is happening, and the last time it happened. Bad sensors can go wonky with heat so your hesitation could be a simple sensor. Let's hope it's that simple.

There seems to be the misfire issue which could be connected to the O2/Cat and fuel pressure. The one part you did not mention is replacing the fuel pressure sensor, but you have done all the other fuel system parts. The sensor can go bad between anywhere around 60-150k miles on any P2 Volvo, so if yours is original, you got extended life out of it. It's probably the cheapest part you could change related to your running issues. I talk a little about how to change it in the 3.2 in the About the 3.2 link in my signature.

I don't think it is a coil yet because two cylinders are misfiring, but it could be an ignition issue. I also think it might not be coil related because both cat banks show efficiency issues, not just one bank where cyl 5 & 6 are at. I would hold off on assuming ignition until a new fuel pressure sensor to see if it changes how the engine runs. If the problem or O2 codes persist with the fuel pressure code gone, then I would move to the ignition.

The vehicle speed signal and TCM engine speed output could be connected because they are processed through the ECM. I believe it could be the cankshaft sensor because I've seen the exact issue in several other cars (not Volvo) and this would coincide with the harsh running when hot after driving a while. I wish you had VIDA because it would be more specific. The vehicle speed is generated through the BCM and is also used by the TCM to adjust rpms when shifting. Perhaps someone who has this type of issue specific to the XC90 could help.

If your transmission has been shifting fine for the past 200k miles, then your valve body is probably fine. Here is more info on the valve body issue and transmission range: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...r-by-serial&highlight=Aisin+serial+valve+body

You didn't mention any transmission fluid change. It might not have a code, but it should be done as part of maintenance and it is normally not part of the scheduled maintenance from the dealership. Did you ever change the PCV? Or do you hear any whine/whistling if you open the oil cap or lift the dipstick while the engine is running?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the 200k+ mile club.
Thanks! I Love my XC90!

The one part you did not mention is replacing the fuel pressure sensor, but you have done all the other fuel system parts. The sensor can go bad between anywhere around 60-150k miles on any P2 Volvo, so if yours is original, you got extended life out of it. It's probably the cheapest part you could change related to your running issues. I talk a little about how to change it in the 3.2 in the About the 3.2 link in my signature.
I did replace it, forgot to mention it, though if memory serves, I replaced it with the cheaper option, not the Bosch. I purchased a Bosch Fuel pressure sensor this evening, hopefully it'll be here by Tuesday.

I cleared the codes. I took it out for a drive this evening, about 90 miles, it was only 102 this evening, so it wasn't too hot. I didn't have any notable surging, but my CEL came on, only gave the two cat bank errors;

The vehicle speed signal and TCM engine speed output could be connected because they are processed through the ECM. I believe it could be the cankshaft sensor because I've seen the exact issue in several other cars (not Volvo) and this would coincide with the harsh running when hot after driving a while. I wish you had VIDA because it would be more specific. The vehicle speed is generated through the BCM and is also used by the TCM to adjust rpms when shifting. Perhaps someone who has this type of issue specific to the XC90 could help.
Is this the speed sensor on the front hubs?

If your transmission has been shifting fine for the past 200k miles, then your valve body is probably fine. Here is more info on the valve body issue and transmission range: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...r-by-serial&highlight=Aisin+serial+valve+body

You didn't mention any transmission fluid change. It might not have a code, but it should be done as part of maintenance and it is normally not part of the scheduled maintenance from the dealership. Did you ever change the PCV? Or do you hear any whine/whistling if you open the oil cap or lift the dipstick while the engine is running?
Yeah, shifts fine, get a shudder once and a great while when shifting into reverse, but it's fairly rare.
I have not done a transmission fluid change, nor have I changed the PCV. I have not noticed whistling when cap or dipstick is opened, I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,856 Posts
Not sure that will make much of a difference, but would be awesome cheap fix if so!
You need to find someone with VIDA in your area and see on the fly while experiencing it. Several graphs and readings that can be mapped, recorded.
I discovered my FPS on the s60 was the issue after mapping fuel pressure (it was like a Richter scale).
I did replace it, forgot to mention it, though if memory serves, I replaced it with the cheaper option, not the Bosch. I purchased a Bosch Fuel pressure sensor this evening, hopefully it'll be here by Tuesday.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,298 Posts
Thanks! I Love my XC90!

I cleared the codes. I took it out for a drive this evening, about 90 miles, it was only 102 this evening, so it wasn't too hot. I didn't have any notable surging, but my CEL came on, only gave the two cat bank errors;

Is this the speed sensor on the front hubs?

Yeah, shifts fine, get a shudder once and a great while when shifting into reverse, but it's fairly rare.
I have not done a transmission fluid change, nor have I changed the PCV. I have not noticed whistling when cap or dipstick is opened, I'll check tomorrow.
The sensor in each of the hubs is another type of speed (impulse) sensor for the ABS, which affects Traction Control. This could be another sensor issue, but hopefully, VIDA can be more specific if the code pops up again.

If both banks have low efficiency after clearing the codes, then there could a sensor that is off. Like what ZZZZZZZ said about his experience with the fuel pressure sensor. It might not throw a code, but a sensor could still be off. Let's see if your new Bosch sensor will fix it. If you have done any work recently, double-check all the intake boots are tight and not leaking too.

Once this is figured out, I would still do a transmission fluid change, just don't do it with the fluid exchange machine that forces fluid through (used in mechanic shops). The drain/fill and using a tube through the transmission cooler are the best methods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Currently waiting for the fuel pressure sensor and a crankcase position sensor, FPS should be here Monday and CPS should be here Tuesday. DICE unit says has shipped last week, but the tracking still says post office has not received it, so here's hoping it gets here sometime this coming week. I'll update Monday.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car (08 s80 3.2) has almost same problems with yours recently.
It might be helpful if we monitor each other's posts.
I'll update when there is a progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure about the transmission, how do I tell?

220k miles on the vehicle, has had the oil & filter changed every 4k miles, all scheduled maintenances done at dealership; Work I have done, Fuel pump, sending unit and fuel filter replaced and fuel tank cleaned out 60k miles ago, new AC compressor, water pump, power steering pump, tensioner pulley idler pulley, and serpentine belt 55k miles ago. A/C blower motor and resistor replaced 50k miles ago. Ball joints, control arms and bushings, sway bar arms replaced 20k miles ago. Front struts, bushings, washers, all related parts except springs replaced 10k miles ago. I also just noticed today that my passenger side axle boot is shredded and there is a bit of play in the fairly dry joint, I guess I'll be ordering one of those and replacing it this next week as well.

CEL is on, I just went and had the codes run for me, quite a few! Hopefully this will give us an idea of what's going on. I ordered and am waiting for shipping on a DICE unit, but hoping I can resolve this before it finally shows up on July 31.

Here are the Codes that came up and notes given.

ECM-P030500 Cyl 5 misfire detected
ECM-P030600 Cyl 6 misfire detected
ECM-P030000 Random misfire detected
ECM-P064D68 Internal Control Module 02Sensor Processor Performance (Bank 1)
ECM-P008800 Fuel rail/System Pressure Too High
ECM-P193400 Vehicle Speed Signal
ECM-P073768 TCM Engine Speed Output Circuit Algorithm Based Failure
For the code ECM-P073768 TCM Engine Speed Output Circuit Algorithm Based Failure do you have any idea what could be causing this

1 - 11 of 11 Posts