SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this car mainly due to the fact that literally all of the service work was done at a local dealership that is known to do excellent work, Rickenbaugh Volvo. It has roughly 162k on the clock and is my wife's car. We bought it at 121k and overall it's in great shape. I do 95% of the maintenance on it. There is now an issue that has me completely stumped. At start up sitting in the garage when left overnight, it will run rough backing out of the garage. Going up the street it has a slight bit of hesitation and then once you get on the road, it's fine. It has a check engine light. After pulling codes and checking this site for fixes other than obvious issues, I replaced the front O2 sensor and MAF sensor and the fuel rail sensor because all of the codes indicated these issues: bank 1 lean, etc.. I've checked and rechecked for leaky hoses from the air box to the turbo. I also replaced the gas cap gasket too with an oem version. All of the hoses look as if they're brand new, nothing cracked or broken. I replaced the turbo hose at the radiator and the small one just above the turbo due to them being worn out. My wife said that it has stalled on her a few times- which first led me to believe it was the MAF sensor because my 850 did the same thing plus the codes indicated such. I began to think that one issue was being masked by all the rest because each had a code. After replacing all of these items, it still runs exactly the same at start up. Once you get it down the road a mile or so everything including idle is fine. It still has the check engine light and the same codes.

Any ideas? I am completely baffled. A friend suggested I have the dealer perform a diagnostic on it. My wife wants me to be absolutely certain I don't know before they get it. She doesn't trust dealers. I'd be taking it to McDonald Volvo in Denver. I'm betting it's something stupidly simple. Normally I can diagnose it on the first shot but this time I'm feeling pretty incompetent.

Please help if you know....
Thank you so much in advance!
Rick

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have an 04 xc... And I had multiple issues similar to that. One issue I noticed getting the same codes before.

1- charge and air pipes(air inlet, intake, intercooler and at turbo) ... If it stalls or hesitant on acceleration... My old pipes literally popped off one day, only under high load I noticed it. Did on the freeway. Check that the pipe is still seated. Updated pipes with ipd silicone.

2-clean intake, air filter, throttle body

3- tcv (turbo control valve) where the 3 vacuum tubes connect on the side of the air box. I get this issue every other time when doing maintenance, if I move it around, or it's loose (I have aftermarket) the hoses will twist, loosening the elbows, and I get those same codes produced by a vacuum leak. You may just need a new tcv too.

4- timing belt +pulley may affect idle. I had a variable idle before, couldn't find the issue. After doing my timing and pulley, she purrs like a kitten.

5- top engine mounts can affect the response and throttle of there is to much movement.

6- if after cleaning the maf it does the same thing you can try swapping it. I've never had maf. Just false positives due to vacuum leaks from the ote/charge pipe or three vacuum hoses.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, have you done your pcv? Could be clogged causing breathing issues.
Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Any white smoke from exhaust on start up? What about coolant loss? Hopefully neither of those. TCV sounds likely to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not a solution but maybe another data point for diagnosis:
If you let vehicle idle for 5 minutes in garage and then drive does it still have the symptoms?

·
Registered
72 Posts
What were the codes? If they were cleared, what are they now?
Spark plugs? Coils? Both common problems. Coils may be temperature sensitive.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
+1 on the pcv. It could also be a dying PEM but likely something simple.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Failing engine coolant temp sensor?

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Does the radiator fan run just after startup?
Outside air temp sensor could also be a possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts