SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a heavy dose of metal clunking, from what I feel is a mismatched downshift-timing. The car does not like it when trying to find a passing gear.

Anyone have this issue?

So far I have found a loose upper motor mount which may be contributing to the problem.

The car is new to me so I am hoping to find some leads.
Thanks
Kirk

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, just found some posts about the Valve which is being replaced this week.
This car should lay low until it's replaced.

Hopefully no permanent damage..

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
The serial number on your transmission will tell you whether your valve body is to blame...

TNN43-53-2006-12-21 Title: Auto Trans - TF80-SC Diagnostic Information Summary - Valve Body Replacement.
This document summarizes customer complaints related to the 6 speed Automatic Transmission (TF80-SC) and should be used together with the information in VIDA.

The Valve Body should be replaced to address the following symptoms:
1. Customer complaints about 2-3 upshift quality. The shift may be described as harsh, or as a shudder. The symptom is usually more apparent during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
2. Customer complaints of shudder when slowing down, just before coming to a stop. The symptom may also be described as a harsh downshift just before coming to a stop.
3. Neutral condition in 4th, 5th & 6th gear; normal behavior in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Reverse. One or more of the following DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) may be present: P073400, P073500, P072900, P089600.
4. Neutral condition in all gears except 5th & Reverse, usually with DTC P273300 set. DTCs for gear ratio(s) may also be set such as P073000, P073100, P073200, or P073400.
Note: Transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later already have the latest valve body which is designed to prevent these symptoms.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Even if you are not in the recall if you are getting harsh shifting esp 3 to 2 to 1 down shift a trans flush will help for a while but a Valve Body upgrade/refresh is the way to go. I had mine done recently and it made a BIG difference

This is the kit that was installed and then Modified by ARD my upcoming HP

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/AWTF80SC.html

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the valve body is being replaced with a genuine Volvo part.
This sounds like the issue.

I don't have much history on the car yet. I should give a call to the dealer to see what recall notices it may need. Regardless, I think it's going to stay in the driveway.

Thanks
Kirk

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In addition to the tranny issue, when it comes to the clunk make sure to check the mount at the bottom of the tranny as well as the top torque mount.
Yes I agree. that will be on the list as well.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Just wondering, did you recently buy this car? Like within the past week?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I did.
I'm still working out some of the unknown issues. So I guess you could say it's been a long test-drive.
I knew of some other interest in the car but I was 1st to call and second to look at it.
Granted it's not a manual, but it the low miles make it a nice find.
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Just to make this searchable for future use...

2006 and 2007 S60R V70R Automatic Geartronic Transmission Aisin Warner TF80SC Valve Body Rebuilt or New Replacement:

Cobra Transmission - New - $783.99
http://cobratransmission.com/tf80sc-valve-body-volvo-305017-1

Ream Man Valve Bodies - Remanufactured - $674.48
http://www.reamman.com/products/149-tf80sc.aspx

Macko Transmission Parts - Rebuilt - $1,273.09
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/P39740-2.html

Before I ordered any of these, I would be absolutely sure to contact the vendor to verify correct fitment for our caRs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
youropeen your name reminded me of this...

Nice...

No dealer. The seller is taking care of me.
hopefully this fixes the issue.
Poly Upper motor mount and transmission mount are ordered.

Looking forward to owning this car...especially if I can tighten up the front end. New struts are order but I'm sceptical it's going to make a dramatic improvement.

Kirk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice...

No dealer. The seller is taking care of me.
hopefully this fixes the issue.
Poly Upper motor mount and transmission mount are ordered.

Looking forward to owning this car...especially if I can tighten up the front end. New struts are order but I'm sceptical it's going to make a dramatic improvement.

Kirk
You should be good to go after the valve body with such low mileage! Only concerns I would have would have is to make sure they use the correct fluid $$$, use the proper pita fluid fill procedure, and you also might have a software update available for the tcm.

Maybe in the future the Seattle area owners can all get together for a GTG and a cruise?!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe in the future the Seattle area owners can all get together for a GTG and a cruise?!
It would be great to meet up with other R owners in the area.
We might get some nice dry days for a cruise.

I'm confident the fix will be done correctly as the small indie-dealer only sells Volvo's, and has 2 bays/lifts for fixes.

I will post some pics when I get things get situated.
And the story behind the car is it was a Theft recover... I believe you need to key to steal this car, right? Something about a girlfriend/stolen car/and an insurance company that settled quickly and held the car for 7 months. Otherwise a clean, low mi, 1 owner R.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts