SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2007 Volvo V70R and it's about time that it needs a timing belt. My parts guy quotted me on a "Continental Elite GTKWP331" Timing belt component kit.

Is there anyone opposed to this kit?

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Contitech belt, buy as kit and it comes with the idler and tensioner.

I got the part numbers from FCP Euro's site, then found the same part numbers and parts on Rock Auto and it was WAY cheaper.

Belt, idler and tensioner were like $99 shipped or so from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car has 71,000 miles on it - would anyone recommend doing the water pump too or am I 100% fine to wait until the next timing belt service (If I was going to do it again at say 120k).

·
Registered
2006 v70r 138k, Sold : 2004 s60r, 1999 s70T5
160 Posts
When I changed my R's belt at 72k, I left the pump alone....I inspected it and it was fine, no leaks. The pumps are pretty well built. Some may differ as you are in there...but that belt will need to be done again in another 60 to 70 k....I would do it then...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I used the OEM timing kit the first time around, and wen't with the Gates racing belt the second time around . . .

I see what you did there.
Please keep us updated as to how the markings are holding up. If it lasts, its brilliant & I think all belts should be non-black.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Check for bearing / shaft play on the water pump, otherwise it's most likely fine at 70k miles. Wait for next time to change it.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I see what you did there.
Please keep us updated as to how the markings are holding up. If it lasts, its brilliant & I think all belts should be non-black.
6,500 miles later it still looks exactly the same. Being non-black will also make it a lot easier to spot any oil contamination down the road as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That blue does look pretty damn attractive. Albeit, I think I'll go OEM on this one and perhaps go aftermarket on the next one. I don't want to risk those idlers piling up on me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts