SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought my first Volvo V70R about a month ago and just finished with the out of province safety so I'm getting ready to start driving it. But, Saskatchewan winters aren't too kind so I started looking around for the block heater and I can't find it. I have to assume that means this caR doesn't have a block heater.

Hypothetically speaking, if it did have a block heater, where is it? And if it legitimately doesn't have one, what are my options?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to the R world!

Have a look behind the Left headlight somewhere for the plug.

If you don't have one, I'd purchase the type that epoxies on to the oil pan from Gregg Distributors. I've used these on my non-R and had no problems with them.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. So there is no factory water heater for these cars? I feel like an antifreeze heater is always better than a pan heater. I had that option on my VW (Will never own another one as long as I have this caR) but ended up putting in a circulating frost heater - fantastic BTW. But I feel like second best is a water heater followed by a pan heater.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Cool. So there is no factory water heater for these cars? I feel like an antifreeze heater is always better than a pan heater. I had that option on my VW (Will never own another one as long as I have this caR) but ended up putting in a circulating frost heater - fantastic BTW. But I feel like second best is a water heater followed by a pan heater.
I was entertaining this idea when I bought my R. There is an OEM kit available in Europe, but not in NA. I think it parts were around $1000- 1200 range, and I think I stopped because software update (not avail at US dealers) would need for proper activation (and using remote on feature). I will look into it again when it's going to be time to buy next car. Very common in cold climate countries, google Webasto.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I bought OEM block heater a couple of months ago use off R.. It bolts to the back. Side of block and heats coolant in block. I have used it a couple times and makes a difference. Coolest thus far -12 deg C. My coolant temp gauge read cold when started but the heater started blowing Luke warm air in just about a minute. I did look up the part number before installing it and it was still available from Volvo and I wanted to say it was less than U$250. If I did not find this one I was going to get some version of the Amazon one to give that a try. Good luck.

·
Registered
758 Posts
i also bought the engine block heater that bolts to the back of the engine from one member here. what papa_kirlo is referring to is the parking heater that uses gasoline from the tank to warm the engine when no electric outlet is available. this much more expensive than the block heater that just plugs in an outlet. last time I checked the block heater was available at Tasca.

·
Registered
11 Posts
... Saskatchewan winters aren't too kind so I started looking around for the block heater and I can't find it...
A fellow Saskatchewan R owner! I had the same issue last winter - I brought up my '04 V70R from the states last fall and realized there was no block heater. Are you in Saskatoon? Have you visited/heard of Streetwise Service? Good bunch of guys there and from what I hear they are the best in town for Volvos. Had a good chat about winter starts and ended up going with the pan heater option. Not too much money or hassle.

Hopefully see you around!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Living in Utah, the engine block heater is needed on my Diesel tractor in the winter. Having played with several, I find the magnetic oil pan heaters are the easiest (but won't work on the alum pan I the R) but also take time to work, ie several hours.

I bet the universal heaters designed to go into a heater or coolant hose by slicing it in half would work real good on the R, as long as you get the right size heater matching the coolant hoses we have.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think i've sold 3 or 4 block heaters on here from cars i've parted.

They look like this, or similar. (This is on a 97 850 M58 awd. but the P2R ones mount in the same location)

·
Registered
758 Posts
I bet the universal heaters designed to go into a heater or coolant hose by slicing it in half would work real good on the R, as long as you get the right size heater matching the coolant hoses we have.
I guess you would install this on the lower radiator hose near the bottom of the radiator. The purpose being to have the heated coolant rising up and creating a coolant circulation by convection effect. But would it work if the thermostat in close position prevents the coolant to circulate freely in the engine?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
i also bought the engine block heater that bolts to the back of the engine from one member here. what papa_kirlo is referring to is the parking heater that uses gasoline from the tank to warm the engine when no electric outlet is available. this much more expensive than the block heater that just plugs in an outlet. last time I checked the block heater was available at Tasca.
Oh. Got it. The gas fired heater that is most likely in one of the fender wells. These do need software, fuel hardware, and I believe only some EU market vehicle got this option. Nice option when you can program it. Might have to buy a Volvo from Sweden with this option. Hmmm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A fellow Saskatchewan R owner! I had the same issue last winter - I brought up my '04 V70R from the states last fall and realized there was no block heater. Are you in Saskatoon? Have you visited/heard of Streetwise Service? Good bunch of guys there and from what I hear they are the best in town for Volvos. Had a good chat about winter starts and ended up going with the pan heater option. Not too much money or hassle.

Hopefully see you around!
Good sir! I've only had my eyes on (2) V70R's in Saskatoon one of which had to be yours. I actually told your (wife? - if it was your car) that she had a really cool car and seriously was going to ask her if it was for sale haha. It was a couple of months back in the CO-OP parking lot on 8th.

Anyway - Back on track here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The oem one bolts to the back of the block and keeps it warm that way.

I've thought about trying the easier way of applying one of these to the back of the oil cooler, which would warm both the oil and the pan and convect up to the block via the water passageways.

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-24150-Watt-Universal-Heater/dp/B000I8TQD6
I think I might do this as a temporary option and see if I can drill through VIDA and see what they had for OEM block heaters and see if I can find a circulating one that has some kind of diagram (most likely discontinued). Perhaps that would be enough information for me to draw some kind of a bolt up style circulating heater like the frost heater for the VW. Probably just needs to be a quality heater then some custom hoses and a custom bracket. If I go the custom route, I'll probably model it in Inventor and see what it would cost to build the hoses and and bracket.

·
Registered
485 Posts
http://volvopartslisle.com/search/?q=engine+block+heater

http://www.volvopartswarehouse.com/...ctric-engine-heater-5CYL-CA--US/GR-75029.html

FYI... Tasca, Lisle, some others say no, at least one says yes... Part # 30780413

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I'm a reactive person and winter is just around the corner, I'm reviving this thread.

I'm going to attempt to mount a circulating block heater this weekend and maybe plumb it. I plan on splicing into the heater hose that connects between the head and the heater core.

Does anyone know the direction of flow? Does coolant flow from the head (side of the head - by the air cleaner) and into the heater core or visa versa.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does anyone have an updated link for the Oiler Cooler/Coolant block heater? The kind that bolts to the back of the oil pan and hooks into the coolant lines?

Thanks in advance

1 - 18 of 18 Posts