SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Car: 2007 Volvo V70R. I believe it has the premium sound package (two door speakers at each door and front centre speaker). There is no Sat/Nav, TV, or cellphone options in the car with the original HU-850.

I have replaced my HU-850 with a BLP-840 (I can hear your eyes rolling) ... but my question is universal. I have poor FM reception and no AM reception. I read the antenna sticky but I am still trying to figure out how to troubleshoot the Volvo antenna system or, more truthfully, understand where and what is in this car and how it works.

Lay of The Land
2007 V70R Antenna and stereo layout. Does the V70R use two antennas like the S60R? In this diagram the S60 and V70 body styles are combined. I get the impression that because I selected V70 that I might only use the antenna cable and booster labelled "1", 4 as the "1" has been emphasized. This would be the window antenna. Does the V70 use the bumper antenna (2, 3) or is that for S60 only?
2007 V70R Antenna.jpg

If the V70 has the bumper antenna, how do you access it? Is it in the spare wheel area or under the bumper liner? I have read posts that hint at a bit of both. Antenna is in the liner and the booster is accessed from cabin or the wheel well... bit fuzzy there. Also, if there are any pointers on how to get at the rear window antenna booster, I would appreciate it. Meaning some detail, place interior tool "here" first pry in this direction etc. I really do not want to damage any tabs or original components and interior trim has not been a strong point for me in the past... ;)

Magic Boxes
Is this diagram for TV and GPS enabled cars only? Are there more components in the North America analog radio only antenna chain than in the top diagram? Such as the box that connector '5' attaches to. Connector '5' is ladled as "For connecting TV receiver to left and right antenna amplifier."
2007 V70R Antenna Detail.jpg

Adapter Decapitator
My Volvo antenna connector to the back of the HU-850 has two wires. My antenna adapter to my new Head Unit (HU) has only one. The first diagram included with my first question shows two wires from the booster to the HU. One or both of these wires need to supply phantom power to the antenna amp, right? At least that makes sense to me as the booster needs power, and this concept is reiterated in the antenna sticky "FM Modulators and Antennas". The antenna adapter with my new HU only has one conductor insulator pair to the back of the head unit.
Is this part of my problem possibly, that my adapter is not connecting both cables to the head unit in this adapter?
I assume it is possible the HU may not be supplying phantom power to the booster and this would cause poor reception; how would I test this, multi-meter between conductor and shield?
Do I need to bypass the booster and connect the antenna to the HU directly?
Why does the antenna booster need a pair of coax; What do each of the cables do?

Also, if all of these questions are redundant and I need to follow some other course of action that doesn't include another HU (lol) I am open to suggestions.

Thank you Swedespeed community!

·
Registered
16,847 Posts
You mean S60, right?
Your V70R will have the antenna in the passenger rear cargo glass.
Also - congrats on having one of the 345. The last year is the best!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, S60, thank you. I will make the change to my post.

There are only 345 or these wagons? This is a beautiful car with 6 speed manual and a beautiful orange leather interior.

My question is a bit more related to the antenna wiring than the actual antenna but I do appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
16,847 Posts
345 of the 07 Vr AND manual with atacama? You win. I quickly read your posts and see what you’re trying but I can’t answer. Good questions and ideas though. Keep posting and reaching out and the natives will respond. Exocet, ScottishBrick, others will have this knowledge you seek.

Post some pictures or it’s a Camry to us. Would love to see it. Where on the planet is your locale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts