SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive pulled this code a couple of times on my 07' SR M66 and ive had it at the dealer and the first diagnosis was that the catalytic converter is bad, and two the LDP Pump is bad.. The only problem is that my car has a 3" IPD down pipe with the catalytic converter delete installed. And I dont think the LDP even has anything to do with the catalytic converter?? This light has come on about 3 times now i think.. roughtly 400-500 miles between each time..

Any ideas why im throwing this code?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Its a catalyst efficiency below threshold code. You dont have a cat in your downpipe. How dont you understand why this code keeps coming?
Proper way would be to disable catalyst diagnostics via ECM calibration

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a catalyst efficiency below threshold code. You dont have a cat in your downpipe. How dont you understand why this code keeps coming?
Well in theory of course it does make sense why its coming one, but I guess what I dont understand is why it didnt used to come on and now all of a sudden it is. Ive heard theres a way to trick the rear O2 sensor so that it doesnt come on which I believe the PO did. This down pipe has been on the car for A LONG time without tripping the CEL every few hundred miles.. for some reason now something must have changes so that it comes on regularly.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I think that when he says this: "The only problem is that my car has a 3" IPD down pipe with the catalytic converter delete installed.", what he means is that he has an oxygen sensor extender installed in an IPD downpipe (which still has a catalytic converter).

Perhaps he can confirm whether or not he still has a catalytic converter, and if so whether he has a straight or a 90 degree extender installed.

This code may be popping up now because he has a short straight extender installed and the catalytic converter has degraded to the point where the extender is no longer sufficient to prevent the code. In which case, he could try a 90 degree extender. He could also try running a tank of catalytic converter cleaner to see if that brings the catalytic converter back into spec.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
iPd does not sell a catless dp. So did you have the cat removed?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the previous owner, back when this IPD downpipe was installed they did sell a catless downpipe. Now-a-days they do not. It has been on the car since July of 2008 when the car only had 10,300 Miles. Im not sure how to tell if the car has a straight or a 90 degree extender installed. Ive been under the car and it certainly doesn't look like there is a cat on the DP. There is a slightly thickened section of pipe where the PO had to have it lengthened by 2" but there definitely appears to be no cat on the DP. Heres a picture of the underside of the car where you can see that there is no cat installed..

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Take a picture of the rear o2 sensor.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
i just got this code on my 07 but i have stock exhaust...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
It looks like there is a catalytic converter installed.

Look for a sensor plugged into the downpipe between the catalytic converter and the flange that connects to the rest of the exhaust system.

If you have an extender/spacer installed, it will probably either look similar to one of the two shown below. The first is a straight extender and the second is an angled extender.

Straight:

Angled:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Look for a sensor plugged into the downpipe between the catalytic converter and the flange that connects to the rest of the exhaust system.

If you have an extender/spacer installed, it will probably either look similar to one of the two shown below. The first is a straight extender and the second is an angled extender.

Straight:

Angled:

That looks like an awfully small CAT compared to the stock Cat & DP that the PO gave me when I bought the car. I always thought that thickened section was where the pipe was extended 2". If that is for sure the CAT then I guess I probably do need to replace it? Maybe Ill just through the stock cat & DP on. That cat only has 10K on it since new.

Last time I was under the car I remember the rear O2 sensor between the "cat" and the flange was sticking out of the pipe at an angle, and not directly perpendicular to the pipe.. It did look pretty long. So with the extender it just takes the O2 sensor out of the direct path of exhaust fumes? Just trying to understand how the extender works..

Also this code just came back yesterday after only 150 miles of driving this time. It seems to be coming on more consistently now..

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
It's a racing high flow cat, that's why it is so small. You really need to take a picture of the rear O2 sensor for everyone to help you out. The bung for the O2 sensor could be welded at 45 degrees which means your O2 sensor comes off at an angle naturally. This doesn't necessarily mean you have a spacer now and you should have one with a high flow cat.

From what I understand, the racing cats are not only ineffective but also short lived. This would explain why after 10k miles, you only now are getting codes. A regular cat would last much much longer than that.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a racing high flow cat, that's why it is so small. You really need to take a picture of the rear O2 sensor for everyone to help you out. The bung for the O2 sensor could be welded at 45 degrees which means your O2 sensor comes off at an angle naturally. This doesn't necessarily mean you have a spacer now and you should have one with a high flow cat.

From what I understand, the racing cats are not only ineffective but also short lived. This would explain why after 10k miles, you only now are getting codes. A regular cat would last much much longer than that.
Ok, Ill try to crawl under there and take picture of the O2 sensor and post it. And when I said there's only 10K on the cat I meant the original stock cat that is sitting on a shelf in my garage only has 10K on it. The racing high flow cat that is installed on the car has over 100K on it since it was installed when the car was less than a year old. Maybe its time to kick it to the curb and go back to stock..

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Ok, Ill try to crawl under there and take picture of the O2 sensor and post it. And when I said there's only 10K on the cat I meant the original stock cat that is sitting on a shelf in my garage only has 10K on it. The racing high flow cat that is installed on the car has over 100K on it since it was installed when the car was less than a year old. Maybe its time to kick it to the curb and go back to stock..
or get it cut out and pipe welded in and then get a spacer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Search the interwebs- Cats deletes deliver little (a couple HP) to no power over "JDM racing pipe Yo!", you have an expensive high flow cat, and having a cat-less car really stinks to live with- never mind the planet or the legality issue.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Search the interwebs- Cats deletes deliver little (a couple HP) to no power over "JDM racing pipe Yo!", you have an expensive high flow cat, and having a cat-less car really stinks to live with- never mind the planet or the legality issue.
I have no interest in cutting it out completely. I would just put the stock one back on.. In all reality, I don't really care what happens down there as long as the car runs as it should and the stupid CEL would quite coming on! haha

·
Registered
829 Posts
Not a whole lot of help, but if you decide to put the original downpipe back on and want to sell the IPD downpipe that is on the car, let me know and we can work something out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a whole lot of help, but if you decide to put the original downpipe back on and want to sell the IPD downpipe that is on the car, let me know and we can work something out.
If I can conclude that this high flow cat is in fact no good, I will EVENTUALLY put on the original DP & Cat and if that takes care of the issue and I don't see the CEL anymore I will most likely have a 3" IPD downpipe available for sale and you will be first on the list! Ill keep you posted. It might be a while until I get to it as Im a pretty busy guy.. Not sure if you're in any kind of a hurry. PM me and let me know how much you're willing to pay for it. If I like the price enough, maybe Ill shuffle some things around and get to it quicker!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Straight:

Angled:

One more thing.. If in fact that thickened section is a catalytic converter, shouldn't the O2 Sensor be plugged directly into it, rather than after it in the pipe itself? My stock DP & Cat has the threaded port coming directly out of the Cat, as does the new High Performance IPD Cat's available on their website.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
No need to cut the cat out. It's not hurting anything staying in there as long as it doesn't fall apart and clog the downpipe (which I think is pretty rare to happen). Just get a spacer if you don't have one, that will for sure keep the CEL away. I wouldn't recommend going back to stock because it really does choke the engine and hurt spool up time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No need to cut the cat out. It's not hurting anything staying in there as long as it doesn't fall apart and clog the downpipe (which I think is pretty rare to happen). Just get a spacer if you don't have one, that will for sure keep the CEL away. I wouldn't recommend going back to stock because it really does choke the engine and hurt spool up time.
Interesting.. what if I check and I already have the spacer? How would I get the CEL to quite poppin.. Like I mentioned in my original post, the dealer once told me that my LDP pump is bad.. would that have any connection to triggering this Fault Code?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts