SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off this is my second Volvo, I also own a 2005 S40 T5 which my college aged daughter now drives.
I just picked up this car about a month ago. It has 95K miles. I got a low oil light so I changed the oil and went with 5W30 synthetic about a week ago. Since then my Low Oil Level light has come on twice. So today I got under the car thinking I left something loose and noticed oil on the passenger side of the oil pan. I am guessing the PCV valve is clogged causing the oil to leak. Where is it located and other then the valve what parts should I be looking to buy? I can not find anything regarding the location of the PCV valve.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Pcv valve is on the rear valve cover.

It is the black round thing in the middle of the picture. Unlike most other volvos, the v8 does not have a flame trap/catch can pcv system. It's just the valve and the hose that links it to the intake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that is simple enough to find. I guess it helps when it is pointed out to you. Any idea on where my oil could be coming from I plan on removing the front passenger wheel and inner fender to get a good look today when I get off of work. How can I test the PCV Valve?

·
Registered
244 Posts
One way you can test the pcv valve is to take off the oil fill cap while the engine is running and stretch a rubber glove over the opening. If the glove inflates the valve is stuck. In fact if the valve is good, just taking the cap off, you'll hear the idle change slightly and even feel the cap being sucked in slightly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The PCV valve let air pass both ways. Taking the passenger wheel and inner fender off looks like my oil is coming from the rear facing valve cover gasket and of course the hose going to the PCV valve was brittle so I broke that. I ordered the PCV valve,hose and both front and rear or left and right valve cover gaskets, plenum gaskets. So my maintenance will be done for awhile I hope. Put new plugs in shortly after I got it and changed all the air filters up to and including cabin filter. So if anyone is in Kansas and wants something to do when I get in the parts hit me up. Thanks for the help guys.
Also any suggestions, cautions or even directions would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Anyone able to provide me with the torgue specs?
If you download and install VIDA from your favorite torrent site, you will find all the official Volvo procedures including torque specs etc...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I visited my favorite site and can get it to run but it will not let me open any of the repair pages.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I visited my favorite site and can get it to run but it will not let me open any of the repair pages.
Can you specify exactly what you're clicking on and what is failing? I'll try to help... does the search function work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got VIDA up and running and I have got all my parts ordered and am awaiting their arrival, I won;t be able to tackle this project until Saturday. My goal is to take plenty of pictures and do a how to write up including lessons learned. Maybe I can save the next person some hassle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts