SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 s80 v8 awd with 103, 000 miles that I acquired from an independent dealer 3 weeks ago. The first couple of days I had the car it was shifting really crazy. Lots of hard downshifts and a few not so smooth upshifts, but no slippage. I stopped at the local Volvo dealer and told them what the car was doing and they told me it was completely normal and that it would smooth out the shifts as it "adapted to my driving style". I had never heard of this before and was a bit skeptical. However, I did not purchase the car from this dealer and he had no reason to lie to me. I must say after 2 more weeks of driving (about 500 miles) the shifts have smoothed out considerably. Has anyone else ever had this experience after the purchase of a used s80? Is the dealer crazy or is this really how the car should behave? Thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also mention I am aware of the valve body issues present in the early 2007 transmissions, but according to the serial number tag on the tranny, it has the newer valve body.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If it's getting better, just keep driving it. If it's not slipping in-gear, and it's not flaring on upshifts and then banging into gear, then nothing physically is wrong.

It could also be your torque mounts on the motor and/or transmission are shot. This adds drivetrain slack and can make normal shifts feel jerky.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! I really love this car, but the weird downshifts have had me concerned. Do you know if these cars really do take time to adapt to different drivers? Have you ever experienced any weird downshifts in your s80? Such as a slight bump feeling when coasting to a stop or a hard downshift when accelerating hard (kickdown)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My previous vehicle was a 2001 Ford Explorer so I'm guessing its also taking time for me to adjust to a much different vehicle.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I really love this car, but the weird downshifts have had me concerned. Do you know if these cars really do take time to adapt to different drivers? Have you ever experienced any weird downshifts in your s80? Such as a slight bump feeling when coasting to a stop or a hard downshift when accelerating hard (kickdown)?
Mine will sometimes take it's dear sweet time shifting from 2 to 1 when coming to a stop (or nearly a stop), such that if you quickly get back on the gas sometimes it jerks into 1st. Just the nature of the shift programming. In manual mode it's easy to make that last downshift happen a little earlier avoiding the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine will sometimes take it's dear sweet time shifting from 2 to 1 when coming to a stop (or nearly a stop), such that if you quickly get back on the gas sometimes it jerks into 1st. Just the nature of the shift programming. In manual mode it's easy to make that last downshift happen a little earlier avoiding the problem.
I've been reading through the threads and I'm begining to think volvos just have very "jerky" shifting. A friend of mine says his 2013 MB E350 does the same kind of things. It seems like the newer 6-8 speed automatic gearboxes with electronic shifting are just a new and different animal?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I've been reading through the threads and I'm begining to think volvos just have very "jerky" shifting. A friend of mine says his 2013 MB E350 does the same kind of things. It seems like the newer 6-8 speed automatic gearboxes with electronic shifting are just a new and different animal?
The 6 speed gearboxes, especially when mated to the V8, keep the torque converter locked up pretty much 100% of the time in 2nd through 6th gears, so you will feel the shift because it happens so fast and there isn't a "slushbox" to absorb the forces from the sudden change in RPM. That force then gets sent through the drivetrain and the engine/transmission torque mounts instead. That's why bad mounts can make it feel a lot worse.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Mine does exactly that!http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHTSA_2007_VOLVO_S80_technical_service_bulletin_145668.html I've found some info on a TCM update for the 2007 as well. I wonder if the previous owner ever had this done. Did yours ever get this update?
My '07 had an "in service date" of 11-2006 which is many months after that TSB, so I would expect that my car got it at some point? Unless it's something they only apply for "complaints". But I thought dealers were routinely updating all software, and my car was dealer serviced many many times since then.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The S80 3.2 I just got last week does the same thing. Been attributing it to the cold weather. Hopefully it will go away when the computer gets used to my driving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The S80 3.2 I just got last week does the same thing. Been attributing it to the cold weather. Hopefully it will go away when the computer gets used to my driving.
I hope mine smooths out more. It has improved over the first 3 weeks of having the car. Downshifts are not as harsh. Dealer said everything os normal, but I've never had a car shift like this so I'm a bit skeptical. Hopefully its only a software issue.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Sluggish transmission I think is normal when it's very cold. But that should clear up after a few minutes of driving.
At least on my V8 I know when it's cold because it won't lock up the torque converter AT ALL until it warms up sufficiently, at which point the TC stays locked nearly all the time as normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How is your transmission doing? How are you liking the car overall? I still get some rough shifting. Going to try some drain and fills and see if that helps. Hopefully its not something that is going to snowball into a bigger problem. I love the car otherwise.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
How is your transmission doing? How are you liking the car overall? I still get some rough shifting. Going to try some drain and fills and see if that helps. Hopefully its not something that is going to snowball into a bigger problem. I love the car otherwise.
If you are set on changing your transmission fluid, please at least do it the right way, as specified by Volvo (in VIDA).
It's not a simple drain+fill. There is also a fluid counter to reset once you get the fresh fluid in. You also need to measure the temperature of the fluid during the change to make sure the fluid level is set correctly. (Simply measuring the amount drained to determine amount to add is a flawed method in that it assumes you have the correct amount to begin with. What if some leaked out over time? What if a previous owner messed up the level?)
Basically, if you don't have VIDA and DICE, just have a dealer do it properly.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hey Patsfan.

Are you the one that bought the AWD S80 V8 from Best Deal Auto in Fort Wayne? Sorry to hear about the 'possible' shifting issue. This is why I steered clear of the 07's, just to be on the safe side. I couldn't endure another TF-80SC failure like the one I put myself through with our XC90.

I hope it doesn't turn into anything worse for you man. Best of luck.

Gregg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If you are set on changing your transmission fluid, please at least do it the right way, as specified by Volvo (in VIDA).
It's not a simple drain+fill. There is also a fluid counter to reset once you get the fresh fluid in. You also need to measure the temperature of the fluid during the change to make sure the fluid level is set correctly. (Simply measuring the amount drained to determine amount to add is a flawed method in that it assumes you have the correct amount to begin with. What if some leaked out over time? What if a previous owner messed up the level?)
Agreed. Talked to my mechanic today and he actually recommended against the drain and fill method. He said you have to pump it thru and monitor the temp or some such business. Said it would take 16 quarts to complete an exchange. It bothers me that this tranny doesn't have a dipstick. Way to complecated to check the level. I wonder why the Volvo engineers would have ever thought it would be a good idea to not be able to check the fluid while on a trip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey Patsfan.

Are you the one that bought the AWD S80 V8 from Best Deal Auto in Fort Wayne? Sorry to hear about the 'possible' shifting issue. This is why I steered clear of the 07's, just to be on the safe side. I couldn't endure another TF-80SC failure like the one I put myself through with our XC90.

I hope it doesn't turn into anything worse for you man. Best of luck.

Gregg
Yep, that's me. Thanks! I'm hoping its nothing serious. Doesn't your MY2010 have the same AWTF-80 SC Transmission?

·
Registered
171 Posts
You are absolutely correct!The trans fluid can be the reason of the rough downshifting.With the reset,the car will learn your driving style.I had the luck of haveing simillar driving style as the previous owner,so no reset needed for me after trans fluid change.
Be sure to fill it with volvo recomended oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts