SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on why it sometimes takes as long as 5 -10 minutes for the AC to start blowing cold? Once it does it's wonderful but for those few agonizing minutes down here in Tapa it's more than uncomfortable... Ralph

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Any thoughts on why it sometimes takes as long as 5 -10 minutes for the AC to start blowing cold? Once it does it's wonderful but for those few agonizing minutes down here in Tapa it's more than uncomfortable... Ralph
Could be any number of problems... any chance you have access to VIDA/DICE to monitor the AC compressor clutch status and pressure in the system? Any weird noises?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have access to a desktop version of VIDA, I was just hoping someone else had experienced the exact same thing. I'll have my mechanic check the system out, thanks! Ralph

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im pretty certain I read that the compressor clutch is the weak link.

FWIW, my 2009 with 50k sometimes takes a little while to start cooling. Im already planning for the worst.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our 2007 S80 V8 has an almost identical problem and just hadn't gotten around to starting a thread about it. My issue and direction so far;

We live in Florida, so AC problems are more pronounced and noticeable. Upon startup the AC will not blow cold until I am through our neighborhood's meandering curves and multiple speedbumps or a parking lot or whatever. This is regardless of whether the engine is cold or warm. Once I've merged into traffic that is flowing reasonably well I have plenty of cold air and the AC works properly. If I'm on the interstate or decently moving traffic the AC operates without interruption. However if I wind up stopped at a light or stopped/slowed in traffic the AC stops blowing cold and becomes warm.

Is the V8 clutch different than previous models? We've had an S40 and an S80 (2.5T) and both had the compressor clutch failure issue. There's a ton of info available on these failures. It is a common issue with earlier Volvos and was my first thought. My wife usually drives the car and our indie shop is on the other side of town. So we haven't had a chance to get it in. I did stop by while in the area to see about making an appointment. He doesn't see a lot of V8s, but we discussed the signs and symptoms. He pointed out the differences between my problem and the Volvo clutch issues such as I had experienced in the past. The clutch on older models works on start up and the AC will work properly, but the clutch will randomly stick and the AC will stop working. The AC will remain off until the vehicle is shut down and the clutch becomes unstuck. The AC will work on start up again, until it randomly sticks once again.

My mom's husband thought it could be a low anti-freeze issue. My indie thought it could be an electric fan issue. Basically based on the same concept, engine is not cooling efficiently at slow speeds due to either low coolant or improperly operating fan causing the AC to not work properly while stopped or at low speeds. To me it doesn't explain why it won't function upon startup as well. But the coolant level is good and the fan seems to be running properly, so neither issue seems relevant anyway.

I had the Freon levels checked and they were ok.

Anybody else have any further thoughts, experiences or input? I so don't want to take it to the dealer. My local dealer is small and their answer to everything is "we'll have to replace it". I had a stuck solenoid in my shifter. They would sell me the solenoid for $40 or so, but they wouldn't install it. They would only replace the whole shifter for almost $2K in parts and labor. I did the shifter update myself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, this is interesting because I too live in FL... I talked with my mechanic this AM and he wants to see the car naturally to duplicate the problem and thought aloud that maybe there is a relay or solenoid in front of the clutch? Who knows... Ralph

·
Registered
74 Posts
Keep me posted. I'm going to try and get ours over to our indie back half of next week. I didn't look at your location, I'm in Tampa as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm up in Land O Lakes, let's stay in touch. I'm not going to address my issue for awhile unless it fails completely... Ralph

1 - 9 of 9 Posts