SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2007- S80 adjustable rear control arms

I just purchased 2007 S80 and learned this is much different than my previous 2003 V70. Bad news, took it to alignment shop and they said they couldn't adjust camber front or rear and both needed it. Rear tires were cupped real bad...making so much noise I purchased wheel bearings/hubs before realising it was possible for a tire to sound that bad!

I don't pass on a challenge and there was no way I was going to put new rubber on only to wear it out on the inside, so I said I'd be back after I checked the forums and talk to an independent as well as the dealer. Gosh, it seems there's no fix for the front if you have FourC suspension and the rear has no "service solution" part number to add a degree of camber like the V50, C70. I ordered the part introduced in 2013 to replace mine power dealer and Volvo, but the geometry was identical...Returned those and started on a quest to find adjustable upper control arms. Unless someone can tell me of a solution besides the ipd eccentric bushings that have to be pressed in, I think there's nothing available for us S80 to keep from wearing rear tires out prematurely.

I couldn't wait any longer to get my newly acquired car off Jack stands so I came up with my own solution that has the dealer, independent and alignment shop in awe. I contacted a dealer for automotive castings and a local machine shop and put together fully adjustable arms. I just finished putting them on tonight, so I'll be taking it in again to alignment shop Monday morning and let you know what they think of them to work with while on the car.

Really curious if I over complicated this and overlooked an existing solution...please let me know if that's the case please.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just purchased 2007 S80 and learned this is much different than my previous 2003 V70. Bad news, took it to alignment shop and they said they couldn't adjust camber front or rear and both needed it. Rear tires were cupped real bad...making so much noise I purchased wheel bearings/hubs before realising it was possible for a tire to sound that bad!

I don't pass on a challenge and there was no way I was going to put new rubber on only to wear it out on the inside, so I said I'd be back after I checked the forums and talk to an independent as well as the dealer. Gosh, it seems there's no fix for the front if you have FourC suspension and the rear has no "service solution" part number to add a degree of camber like the V50, C70. I ordered the part introduced in 2013 to replace mine power dealer and Volvo, but the geometry was identical...Returned those and started on a quest to find adjustable upper control arms. Unless someone can tell me of a solution besides the ipd eccentric bushings that have to be pressed in, I think there's nothing available for us S80 to keep from wearing rear tires out prematurely.

I couldn't wait any longer to get my newly acquired car off Jack stands so I came up with my own solution that has the dealer, independent and alignment shop in awe. I contacted a dealer for automotive castings and a local machine shop and put together fully adjustable arms. I just finished putting them on tonight, so I'll be taking it in again to alignment shop Monday morning and let you know what they think of them to work with while on the car.

Really curious if I over complicated this and overlooked an existing solution...please let me know if that's the case please.
Interesting. Keep us informed. Do you have a diagram of your solution for both front and rear? Does this only apply to 4C systems?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Standard springs. I didn't realize I had FourC system until I had to remove the driver side arm and this funny looking device so I could fit my wrench in! Ah! So that's why my shocks have a welded on appendix! The front driver camber was -1 already (pass), passenger front was -2 (fail) so I drilled 3 holes .6" toward the fender and removed the upper strut in them. Took it to the alignment shop to see how far of I was before I slotted the holes, but he said I put it right on the money! -1 so he said do something with the rear and he'd finish the alignment... Let's just say I can't wait for Monday... Oh, when I put my newly created arms on, by eyeballing it I've got the adjusters bottomed out at -2 camber so the alignment shop will just have to add more thread to get wheel to stand up more. I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to go any more negative...right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This solution should work on any 2007-up S80 wearing rear inside tire tread. I don't know if Volvo ever decided to fix this issue or if the problem still remains for all S80 owners. Neither do I know if my 2007 S80 shares this "fixed at -2 camber" issue with other models of Volvo or Ford. If anyone knows this answer please share so I can get someone to try my solution on one of those. (Or is the S80 a one-of-a-kind such that no one has interest in mass producing unique aftermarket parts on such a low volume vehicle?)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should say this car is stock with nothing aftermarket. The shocks and springs look original. I plan on ordering a skid plate from ipd tomorrow however! I was told all 4 wheels were bent so I had them straightened just to stay stock, but I'm having regrets over that decision after seeing some of the other wheels I could have gone with. I bought 2 new continentals from tire rack to replace the rear's extremely cupped tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wonder if the bent wheels and the positive camber are related. Thats about the only excuse i can come up with.

Ive unintentionally added many a degree of positive camber back in my drift days. :OT:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if the bent wheels and the positive camber are related. Thats about the only excuse i can come up with.

Ive unintentionally added many a degree of positive camber back in my drift days. :OT:
Out of curiosity, How many degrees positive would someone drifting want to add?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I don't have or want positive camber, I just want to go from negative 2 degrees to negative 1 degrees. It seemed like a simple task, but adding adjustability that any alignment shop can set took me on a search that turned up nothing. So I now have something on my car that I can go way more negative than stock or way more positive than stock even though all I was looking for is to be at negative 1 degree to keep my rear tires from premature wear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It works! Just left alignment shop. They were impressed with the quality of the part and says that there was a good 20 degrees of adjustment ability in my part. They took my phone number for when for any other s80 vehicles want alignment fixed. They said they would buy my part for $140 their cost and would probably mark it up a bit for their retail customers. Now I'll let the dealer and independent know there's a solution also. If anyone reading this is interested in buying a set I can go back to the machine shop when I've got a couple of orders.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here's picture of the installed part (Google photos link). Forged steel with stainless steel adjustment. What do you think?
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMKxe7wSCX1BWd4s481ofmesrOw-ayeA4at9FEc/photo/AF1QipMsvmoBeD2-NafCf9TD_6VoQKOW4PENUOBrL9DN MY SECRET WEAPON!
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMKxe7wSCX1BWd4s481ofmesrOw-ayeA4at9FEc/photo/AF1QipNYtd0hPJwkzzN8osjmQxzGeuoFP0qhQ8W1YoU4 BEFORE (top of wheel leans inward 2 degrees) picture of random S80 at dealership
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMKxe7wSCX1BWd4s481ofmesrOw-ayeA4at9FEc/photo/AF1QipM53eTV_0o3D4TUi_LwE5ShQKtmVuyxgNBhGvJp AFTER (top of wheel leans inward 0.5 degrees inward) picture of my car with part installed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Positive camber came from curb kissing. Not desirable! Haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
S80 Adjustable Camber

Sounds like a neat solution - I dont see the pictures, but I'm potentially interested in a pair as I have the same excessive negative camber issue on the rear of my s80.

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You should have them in about 10 days. If there were a few more S80 owners interested, I'd be able to get the cost down since machine shop's unit price goes way down for multiple sets. Since you're the 1st one (besides me) to put them on your S80, please give me and others here your honest feedback and let us know how your new tires like them!!! :):)

I'm interested in a pair!

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I'll re-read how to do it properly since my Google/Picassa photos don't seem to be working well here. Purely my fault for not following the forums instructions for compatible picture hosting providers. Look for them to appear here after tomorrow sometime.
Hello,

Can you upload the photos one more time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I'll re-read how to do it properly since my Google/Picassa photos don't seem to be working well here. Purely my fault for not following the forums instructions for compatible picture hosting providers. Look for them to appear here after tomorrow sometime.

Ok, I am waiting for it :).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gone through 2 sets of tires in 40k miles and can't get the alignment dialed in.
So these control arms mount just like stock or is there any other modification need to be done?

Very, very interested

1 - 20 of 24 Posts