SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the changing the 4C suspension settings from Comfort to Sport to Advanced also changes the transmission shift points and ignition timing?

I found this for the V70R, but I can't find anything on the S80. http://www.swedespeed.com/old_site/features/road_tests/r_drive/page2.shtml

Depending upon the chassis setting, the gear change program (Geartronic cars only). If a Geartronic car is placed in either Sport Mode or Manual mode or if either manual or Geartronic cars are in the Advanced Sport chassis mode, throttle response is increased.
Additionally, when Advanced Sport mode is chosen for the chassis, the ignition timing at idle is changed, helping the car maintain a greater torque reserve for improved launch from standstill.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Does anyone know if the changing the 4C suspension settings from Comfort to Sport to Advanced also changes the transmission shift points and ignition timing?

I found this for the V70R, but I can't find anything on the S80. http://www.swedespeed.com/old_site/features/road_tests/r_drive/page2.shtml

Depending upon the chassis setting, the gear change program (Geartronic cars only). If a Geartronic car is placed in either Sport Mode or Manual mode or if either manual or Geartronic cars are in the Advanced Sport chassis mode, throttle response is increased.
Additionally, when Advanced Sport mode is chosen for the chassis, the ignition timing at idle is changed, helping the car maintain a greater torque reserve for improved launch from standstill.
Advanced will give you slightly different throttle mapping but that is pretty much it and nowhere near as aggressive as in the S60R or V70R.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't know that about advanced mode. Though in the manual, what it does say about it is that it should only be used on perfectly flat roads. Is there a particular reason? I'm kind of afraid to use Advanced unless I'm driving on a somewhat fresly paved highway... Though the throttle mapping thing is something I'll have to look in to...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hm? I think the car feels sort of similar. Advanced is to sport what sport is to comfort, except I do think advanced seems to sharpen the throttle mapping a tad. Mapping's a bit less "spongy", though marginally as GrecianVolvo said.

Not sure how the wheels have such an impact as to why advanced is recommended only on very smooth roads.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think the recommendation is just that - a recommendation. Most Volvo owners will not appreciate or utilize the Advanced setting for its intended purpose, so this is Volvo's gentle way of pointing them in the Sport or Comfort direction. Advanced is just for the race track *wink wink*.

In a practical sense, using the Advanced mode regularly on poor roads will probably increase wear & tear on the shocks. Due to the active roll/dive/squat compensation, and the generally firmer settings, the shocks are doing more of the work that would otherwise be done by the springs and sway bars. Large, sharp impacts are going to be harder on the hydraulics.

IMO, you don't need to be on billard table smooth roads to use Advanced, but I don't use it over speed bumps or on terribly broken and frost-heaved pavement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The advance mode just makes it a tad stiffer, nothing to worry about ,
I usually ride in comfort setting
And have my steering set to less resistant , so the car floats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts