SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got the girlfriend a s60r for her birthday and i feel like there is somthing wrong with it. ill jump in take a buddy for a ride in it one day and it feels super fast. the next day ill take it out and it feels slow. just got back from a cruise and i would say 15 minutes into the drive 1st 2nd 3rd gear pull felt amazing. back roads staying out of boost for the most part and then just before we got home i would say 20-25 mins after the last time i really got into the throttle. i did another 2nd 3rd gear pull. this time it felt like a dog. i then let off the throttle and noticed it pulled harder as i let off.. so i tested this buy running 3rd gear up a hill. by feathering the throttle between wot and 1/2 the car would surge and pull like it did at the beginning of the ride. i run 91 oct and the car is bone stock. any suggestions?? im bringing the car back to the dealer on monday just thought maybe i would try a forum for help other than trying to deal with the dealer.

thanks
ben

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Do you get into boost before it gets to normal running temperature?

The most engine wear occurs in the first 10 minutes of driving a cold engine. It's also much faster because the engine is much cooler, but don't be tempted....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it pulls hard sometimes even at temp. its weird. im going to install a boost gauge to see if its running what its supposed to. i suspect tcv... still a guess

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Keep in mind that this car suffers badly from heat soak.
+1 to installing a boost gauge essential in a turbo performance car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea its deff not heat soak that im experiencing. it changes day to day how it reacts. its weird how playing with the throttle makes the car pull harder. a friend even commented when i was doing that that it felt weird. he also has a auto 05. his pulls like an animal compared to my mt 07. i just dont get it. boost gauge will tell me if its falling on boost. i guess other than that the pcm could be pulling timing. will disconnecting the battery erase any long term knock retard saved?? also if i determine that its not running the 14ish psi that it should will a mbc work to reach this?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Before you start throwing a lot of money at it, do some simple checks. Look at the pcv hose, the turbo outlet oring, the intake system clamps and seals, cleaning the maf... these things could all be causing an intermittent loss of boost, which will cause it to not run right. I had a split oring, and it caused the car to run oddly (and finally start dying a few times) before I figured out that it was causing it... it was very intermittent on the boost... replaced it, fixed the entire problem. A loose hose clamp on the intercooler hoses can do the same thing... it could be as simple as tightening them up.

After you go through all that, then start looking at 02 sensor and maf replacement. if you have a vida/dice unit (or access to one) you might look at what is going on in the data stream, and this may point you at something to look at.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts