SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted about this car I bought in another thread after it was damaged before I picked it up: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?602395-How-much-to-fix-this-minor-damage Anyway it was fixed but the bumper isn't aligned properly. Going to have to talk to someone about taking care of that, or there might be a small chance they would just let me back out of the deal. The question is, do I want to? Contacted the previous owner and said he traded it in after suspecting a cracked block. He had the timing belt and water pump replaced but it's still losing coolant. But the thing is, this is the cleanest 6-speed S60R I've found around here. 112,000 miles, factory body kit, super straight body, excellent paint, clean interior, cold A/C. I'll have almost $3,000 in it. Would I be able to get at least that much out of it the way it is? How much is a used engine and how do you know it's any good if this one is cracked with only 112K? How hard to pull the engine? Can it come out the top? Any input welcome. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Looks like that's for a good block, and only the 2.5L, which isn't the R engine.

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
If the block is cracked then it’s done. You would need a new/used block and have it machined for the block guard. It all really depends how much the cars worth to you and what you want to spend. Your probably looking a 1k for the machine work. I’ve never personally pulled one but you can drop the whole assembly out the bottom or just pull the engine up and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
For 3k, try to back out of the deal!
If the block is cracked, the motor is gonna be crap. That said, losing coolant isn't always attributed to a cracked block. Why risk buying into someone's failed repair or project??

And.... Replacing the motor will suck. While i've never done it, I could see needing to pull a lot of stuff off for access. Plus, even after you yank the motor, what are you going to do for a new motor?? Would you really want to put in a used salvage motor with 100k mi plus on it??? That makes no sense. You'd probably want to tear it down and rebuild it, which will cost $$$, then put it in.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Backing out is off the table, they supposedly got the bumper aligned. Will drive it home next week and take a closer look. It's 30 miles but I have AAA.:D Worse comes to worse, I know if I detail it, maybe get it state inspected, I can still make a couple hundred on it back at the auction.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Have you rented a block tester and checked for exhaust gasses in the coolant? Most auto part stores will rent them.

2.4 block would be my choice if its cracked.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
FWIW I found this place https://www.bneshop.com/products/2-5l-max-cool-block-reinforcement just 20 minutes away. Does this repair the cracked block or is it only for undamaged ones?
That's an interesting solution to getting more power out of the readily available 2.5L blocks. Wonder how well it really works? Wonder if they are working on something for the 2.3L and 2.4L blocks? You're obviously into a complete teardown and rebuild. But, if you're looking for more power, you need to go there anyway.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have a 56k R motor with brand new timing belt,water pump, cam seals, rear main seal,SMF and OEM clutch. All brand new. Work done by Ben at Rolling Motors. It is for sale

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
a HAHAHAHAHA....I chased this car from auction to auction and it would always escape me by a day...….SOOOOOOO happy I didn't catch it! Oh this is great...

I have since instituted a NO AUCTION Rs policy! If I can't see and hear it run in person I don't touch it. Even the ****ty PPIs the auction houses do are worthless for these cars.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The R engine is 2.5l
You are correct. For some reason, I thought the Rs were smaller displacement. The T5s were the 2.3/2.4L engines. Anyway, the R and 2.5T models have the same block and crank. But, different heads, pistons, rods, oil pan, and oil pump.

·
Registered
455 Posts
How much is that clean car worth to you?

If the engine is toast it has to come out. And cutting cost (meaning swapping a supposedly +150000 or worse a unknown mileage engine) while sharing that publically on a forum will doom the car….

Start by diagnosing what's actually is causing the coolant loss, then decide what to do next.

But remember, buying a used engine is like a russian roulette, you never know if the stated mileage is correct, how it was used and if it is ok, unless you open it ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts