SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've definitely experienced the rain/sleet/slush squeal a few times over the past year. I just moved to upstate NY so I'm planning for a winter full of snow and slush. I literally don't think I can endure that god forsaken squeal sound too much more before I just rip my exhaust off (I know some of you will probably suggest that I do just that lol), especially since it happens at the worst possible times.

I've done quite a bit of research on this and read about most of the fixes. I was going to just try to look at it and find a way to shim (if I go this route ill try to post some pics here if it works-if there isn't one already). But I really just want to do the JRL mod. Sounds like a pretty cheap way to get some more sound out of the car and fix the squeal problem. Win-win for me. I dont think I've read about many issues that people have had. But I do have a couple of questions for those of you that have done the resonator removal/straight pipe replacement before I go ahead and do that.

My R is mint. Bone stock. Runs like a top (except a broken sway bar link that I'll be replacing with an IPD link this week). I keep up with all the maintenance at the recommended mileage, haven't seen a check engine (or any light for that matter) since I bought it. I keep my engine bay immaculately clean to avoid any **** getting into places it shouldn't. I don't want to start having problems by messing with stuff now. And I'm probably getting long winded with this but I'm anal about my car (as most of you are as well). So:

Has anyone that's done the JRL Mod:

1) thrown any dash lights afterward?
2) had trouble passing inspection (specifically in NY)?
3) any other comments/concerns with the process?

If any of these is an issue I'll probably just have to find a way to shim it and lose out on the sound.

Thanks everyone. (Also, my apologies if there are threads scattered somewhere with this info, but I looked for a while and couldn't find any definitive answers.)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Absolutely legally speaking, most states don't allow any exhaust modification. Will anyone care, most likely not. You wont get any lights or any issues afterward because a resonator is already a straight pipe with (no pun intended) resonators around it. This dampens the sound waves by resonating and canceling the harsh notes out. You wont gain or lose a single HP when you remove it. However, you will make your car slightly lighter and the squeal will no longer bother you. I know people tell you that you'll gain hp, but that is not the case. This is pretty much what's inside of one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
S60 PoweR-

Hey man, thanks a lot for the info and the explanation. I can make my way around most of the more routine repairs but I'm not too much of a mechanic type, so its nice to hear some reasoning behind what you're saying instead of just throwing facts out.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Best way to stop rain squeal is to install a downpipe. Leave the factory stock cat-back exhaust, including center resonator, in place. Remove the center bracket that goes under the exhaust:

it looks like this, and has a couple of 10 mm bolts holding it in place. remove this and re-install the bolts with large washers to hold the heat shield in place.

there is no harm done when the exhaust contracts and bends up into the propshaft -- but it does make a scary noise.

the center bracket however, will bend your propshaft and cost you $thousand$ to replace.

do not remove the resonator .... you will hate yourself if you do.
I completely disagree that the resonator touching the driveshaft has no adverse effects. You're rubbing metal on metal. Not only are you getting the annoying squeal, you also get this on your driveshaft.

As far as hating yourself, you probably mean drone? Which doesn't really happen unless you also remove the muffler.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey pdw,

What would something like that run me? - I've never had exhaust work like that done to any of my past vehicles. My main goal is to stop the squeal without spending too much. So if I've gotta find a way to shim it out or whatnot I'll try that before I spend a couple hundred bucks.
Thanks

Best way to stop rain squeal is to install a downpipe. Leave the factory stock cat-back exhaust, including center resonator, in place. Remove the center bracket that goes under the exhaust:

it looks like this, and has a couple of 10 mm bolts holding it in place. remove this and re-install the bolts with large washers to hold the heat shield in place.

there is no harm done when the exhaust contracts and bends up into the propshaft -- but it does make a scary noise.

the center bracket however, will bend your propshaft and cost you $thousand$ to replace.

do not remove the resonator .... you will hate yourself if you do.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had mine removed at a local shop here in Nor Cal and it cost $50. If they try to charge you over $100 go to a different exhaust shop. And there is no downside, no drone not to loud, just no squealing.,

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The kit doesn't always work, why, I'm not sure.
You will like the JRL mod. It's really not much louder at all, To the untrained ear one would probably not even notice the difference.
You hear it just a tad at idle and just a tad at heavier throttle.
What you do NOT have is a louder cruising noise, no droning etc, and in actuality it sounds like it should have from the factory, just a bit more authority in the exhaust note.
For from between $50 to $100 and 45 minutes of someone's time you can't do a nicer mod to an R

To the other guy, I don't know of any state that prohibits exhaust modification back of the CAT. If it's too loud it may not pass a LOCAL sound ordinance but that's it.
(JRL mod is NOT loud at all)

pdw, you know absolutely nothing and are posting falsehoods
S60poweR, you too fall into that same category

·
Registered
148 Posts
I take multiple 3-4 hour trips (one way) so 6-8 hours in the car, a month and there is NO drone at all. I do these trips with my wife and kid, who have no issues with it (wife didn't even notice when i had it done until i pointed it out). I agree with JRL this is how it should have sounded from the factory and one of the best cheeps mods you can do.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Quick response: Remove the resonator and remove that exhaust bracket up above.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The Volvo Fix Kit did not work for me when I lived in the NY area.....once the snow or rain reaches the under carriage, you are most likely to experience the sound

Just cut out the resonator and add a straight pipe.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey pdw,

What would something like that run me? - I've never had exhaust work like that done to any of my past vehicles. My main goal is to stop the squeal without spending too much. So if I've gotta find a way to shim it out or whatnot I'll try that before I spend a couple hundred bucks.
Thanks
I checked out one of those kits at the dealer when I bought my caR, with tax it was about $250 :eek: Installation extra. I have never heard it myself with all the rain around Seattle, but there are witness marks on the driveshaft. If I ever do hear it, it's JRL mod time for me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You will like the JRL mod. It's really not much louder at all, To the untrained ear one would probably not even notice the difference.
What you do NOT have is a louder cruising noise, no droning etc, and in actuality it sounds like it should have from the factory, just a bit more authority in the exhaust note.
For from between $50 to $100 and 45 minutes of someone's time you can't do a nicer mod to an R

To the other guy, I don't know of any state that prohibits exhaust modification back of the CAT. If it's too loud it may not pass a LOCAL sound ordinance but that's it.

Agree completely with JRL on all accounts. The misinformation is strong on this thread. My stock S60R never had the rain squeal. My stock V70R did have it. I did the JRL mod and have never had another problem with squeal. I drive 100 miles a day and have taken multiple long trips and can tell you it sounds great. No drone, not loud or obnoxious. If you do anything other than the JRL mod you'll be wasting your money and time.

·
Registered
383 Posts

I know absolutely nothing? Can you elaborate please? What did I post that was wrong? If you're referring to the law part of my post, then I can assure you that Virginia has a statute that prohibits any modification to the stock setup. Is it enforced? Not really unless your exhaust is too loud.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know absolutely nothing? Can you elaborate please? What did I post that was wrong? If you're referring to the law part of my post, then I can assure you that Virginia has a statute that prohibits any modification to the stock setup. Is it enforced? Not really unless your exhaust is too loud.
Alright guys, Everyone's got their opinion based on their own experiences, that's what I was looking to hear out of this thread. No need to be accusing people of misleading. I appreciate everyone's input.

I did read mixed reviews about the Volvo replacement part. I'm definitely not going that route. Seems too expensive for not enough assurance that it will actually fix the problem. I'll probably talk to my local inspection station to hear his input on the res removal first. Because in the end, if he says that ain't gonna fly, then I'm not going to do it anyways. Keep the suggestions/experiences rolling though if you've got them, this is great info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seeing those exhausts makes me just want to get one of those installed lol.

This is easy ... look under the exact center of the car, just behind the resonator. You don't even have to jack-up the car. If you see the bracket, get a 10 mm wrench (adjustable monkey wrench will work -- it just takes longer) or socket, and remove the two bolts that hold it in place. It's only there to prevent the exhaust and or prop shaft from falling down and catching on a hole in the road and pole-vaulting your car into a flip. Don't worry.... that never happens. (wink wink). There have, however, been many many cases of that bracket catching on a speed bump or driveway transistion and bending up into the prop shaft and bending the prop shaft. I personally know three people in my area to whom this has happened. It cost them thousands to get a new prop shaft ! As you can see from my photos, my bracket has hit my driveway several times, and it's not even steep!

As for your resonator squeal, Volvo does make a kit comprising a modified exhaust hanger with rubber mounts that holds the exhaust DOWN away from the prop shaft.

it bolts on to where the bracket is (was) proving that even Volvo doesn't know why they put the bracket there.

I bought one of these and it's crap. Since then I have installed a downpipe (actually I've had several on my car) and have had the opposite problem: my resonator is too low ! If you feel creative you can go to the home store and buy a strap of aluminum (or steel) and cut it and drill two holes and mount it where the center bracket was to hold your exhaust up or down. I had to do this for years (to hold it up) when I had the 3.5 inch Evolve downpipe on -- which made the rest of the exhaust too low.

Seriously -- rain squeal does not happen that often, and doesn't last long -- it's really not a big deal structurally ...

You can have an exhaust shop remove the resonator and weld in a straight pipe. Don't expect to ever enjoy driving your car on a trip -- ever -- again.
The drone will make you insane.

don't listen to Mendo -- he's never been on a trip without his resonator.

My proof that the resonator is essential is the two best high-performance exhaust systems made for our cars: the TME Sweden, and the Farrita system, BOTH HAVE CENTER RESONATORS.

Ferrita exhaust for Volvo R ... . showing center resonator.

The TME Sweden exhaust (the one I have on my VR) has documented dyno test that it supports over 500 hp.

leave the resonator on, get the Volvo kit to hold the resonator down if your squeal is really bad.

have you tried bending the exhaust a bit ??? just pull down on it and see what happens.

DO NOT BUY THE IPD OR EURO SPORT TUNING CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEMS -- THEY ARE LOUD AS SHIP, AND WILL DRIVE YOU TO MURDER.

their downpipes are fine. .... just stay away from their cat-backs. If you buy a performance downpipe use the factory stock cat-back ... dyno testing shows it's as good or better than aftermarket.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My recent JRL mod is fine. I did it myself by renting the tools at autozone and using clamps. Its short term until I finish my 3" straight pipe borla.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts