SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting my S60 out of commission for about a month, I finally got the Haldex AWD working again (Yes, it was the AOC pump!). But, I figured out that I had no AWD when the car was at operating temperature. I checked electrical voltage, current, and other parameters through a data logger and everything seems good. I ordered some fiberglass exhaust wrap from Amazon and the problem went away. Thanks, Volvo, for allowing me to finish the job!

Don't mind the botched exhaust work. It was there when I bought it!

·
Registered
512 Posts
That's interesting.

I have read about the awd failure and worried about it. I serviced the units w/fluid and filters, re-sealed and retorqued the DEM cover on each (each had one loose bolt), and I put a factory heat shield on mine. This sounds like cheap insurance going forward though; great idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting.

I have read about the awd failure and worried about it. I serviced the units w/fluid and filters, re-sealed and retorqued the DEM cover on each (each had one loose bolt), and I put a factory heat shield on mine. This sounds like cheap insurance going forward though; great idea.
Do you have a link to a factory heat shield? I can't find one anywhere on the internet and I didn't think the P2 S60's had one. If the fiberglass wrap ends up not working, I'll either make a heat shield or buy one, and I don't want to buy the $50 IPD one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I understand the Volvo ones are not longer available. They look like this:

I also didn't like iPd's price so I was thinking to fabricate one myself, then found a factory one on Ebay for $25.

Looks like maybe some are still available, but not much cheaper than iPd's somewhat beefier looking one:

From reading old threads, it looks like these were stock on S80s and then released for purchase. Maybe you could find one off a P2 S80?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand the Volvo ones are not longer available. They look like this:

I also didn't like iPd's price so I was thinking to fabricate one myself, then found a factory one on Ebay for $25.

Looks like maybe some are still available, but not much cheaper than iPd's somewhat beefier looking one:

From reading old threads, it looks like these were stock on S80s and then released for purchase. Maybe you could find one off a P2 S80?
Well the IPD one certainly looks beefier, but the OEM one from Tasca Parts is about $11 cheaper on sale.

I'll keep an eye on the DEM and see if I need one. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
512 Posts
iPd has 10% sales often (one now). Also their shipping is way cheaper than those discount sites. So at the moment it’s like three dollars more.

Grab some poly sub-frame inserts if you don’t have any, and give yourself a post Christmas treat! 😉

These are fantastic. Much bigger difference in my XC than the S 60, but worth it if you don’t want to spend $$ on solid.

If I don’t find a 2nd S80 one cheap, I will probably get the iPd one before summer. Come spring I’m also going to take your idea and wrap the exhaust near the DEM. Glad you pointed this out, great idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iPd has 10% sales often (one now). Also their shipping is way cheaper than those discount sites. So at the moment it’s like three dollars more.

Grab some poly sub-frame inserts if you don’t have any, and give yourself a post Christmas treat! 😉

These are fantastic. Much bigger difference in my XC than the S 60, but worth it if you don’t want to spend $$ on solid.

If I don’t find a 2nd S80 one cheap, I will probably get the iPd one before summer. Come spring I’m also going to take your idea and wrap the exhaust near the DEM. Glad you pointed this out, great idea.
Thanks for the recognition! I am hoping I won't need the exhaust shield, but if I do, I'll first fashion one out of the side panel of an old desktop computer I have laying around.

I also just ordered a bunch of new goodies for my S60. An oil catch can (I don't know the state of the PCV system and I'm smelling oil on highway pulls, as well as seeing oil on the turbo), an IPD poly upper engine mount, torque rod poly bushings, and LiquiMoly MoS2 for an extra boost. After all, the old girl has 263k on her!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts