SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new Volvo owner and in need of dear help.

I bought a 2007 S40 T5 6 speed 178,000 miles that was allegedly a special order from Sweden and shipped to the US. The original owner was in the military and allegedly ordered it and brought it back them.

When I bought the car it needed new struts. I got those swapped out and then I had to replace a motor mount.

After both of those issues were fixed my wife was driving the car and then all of a sudden she went to make a turn and the clutch went to the floor and would not move. Luckily I was behind her in my Pilot and was able to trade vehicles and get it home. I was able to get it into 1st - 3rd then I got to a stop sign and as I was taking off the clutch popped back where its supposed to be and we were good. I let it sit for a few days and then attempted to drive it. I pulled it out of the driveway and tried to back in back in. It went into reverse with ease but as soon as I was letting off the clutch something popped and the clutch went to the floor.

I had a mechanic buddy of mine come look at it and he said he thinks it is the clutch cable but wasn't sure because he didn't know much about Volvos so I am turning to you guys for help.

What do you think it may be and if it is indeed the clutch cable, would I have to drop the transmission to get to it? What would you recommend I do?

·
Registered
594 Posts
No clutch cable, it's hydraulic. I'm guessing clutch slave cylinder issues (requires transmission removal), but I'm curious about the popping noise and how it fixed itself. I'd take a look at the pedal and make sure everything looks like it's working right there.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
In older years that pushrod is plastic and known to snap. The replacement is now metal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts