SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced all of the valves due to an oil leak breaking down and throwing the outer belt, wrapping the crank, and throwing out the timing. I'm ready to lock down the back of the cams and reinstall the cover and cams. My question is, is their a procedure to determine the proper crank position other than using the outer marks? I've read about removing the starter and inserting a tool and turning the crank back against it. I want to make sure the timing is all correct so as not to damage valves again. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
The crank locking tool basically places the crank in the same position you can see with the front mark, but it also gives it a hard ccw stop. It's basically not necessary. Just be careful when installing and tightening the new t-belt that nothing moves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crank locking tool basically places the crank in the same position you can see with the front mark, but it also gives it a hard ccw stop. It's basically not necessary. Just be careful when installing and tightening the new t-belt that nothing moves.
Thanks for the help, I've got the crank marks lined up and I'm just waiting for the cam locking tool to arrive. I think my only wild card will be tightening the cam gears bolts, while locked, without the gears rotating. I may try to devise a way to hold them as the center bolt is tightened. I do see that the mark on the gear is for future belt change alignment and needs to be reinstalled to the cover mark to assure cam position without pulling the rear caps.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
You tighten those bolts with the timing belt on, the tensioner maxed, the gears in position and the cam lock in place. Follow the steps to the letter and you'll be fine. You've seen the threads in the sticky?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You tighten those bolts with the timing belt on, the tensioner maxed, the gears in position and the cam lock in place. Follow the steps to the letter and you'll be fine. You've seen the threads in the sticky?
No, but I'll look into. I'm reading everything applicable before I finish the reassembly. Thanks again for the help. It probably won't be the last time I'm in need of direction considering I have two Volvos and the cost of shop time. Fortunately, they were both one owner and well taken care of except for this oil leak which became a Pandora's box. I'm used to working on Chevys and Fords. Not to say that they are any better, just different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts