SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm nearing 101k miles and I'm pretty sure my struts are shot. My car doesn't absorb shock anymore. Anytime I go over a bump or a pothole I feel like my car is going to break in half, it almost hurts and I'm sure it hurts the car more. I have noticed this for a while, but apparently I haven't noticed how worse it has gotten since I drive it all the time. I think it's finally time I do something about it. I have owned this car for almost 3 years, and I have no idea if the previous owner did any major work to the car (I found that the splash guard was attached to the undercarriage by screws not torx) but my guess is nothing to the struts. Exactly what parts do you think I should replace (even the springs?) and do you recommend to buy Genuine/OEM for certain parts? My car is FWD, but I should replace all the struts and related parts right?

Also, my turn signal lever is broken. Not completely snapped off, but it constantly turns on my right signal even though I'm not pushing it up. Just a mere gentle tap from the bottom causes it to signal right. I currently have a piece folded paper wedged in there to stop it from constantly signaling right, but as soon as I hit a bump on the road it happens again. Not to mention any time I actually have to signal. To fix I have to push it down before it clicks in and signals left to stop it from signaling right, then gently push it up right into the middle, and hope it doesn't move again. But a lot of the time this doesn't work, and I'm driving for minutes with my car signaling right while I fidget with it until it stops. What could be the issue here? A broken pin? I have no idea if the previous owner really slammed on the arm when making a turn, but something inside of it broke.

I'm going to be taking my car to a family friend's garage to look at to let me know what he thinks, but he also doesn't know Volvos all too well, so I am asking so I can give him some info that may help him. And lastly, I'm sure they're going to inspect the general condition of my car, but is there anything else I should be doing at 101k miles? As you may have guessed I don't have the tools, knowledge, experience or confidence to do this myself.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The car should still have good life in it at 101K and worth sinking a little effort and $$$ into.

Struts are likely bad. Along with the struts, replace the front strut mounts and strut bearings as these are also likely bad. Probably don't need springs unless they are broken (not likely).

The rear shock mounts are probably ok but should be inspected.

Inspect all the control arm bushings (front and rear). The front lower control arm bushings are common to start going bad with that mileage. If they are bad, I recommend replacing the entire lower control arm (comes with bushings and ball joint already installed).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! We did my struts and shocks and it feels so much tighter and doesn't bottom out anymore! He said those were some of the worst struts he has ever seen, he doesn't know how I was driving with them. Instead of needing to be pushed real hard to go down, the silver part just fell down with gravity. I normally take care of my car, but I guess I really didn't notice how bad it got since I drive it every day.

As for the turn signal stalk, is the replacement as simple as unscrewing things to expose the stalk, pull the old one out and put the new one in? Something someone with little knowledge and experience about cars can do? I'd do it because I enjoy working on my car, and I don't want to bother my friend again for something so small. Also this definitely sounds like the stalk is at fault right? Of course I won't absolutely know until I replace it, but I just wanted to make sure that something else might be wrong and replacing the stalk isn't going to fix.

Thanks!

Was this from an S40? Will the dealer have to program it for any new stalk I install for the scroll wheel to work?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Yes, the replacement is that simple.

Do you currently have a scroll wheel?
If yes, replace the stalk with the one pictured & you are good to go.
If no, replace the stalk with the one pictured & you are good except... The scroll function (trip computer) will not function.
If you currently have no trip computer function & want to add it you will need software programmed at the dealer. Price is ridiculous at more than $300 last I checked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, the replacement is that simple.

Do you currently have a scroll wheel?
If yes, replace the stalk with the one pictured & you are good to go.
If no, replace the stalk with the one pictured & you are good except... The scroll function (trip computer) will not function.
If you currently have no trip computer function & want to add it you will need software programmed at the dealer. Price is ridiculous at more than $300 last I checked.
Yes I have a scroll wheel and it works. So that part is from a 2006 or 2007 V50 2.4i, he says it will definitely fit he just doesn't know if it will have to be reprogrammed for the scroll wheel to work, knowing Volvos.

As you can see above, I just took it apart just to make sure there wasn't something stuck or jamming the little white switch. And not that I can see. There's definitely a problem with it when I have it plugged into the steering column, the right signal is too sensitive. But just messing around with it unplugged I can't feel or see a problem. It locks in one direction when I push the stalk up or down, and I have to push the pin the other way to get it back in the middle.

On a side note, is this oil some sort of lubricant? You can also see it in the steering column, right on that black part to the right of the connector. Jut making sure but that's supposed to be there right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts